Thunderbird Updates 2024
Dream Believe Achieve
February 5, 2024
Strive to be Honest
Can you believe it is finally February?!? Our school family has been busy with numerous clubs, sports, activities and more! This is a regular school week before our next steps and Parent Teacher Conference days next week.
- Advisory teachers will reach out if they feel your kiddo needs a conference. We plan to have appointment slots 4:15-7:30pm on Thursday, 2/15, and 8:30-12pm on Friday, 2/16. 8th graders should attend their home high school school registration even if you plan to put in a transfer request.
- 2/13, 2/15 and 2/16- ACCESS testing for our Emergent Bilingual students through Bilingual Language Arts classes. The test consists of Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. Please encourage your kiddo to attend school regularly this week and try their best!
- All current 6th and 7th grade students should have returned their signed 24-25 course selection cards for next year. Please contact your child's advisory teacher with questions.
- We have LCHS tutors that will be joining BUG to assist with tutoring. M/TU will be focused on math and Wed/TH will be focused on English skills.
- Parents, I would like to share a specific dress code issue that seems to be growing rapidly. We are seeing an increase in clothing referencing illegal substances and gang or gang-like affiliation, specifically groups intentionally wearing the colors red, blue, bandanas, sagging, and not securing the extra length of a belt. While we understand freedom of expression within appropriate school boundaries, we will call home and request a change of clothes in instances where policy is violated and it is a distraction to the learning environment. LCPS Board Policy JICA-R states that "wearing, possessing, using, distributing, displaying, or selling any clothing, jewelry, eyeglasses, emblem, badge, symbol, sign, or other item which is evidence of membership/affiliation in any gang or which is related to potentially violent or illegal activities is prohibited. Additional prohibited items are listed in Policy JICF – Violent, Gang, and/or Gang- Like Activities, and JICF-R." We appreciate your support with this matter.
- Please visit our Facebook and share the upcoming PFO sponsored "Run Your Heart Out" fun run scheduled for Valentine's Day (morning assembly schedule). We need your help getting sponsors for your kiddo. All of the funds go right back into supporting student activities that we wouldn't be able to afford on our own. Please considering getting donations and/or volunteering on the day of the event. Thanks, PFO!!!
- FFA is taking pre-order for Valentine's gifts through this Thursday. Check out the flyer and pricing below.
Best wishes to our STUGO group as they represent Zia at the NMASC leadership conference. We are proud of your commitment and hours of preparation with guidance from Ms. Perez-Luna. Go Thunderbirds!
Dream, Believe, Achieve!
Dr. Baker, Principal
Condensed Boys Basketball Schedule
ZIA FFA Fundraiser
Valentines Pre-Orders due by THURSDAY, 2/8
See Ms. Lindberg, C47
My child cannot make it to BUG. Are there other options?
If your kiddo cannot attend BUG for tutoring and homework support, please encourage use of PAPER, a 24/7 online tutor available through the Clever app in Canvas.
BUG referral: https://form.jotform.com/232038863004147
Advisory Progress and Attendance Reporting Dates
requires parent signature and return
February 14, 28
April 10, 24
May 8, 22