Department of Defense
By Raahmes Glin
- The Army,Navy,and Marine were established in 1775 in concurrence to the American revolution.
- The War Department was made in 1789.
- A year later the Coastal Guard was established.(1790)
- After that the Navy was founded.
- This department would replace the War Department which would become the Air Force.
- Then the three branches of military were placed under he control of the Secretary of Defense.
- In 1949 there was an amendment to the National Security Act further strengthening the National defense structure by taking away cabinet-level status from the three service secretaries .It is renamed the Department of Defense
- The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest agency.Our military traces back to pre revolutionary times and has grown with our nation.
- The purpose or mission of the Department of Defense is to stop war and protect the safety of our country.
- The Department of Defense headquarters are located at the Pentagon.
- The Pentagon is one of the world's largest office buildings.
Secretaries and leaders:
- The secretary of Defense is the main adviser to the president.
- With the permission of the President the Secretary exercises direction and control over the Department of Defense.
- The Deputy of Secretary(second highest official in Department of Defense) is given full power and authority to act for the Secretary and use the powers of one on any and all matters for which the Secretary is authorized to act.
- Today, the Department of Defense is lead by Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel.
- He is in charge of the military and employs thousands of civilians.
- with over 1.4 million people on active duty,and 718,000 civilian personnel it is the nations largest employee.
- Another 1.1million serve the National guard and reserve forces.
- More than 2 million civilians recieve benefits.