Salcha Family Newsletter
Science Fair Week!!!
A big thank you to Theresa Loveless for continuing her annual tradition of serving the Salcha students and staff her famous green eggs and ham!
The staff, students, and families cannot thank Maria Baker, Ms. Connie the Lifeguard, Ms. Tori and all of Salcha Elementary School's wonderful and dedicated parent volunteers enough for their hard work and support throughout our 3rd quarter swimming classes! It absolutely would not have been possible without them all, so huge thanks from Salcha School!!!
Spring Break is March 13 - March 17
- This Friday, March 10, is an early out with a 2:00 dismissal.
Salcha’s Science Fair is upon us! You may bring projects into school on Monday, March 6 or Tuesday, March 7 BEFORE school. Judging will begin as soon as the judges are briefed on Tuesday morning.
After school support is available Monday, March 6 util 5:00.
Each project gets judged by two judges. Encourage your young scientist to use their board in their oral presentation. Don’t forget those sources and credit for adults who helped. That is where points are lost, usually.
Everyone can receive a first place ribbon if the highest mark on each section of the rubric is met. Only a select few will make it to the District’s science fair, which happens the week after spring break.
Please, visit the fair after school until 5:00 to see how your child’s project did and celebrate their learning. You can also vote for the People’s Choice Award for your favorite project.
Here is the link again to find judging forms and other information:
Artist in Residence begins this week!!!
- Ms. Daniella will lead one art lesson per class, each week for the next three weeks
- Each student will be bringing home three wonderful works of art (1/lesson)
- Mondays: Mrs. Schlumbohm
- Wednesdays: Ms. Cox
- Fridays: Ms. Connell
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- Science Fair: 3/7
- Early Dismissal: 3/10
- Spring Break: 3/13-3/17
- Mrs. Schlumbohm UAF field trip: 3/20
- AIMSWeb spring assessment window opens for K-2: 3/20
- Ms. Cox Auto Museum field trip: 3/23
TITLE I Information...
OTHER WAYS TITLE FUNDS SUPPORT YOUR CHILD:
- Each of our classes will be enjoying two academic field trips throughout the second semester.
- The week before Spring Break, each class will receive three 1-hour art sessions with a local artist and get to take home their very own canvas painting.
- In May, students will work with the same artist and paint a Salcha mural for our school.
- Our outdoor school in May will have creative centers for learning spread around the school that students will rotate through.
- May 2nd is our Family Reading Night where students will get to take home their very own books we purchased for them via the Barnes and Noble website.
- On May 11th, the entire school will take a 2-hour trip to the Salcha River.
All of the above, as well as all we've done to date, is funded by our Title I funds. When enough families complete the free and reduced meal application, we continue to qualify as a Title I school. Families can support this process by completing the application at the beginning of each new school year.
- If we do not have enough families complete the application process, we could lose our Title I status and the funding that comes with it.
- Even if you feel your family may not qualify, it truly helps us the most if 100% of our families complete the application each year.
- I have attached a link to the application, below.
- Take a look at the UAF Family Programs being offered, below!
- When dropping off late students, remember to please call or sign in at the front office so that (Administrative Secretary) can excuse the absence. Classroom teachers submit their attendance by 9:30 AM.
Thank you for all you do!
Mrs. Gray - Extended Learning Program (ELP) Newsletter
Online Free & Reduced Meal Application
All qualifying families must register for each new school year.
Museum of the North - Family Programs
The Student Support Services department has many resources to help students and families at the beginning of the school year. Please reach out to these team members if you have questions or are seeking support for a student in need.
For the most up-to-date bus information to include registering for stops.
Location: Salcha Elementary School, Richardson Highway, Salcha, AK, USA