December 2nd, 2022
We are a Masterpiece. Let's Make Our Mark.
There are many exciting events in the weeks ahead! Please take a moment to review our upcoming events section at the bottom of this communication.
- Thank you to all our families who were able to attend our Parent-Teacher Conferences. Our team is appreciative of your time and continued commitment to developing our partnership to result in the best possible experience for your child(ren) and our students.
- A huge shout out to our PTA volunteers who helped us coordinate an OUTSTANDING book fair. We appreciate everyone's support.
- Thank you to our recent participants who were able to attend our Principal's Advisory Committee. Your insight and suggestions will make such a difference as we continue to create a Churchill masterpiece. Summary notes are on the way!
From the Health Office 🌡
Continue to do a daily health check before sending your child to school. If your child has a fever or symptoms that will interfere with their ability to access learning, we would ask that you keep them home. Our team will be able to catch your child up on anything that was missed. If they have been unwell and are confirmed COVID free, please send them back to school once they have been fever free for 24 hours and have manageable symptoms. We appreciate your help in keeping everyone healthy. While your child's attendance is crucial to their success, their health and the health of others must be made a priority.
Food Service Update - Hot Lunch 🍕
Due to the recent and long-awaited installation of new ovens, our cafeterias will have a "soft re-opening" serving hot lunches twice a week. The first hot lunch will be served on Thursday, December 8th. After winter break, hot lunches will be served full-time starting on Wednesday, January 11.
Just a quick reminder that the price of a school lunch is $3.15, and our lunch system is CASHLESS. Lunch money can be advanced into your student's account via the Parent Portal. Lunch menus are subject to change but will always be updated on our website, HSD153.org.
Arrival and Dismissal Reminders 🚗
- Using the arrival and dismissal carline is safest. There is minimal traffic and back-up during either of these times. When using the carline for arrival and dismissal, regardless of what entry door is used, you must pull all the way forward. Not doing so, creates an unnecessary back-up for the cars behind you.
- If you direct your child to walk and meet at a designated spot, please ensure they are immediately exiting campus and are familiar with your expected procedures. Please make sure they know to return to school if they are not able to find you or are unsure of what to do. We would prefer that all families use the designated carline as it is safest and runs smoothly.
- We continue to have a few families who use 190th and the staff parking lot as a drop-off zone. We continue to see serious safety concerns and even near misses due to this continued practice. We would ask that all families refrain from using 190th street for any car or foot traffic during arrival and dismissal. This area is ONLY for busses. Any student in this area MUST be accompanied by an adult.
- REMEMBER: Student arrival is after 8:15am and student pick-up is before 3:30pm.
In the event we have inclement weather or need to call for e-learning, there is important information you and your child will need in order to participate. Please review the bullet points below and the homeroom schedules specific to your child(ren).
- If an e-learning day is called by HSD 153, Churchill will also send out notification. This notification will be followed by additional information from your child's teacher. Please be on the lookout for these communications so the day runs smoothly for everyone.
- If your child will be absent, please call 708-647-2200.
- Students will be logging into live instruction as their schedule indicates. Attendance/Check-In, Math, Reading, PE, and Specials are all live instructional blocks. Students must be logged into their school issued device and on their teacher's respective Teams page to access the correct meeting link. Tech and teacher teams will be working with students to ensure they have this information and have practiced logging in.
- Following lunchtime, students will be have independent assignments on Teams and extra skills practice tasks while the teacher is available by way of Teams or email (Office Hours). Students must check their teachers' respective Teams pages (including PE and Specials) and complete work that is assigned.
- If a student does not show progress on their assigned work, the homeroom teacher will be checking-in before the end of the independent work block. Additional assistance is also available to those students who receive special education services, EL, intervention, etc. These staff members will connect with students via Teams or are available for requests for assistance.
- Staff members have a block of plan time during which they are collaborating with peers or preparing for instruction. They may not be immediately available during this time period.
- On an e-learning day, email or classroom platform (Remind, Dojo, etc.) is the best way to communicate as there will not be staff onsite to answer telephones.
- If you have technical difficulties, you may submit a tech ticket at this link: Family Tech Ticket Link