Patrick Henry Post
October 18, 2019
Reading and Writing Exploration
I had the opportunity to interview students about their experiences with books this week. Here are a few highlights from my conversations:
- "I really like this book because it is all about animals and I love animals SO SO MUCH. I want to have all the animals in the world. I really love this book!"
- "Reading is cool. That's why I like to do it."
- "My mom told me I have to read, but I do it anyway because it is actually really fun."
- "I am reading a book about fishies. Fishies live in the ocean. Did you know that?"
- "This book is SO FUNNY. I just laugh and laugh when I read it. You have to read this thing! It really will make you feel good."
- "I didn't used to have a favorite book but I think this one might be it now. I am not sure yet. I will let you know when I'm finished."
- "That reading room is cool because you can lay down when you're reading and I like to do that because it feels better than sitting up and reading. I don't know why, I just like it better when you're all comfy and then you can just think about the book and you don't have to think about how you're not comfy enough."
Students throughout Patrick Henry have been building up their reading stamina, and this week showed me just how far we have come in providing opportunities for reading and writing. We are excited about what our students have done in both subjects, but we are most excited for the students' excitement when it's time to pick up a great book and dive into a new world! Keep it up, Patrick Henry students and staff!