The Gower Gazette
Follow us on Twitter @MsGowersClass
In The News...
Please make sure you read this section in its entirety as there is important info about coming events and mid-year assessments! =)
Happy Saturday! We had a great week at WSES and I am very proud of the kids for doing such a good job with our sub on Tuesday and Wednesday. I had a training on Tuesday where I learned about some awesome technology to implement in our classroom and on Wednesday I had to help my daughter bring some of her things home from UNCW for the holiday break. Mrs. Whitney left me great notes about how well behaved the kids were and how hard they worked.
Next week begins Mid-Year assessments in reading. This includes: Nonsense Word Fluency, Oral Reading Fluency, and TRC to determine his/her reading level. The children will have to write written responses to the books he/she reads during these assessments. We have been working on learning RAP which is a acronym to help the kids learn how to evaluate their responses. R stands for restate the question, A means to answer ALL parts and P is to prove your answer with details/words from the book. The kids seemed to understand how to use RAP to check their writing. It will be important for your child to be well rested next week and to have a good breakfast each morning so that he/she is ready to do their best reading. Once all assessment data is complete on every child, I will send home the results. The kids have worked really hard and I can't wait to see how much they've grown from the start of the year.
Our Holiday Party is on Friday at 9:30. An invitation was sent home yesterday in your child's Friday Folder. Please try to come if you are able to do so. The kids are excited to wrap up our unit on cultures and traditions with this fun party that will take us around the world. Please sign up to help with the items needed for the party. Here is the sign up link: https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/10c0d44a9aa2da57-holidays
Most of you noticed that on your child's behavior contract there were two additional dates: Ugly Christmas Sweater & PJ & Stuffed Animal Day. These are a big tradition in my classroom. On Tues. Dec. 20th we will have an Ugly Christmas Sweater Contest. If you have one, have your child wear it, if you don't have one then just send your child in with Christmas colors that day. PJ & Stuffed Animal day is my most favorite tradition. This is wear we sit in front of a "virtual" fire place get cozy and read Twas the Night Before Christmas. After the story, the kids "fall asleep" and awake to a Christmas gift from Santa (aka Mrs. Ratliff and me). We then enjoy cookies and milk while watching a holiday movie. It's a day the kids LOVE.
As you can see the next week and a half are full with lots of things to do from assessments, to parties, to traditions in our classroom. I hope to see you all at our party on Friday and hope that your weekend is wonderful!
We Could Use...
- Dec. 12-Dec. 21- Mid Year Assessments Begin
- Dec. 16- Holidays Around the World Party @9:30
- Dec. 20- Ugly Christmas Sweater Contest
- Dec. 21- My Class Tradition- PJs & Stuffed Animal Day- Twas the Night Before Christmas (Presents will be delivered) & Report Cards Go Home!
- Dec. 22-Jan. 2: Holiday Break
- Jan. 16- No School
- Jan. 20th- Early Release & Track Out
- Please don't forget to sign up to bring an item to our Holiday Party. The sign up link is below this section.
- Report Cards will go home on Wed. Dec. 21st.
- Project Grades were suppose to go home yesterday, but were not filed. I will send these home with your child next Friday. The projects were awesome.
- We used a new app this week called Seesaw. The kids recorded "How to do a Zoomer" for our science this week. It was really cool to use; ask your child about this. I tweeted a video of the kids using Seesaw. Check it out!
- Assessments start next week. Make sure your child is rested and has had a good breakfast.