News and notes for the week of January 31st, 2022
B - Week!
Courtyard Lunch Assignments for the week of 1/31/2022
KMS Courtyard Diagram
Principal's Message to Hornet Families for the week of 1/31/2022
Great evening fantastic families,
We are now entering our 5th week of the Spring semester and excited about the next 6 weeks which will take us into Spring Break. A Couple of quick housekeeping items were menitoned this week and I want to take this opportunity to address. Although delicious, students cannot sell Girl Scout cookies or any other food items during the regular school hours.Doing so would be a violation of national nutritional standards. We have received a few requests for core class changes for students and since this is not a scheduling best practice we will not make core class changes for our students from this point forward. Only emergency exceptions will be made.
This past week we received our budgets for school year 2022 - 2023 and began our choice sheet process with elementary school students. This upcoming week we look forward to acquiring our 7th grade choice sheets and 6th grade choice sheets thereafter. We are excited about building a strong, equity based, student-focused master schedule this year. Our teachers did a great job of adding more creative choices on the choice sheets. We are also still working to fill our current campus vacancies. This weeek we have Magnet Director, Science, and Math interviews scheduled. Just this past week we interviewed for Magnet director, Book Keeper, counselor, and we finally on boarded Ms. Marsha Parris our 7th grade Math teacher. Thank you all for signing up for the lunch monitor support spreadsheet. We are excited to have more parents on the campus. #BEGREATmentality #ProgressNotPerfection
Budget Time Line
1/31 - Share budget details with staff
2/3 - Share budget details with PTA
2/3 & 2/4 - 7th grade choice sheets through the Social Studies Classes (choices will influence budget decisions)
2/17 - share budget details & workshop with CAC
3/3 - Budget workshop with PTA
3/11 - Budget due to AISD
4/15 - CAC signature Sheets due
Please join us on Thursday morning (Feb 3) at 8 am for a PTA meeting (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87445913549?pwd=Q2VTQVFSZUplbkxuWG5zVWRsTkEyQT09)
The second gift drop for secret pals will be on February 15th and 16th. This is a great way that we show some love to our teachers. If you missed sign ups for secret pals and would like to participate, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have been testing a new communication tool that can be used for volunteer sign ups, directory, announcements, donations and more. We will be launching the directory aspect very soon. Watch for more information through the herald, the facebook group and school messenger.
Not a Kealing PTA member, yet? Click the link below to join Kealing PTA.
The Kealing PTA Executive Board
Gift from parents last week!
2021-2022 Initiatives and Goals
1.) Daily Formative Assessment
2.) Literacy in Every Classroom
3.) Standards Aligned Instruction
4.) Progress Monitoring
Utilizing an array of assessments (MAP- Measure of Academic Progress, SCA - AISD Short Course Assessment, and STAAR - State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness), the percentage of each demographic/special group of students performing at the meets level in Math & English will increase by at least 5% - 10% from August 17th, 2021 to May 27th,2022.
- TBA (we are still working on this but planning to look at the types of counseling visits our students are requesting)
KMS Safety Protocols as of 1/30/2021
Mask wearing is mandatory
All staff, students, and visitors are encouraged to self screen for COVID 19 symptoms before entering into a campus or other Austin ISD Facilities each day
- We will maintain outdoor markers to social distance
- we will encourage moving halls where students are encourage to not stop while transitioning to classes
- staggered release
- We are seating/desks at least 3 feet apart when feasible
- Each classroom has a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filtration unit
- Personal Protective Equipment will be available in each room
- Plexiglass dividers available
- Additional outdoor seating (2 outdoor classrooms & the courtyard if teachers plan to use)
Breakfast & Lunch
- Assigned seating
- Students are allowed to eat lunch both inside the cafeteria and outside in the courtyard
- Plexiglass accordian dividers
-Volunteer lunch monitors
- The courtyard comfortably seats 4 classes, which is from 25% - 100% of the lunch capacity for each lunch period.
- we will have staggered dismissal where scholars will be dismissed by areas of the building to reduce traffic.
Please click to see the most update Positive Case Updates pertaining to our campus. Our most recent letter went out January 28th, 2022.
Monday - January 31st - B Day (5th - 8th Periods)
Tuesday - February 1st - A Day (1st - 4th Periods)
Principal's Coffee @ 7:30a - 8:30a, Virtual Only click here for zoom link
2's Day - Wear only 2 colors to celebrate 2/2/22
Wednesday - February 2nd- B Day (5th - 8th Periods)
Thursday - February 3rd - A Day (1st - 4th Periods)
KMS PTA meeting 7:30a - 8:30a, click here for zoom link
Kealing Boys Basketball vs Murchison Middle School @ 6p & 7p
Friday - February 4th - B Day (5th - 8th Periods)
National Counselor Appreciation Week
2/7 & 2/8 - 6th grade choice sheets
2/8 - PTA Coffee Cart
2/10 - Kealing Boys Basketball vs Burnet @6p
2/11, 2/12, and 2/13 - Annie!!
Entries must be submitted by Thursdays weekly to be included in the upcoming week's communication.
This Past Week on Campus
Mr. Barton takes his lesson outside the classroom!
February 8th Coffee Cart for Teachers!
In an effort to say "thank you" to Kealing's wonderful faculty and staff, Kealing PTA organizes coffee carts at least twice a year. We will have our first coffee cart of 2022 on Tuesday, 2/8. We will need volunteers to set up the carts and take them from room to room on both floors. Fresh bakery goods have to be dropped between 7-7:30 on Tuesday. But non-perishable items and packed goods can be dropped at the front main office on Monday 2/7. Please direct your questions Sarah Tower at email@example.com Thank you for your support!
Kealing Ultimate Frisbee Team Sign-ups
Our season runs from late March to early May and we practice on Tuesday and/or Thursdays after school. Email Mr. Natenberg or Ms. Crouch for more info.
Kealing Ultimate Frisbee Informational Meeting
There will be an Informational Meeting for Kealing Ultimate's spring season in the library on Tuesday, February 1st, 3:00-3:30pm. The Kealing Ultimate team is open to all grade levels, all genders, all programs. If you have any questions or can't attend the meeting, contact Coach Crouch (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Coach Natenberg (email@example.com). Hope to see you there!
COVID-19 Protection Drive
- Our next student-selected service project is a COVID-19 Protection Drive in which we are asking the Kealing Community to donate PPE and other related items to unhoused Austin community members.
- We need disposable masks (preferably surgical masks, KN95s, or N95s), hand sanitizer, and sanitizing wipes.
- The drive will run from February 1st through the 28th.
- Drop off items at Ms. Chambers’ room (116)
All Call for Supplies
National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) Induction Info
- ALL 7th and 8th graders eligible to join NJHS will be added to a blend course called “Kealing NJHS *CANDIDATES*”. To be considered eligible to join NJHS, you need an 85 or higher semester 1 average for all 4 cores + LOTE. (If you are already a NJHS member, you do not need to rejoin.)
- ALL information regarding what being a NJHS member means and how to join is available on the blend course.
- The FIRM DEADLINE to turn in your eligibility forms is Friday, February 4th. (The only exception to this is if a student is absent that day or misses multiple days that week.)
- If you have any questions about the blend course, or think you may have accidentally been missed, contact Ms. Chambers at firstname.lastname@example.org
KMS is looking for substitutes
The details: We've increased the base rate of substitute teacher pay for all levels. For example, degreed substitutes can now earn between $140 and $200 per day for filling a teacher assignment. We’ve also added compensation for supporting campuses when Austin-Travis County is in Stages 4 and 5.
We also expanded our eligibility requirements so that people with fewer than 60 college credit hours are eligible to work in elementary or middle schools.
Hopefully, we’ll get back to normal soon. In the meantime, if you know someone who would excel in a substitute role in AISD, point them to our website and encourage them to apply online.
CCCN Resources and Events
- Arts + Culture on the Butler Trail - The Trail Foundation is currently accepting applications from artists, designers, and creatives who live in Austin or have lived experience in the city, and who identify as traditionally non-white (Black, Chicano, Hispanic, Latino, Asian American, Indigenous). This call is for (but not limited to) visual, literary, spoken word, music, sound design, performance, dance, textile, and environmental arts backgrounds; designers in the fields of environmental, fashion, graphic, industrial, and similar design fields; as well as people who practice creative cultural traditions. Three creatives will be paid to collaborate on the design and installation of floating wetlands on Lady Bird Lake in spring 2022, incorporating artistic components and ecological function to the project. Applications are due February 4, 2022.
- Chipotle x Earth Force Sustainability Challenge - for educators or students working on an action project related to local food system issues, the Challenge is a chance for young people to create and implement projects that improve their food systems. The average grant size is $500-$1,000, with the first 100 complete submissions earning an extra $100. Apply by February 11th.
Julia Hill (she/her)
Program Coordinator – Cities Connecting Children to Nature
City of Austin | Parks & Recreation Department | Park Planning Division
+1 512-974-9466 | email@example.com
SYEP is offering summer employment opportunities to young people 14-17 years of age as well as young people with a disability up to the age of 22. Employment opportunities include 100 hours of paid learning/work experience.
Kealing prides itself on fostering a supportive & caring community, and one way it does that is through the Parent-Teacher Association. The PTA comprises families, teachers, administrators, students, and community members dedicated to enriching every student learning experience.
Your PTA membership makes Kealing a great community and unique learning environment. While our memberships number is at an impressive 486 members, we are 150 members short of the Texas PTA 3-year-high award. Let's finish this year with the largest PTA that Kealing has ever seen!!
To join the Kealing PTA hive, click the link below:
If you have Kealing PTA membership questions, please email Shannan Riemer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Join PTA? Watch this video to learn more about why you should join the Kealing PTA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzGtGcYdEFs
Please contact Kealing membership VP, Shannan Riemer, email@example.com, with any membership questions, comments, or concerns.
Yearbook Recognition Ads are Available! Pre-Order Your Yearbook Today!
How To Order Guide (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b6bv9eEqfKqLAyzyyYIIeYCaz3_e_xXY/view?usp=sharing)
Follow Us on Social Media
Hornet Herald - https://kealing.austinschools.org/parents/archive
Twitter - @KTXHornets
Webpage - https://kealing.austinschools.org/
Currently underconstruction and inactive Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance