Miller Elementary Weekly Update
October 7, 2022
Mrs. Goodman's Message
Hello Miller Families!
It's always a fun day when the fire truck makes a visit to school! This planned experience was something all of our preschoolers were looking forward to as we wrapped up our Fire Safety Week. The city of Aurora has an amazing fire department that takes the time to show our little ones that firefighters are safe adults. They might look and sound a little scary, but behind their mask is someone ready to help out. Our children had a chance to explore the truck, equipment, hoses, uniforms, and so much more! We want to thank the Aurora Fire Department for coming to Miller this week!
I want to put out another reminder about sending in warm jackets, hats, and gloves as the temperatures begin to drop. These cooler temps are likely to be sticking around and it's important that your child feels comfortable outside for recess. We are also asking that you check the extra clothes in your child's backpack and swap out summer items with fall/winter clothes. Sadly, I can't believe it's time to start thinking about the first snowflakes flying in the sky.
The month of October is filled with many upcoming events. Please see the specific communication about our Fall Conferences and Fall Festival Party on October 31st!
As a reminder, next weekend is a 4-day weekend for students. There is no school on Friday, October 14th, and Monday, October 17th as these days are for teacher professional development.
Have a wonderful weekend and stay warm if you are attending the Aurora homecoming football game!
Miller Elementary School - Principal
330-954-2189 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall Parent-Teacher Conferences
Fall Festival Party
This year, we want to celebrate the fall season with our students as well as enjoy the traditions of dressing up in costumes at school. I want to share some of the guidelines that we will be implementing for our Fall Parties so you can plan accordingly.
Preschool Fall Festival: Monday, October 31st, 10:30 AM & 2:30 PM
Kindergarten Fall Festival: Monday, October 31st, 10:30 AM (AM Kinder) & 2:30 PM (Full Day & PM Kinder)
- At Miller, we are asking that your child brings their costume to school in a bag and they will change before our party times. If your child needs to wear a portion of their costume (specific pants, leggings, or shirt) throughout the day, that is perfectly OK. Please advise that costumes need to be functional, school safe, no weapons can accompany a costume, and no full face coverings. Children will wear their costumes home on the bus.
- We will be working with our PTO headroom parents to plan fun games or activities, and specific visitors will be allowed into our school for the Fall Festival Party. All visitors will be checking in and no other siblings or guests will be able to attend. Thank you for your cooperation.
- We will have a weather-permitting outdoor costume parade where you can come up to the school and view all your wonderful children! A specific map and times will be shared closer to the date of our party. If the weather conditions are poor, the outdoor parade will be canceled and we will not hold an indoor event.
- The PTO will be supplying regular or gluten-free Oreos as a sweet treat for our party. More information about the snack will be forthcoming.
Please advise that our costume guidelines are different than the other buildings this year. Our children will not be wearing their costumes all day due to some challenges with restroom breaks throughout the day. We have learned from past experience that many costumes zip and snap in the back and children cannot manage this in the restroom independently.
If you would like to sign up to assist in your child's classroom during the Fall Festival, please use the link below to help out! Thank you!
School Counselor Updates: Mrs. Ambrosia
Greetings Miller Families! I had the pleasure of visiting the Kindergarten classrooms to introduce myself and review playground expectations this month. I’m sure your full-day Kindergarten student would love to show you their favorite activities on the playground using these Miller Playground Safety slides. All students did a great job explaining how they can be respectful, responsible and problem-solvers while on the playground!
Aurora City Schools also partners with several community organizations, including our very own PTO, to connect with families in need of community resources, food, clothing, funds for book fairs or holiday shops, and assistance with holiday gifting or celebrations. This form can be completed when a need arises. As always, please contact me at any time for more information.
Mrs. Lindsey Ambrosia
330.562.6199, ext. 5414
330.562.3175, ext. 1260
Important Dates and Events
Thursday, 10/13 - End of First Quarter
Friday, 10/14 - No School - NEOEA Day
Monday, 10/17 - No School - Teacher Professional Day
Thursday, 10/20 - Parent Teacher Conferences
Tuesday, 10/25 - Parent Teacher Conferences
Monday, 10/31 - Fall Festival Costume Party
Monday, 11/14 - Picture Retake Day
School Wide PBIS Skill of the Week
Our PBIS skill of cleaning up right away is reinforced with a Greenmen Proud Pom. When we see a child "cleaning up right away" they earn a pom and help to fill our class bucket and school bucket. You can try this at home to encourage the skill of cleaning up at home too!
We ask that you call Miller School at 330-562-6199 to either speak with Vicki Wolf or leave a message. Please share your child's first name, last name, teacher, and the reason for the absence. If they are going to an appointment, please ask for a doctor's note to have on file here at school. Thank you!
If your family will have a planned absence due to an event or vacation, you will need to fill out a planned absence form for our schools. Please send in a note requesting this form as soon as you know your anticipated date.
If your child is experiencing illness symptoms and you have questions for our school nurse, Jackie Pawlowski, you may call 330-954-2286. She can help answer any questions.
Important Updates from our Superintendent Mike Roberto
Important PTO Information
Hello Millier Families!
1. Monday, October 24 (11:00am-9:00pm) - Community give back day at Lee Angelos! Lee Angelos is giving back 20% of all sales on 10/24 to AEPTO.
2. Monday, October 31 - Fall Festival!
If you would like to volunteer to help plan the class parties, please click the link below. Please read all information on the sign up sheet. Party guidelines will be sent out to all volunteers.
School Nurse: Jackie Pawlowski
- Check your child each day for illness symptoms. If they begin to feel ill, please know she will assess your child and make contact with a family member when necessary.
- Students sent home with a fever, may not return to school until they are fever free without medication for at least 24 hours. This means if your child was sent home on Tuesday at 12:00 p.m. with a fever, he/she may not return to school until Thursday. If your child does return the next day, our school will be calling for you to come and pick him/her up. Please help to support our efforts in this area.
- Please make sure your Final Forms medical information is up to date. We will closely read the health sections to address any medical concerns.
Finally, please make sure your child has extra clothes in his/her backpack. Accidents and spills happen all the time and it's safe to always have their own clothes in their book bag instead of wearing our spare clothes.