Hoof Beats: Aspire, Grow, Succeed
SWE News for Big Horses
What IS My Child Learning?
The link above will take you to Onslow County Schools Standard Division Documents.These documents serve as a guide for what to teach and when to teach it. Some variations exist school to school but overall, these documents guide our teaching.
After clicking on the link, scroll down until you see the different grade levels.
Where can i get help if i don't know how to help my child?
- https://www.khanacademy.org/ The Kahn Academy Offers support for free. Grades K and up in all subject areas.
- Websites for Parents This link will take you to a page with many websites and apps recommended to support literacy in the elementary classrooms.
- Math and More This is a list of math-specific, and sometimes comprehensive, sites that support learning at home.
The best resource is your child's teacher! Ask them for help if you need help understanding what is being taught.
The Debunking of Two Myths
- I need to help my child get their homework correct. This is no longer the way we do things! We assign homework to check how much understanding your child has retained from the day's learning. If you help them to get it right, then the teacher will never know that your child really needs some more support. If your child cannot do the work, circle it and write a note to the teacher letting them know that your child tried but needs more support. Help your child by guiding them and reviewing their notes and learning but don't give them the answers.
- The work needs to be easier. My child is struggling! The struggle is GOOD. When we struggle, we learn. Teachers are experts at helping students stay in the ZONE OF PROXIMAL DEVELOPMENT where there is a struggle but not frustration. This is where the magic happens.
Need to know
Keeping On Top
As a parent, you are the greatest teacher and influence on your child's academic and life success. Ask questions and find answers. Just asking your child how their day was is not enough. Aske them specific questions. You can find some good ones below.
1. What was the best thing that happened at school today? (What was the worst thing that happened at school today?)
2. Tell me something that made you laugh today.
3. If you could choose, who would you like to sit by in class? (Who would you NOT want to sit by in class? Why?)
4. Where is the coolest place at the school?
5. Tell me a weird word that you heard today. (Or something weird that someone said.)
6. If I called your teacher tonight, what would she tell me about you?
7. How did you help somebody today?
8. How did somebody help you today?
9. Tell me one thing that you learned today.
10. When were you the happiest today?
11. When were you bored today?
12. If an alien spaceship came to your class and beamed someone up, who would you want them to take?
13. Who would you like to play with at recess that you’ve never played with before?
14. Tell me something good that happened today.
15. What word did your teacher say most today?
16. What do you think you should do/learn more of at school?
17. What do you think you should do/learn less of at school?
18. Who in your class do you think you could be nicer to?
19. Where do you play the most at recess?
20. Who is the funniest person in your class? Why is he/she so funny?
21. What was your favorite part of lunch?
22. If you got to be the teacher tomorrow, what would you do?
23. Is there anyone in your class who needs a time-out?
24. If you could switch seats with anyone in the class, who would you trade with? Why?
25. Tell me about three different times you used your pencil today at school.
Come on Time, Stay All Day
7:45: Morning Activity
10:30: Recess/Restrooms/Prepared for lunch
2:10: Science and Social Studies
2:55: Prepare for Home/Snack
As you can see, if your student is late, or if they leave early, they will miss important learning.
Thursday 12: Fall Pictures
Tuesday 17: CICI'S Pizza night
Thursday 19: Early Release for Professional Development
Monday 23-27: Book Fair
Thursday 26: Fall Festival
October 30-November 7: Fun Run Fundraiser
October 31: Grades close
November 3: Fall Makeup Pictures.
November 7: Fun Run Day
November 8: 2nd and 3rd grade Field Trips