Summit Virtual Academy
Weekly Update - Week of May 01, 2023
Springtime In Michigan
Good afternoon, Blackhawks! They say that April showers bring May Flowers, I sure hope that's true! We are heading into the first week of May and one month closer to summer vacation and warmer weather...in theory! As the weather improves (hopefully), be sure your student is working consistently and staying on pace in their classes. This is the home stretch, and the sunshine can make it harder to stay in front of the computer. If your student is struggling to keep pace in classes, please contact the office and/or instructors for help before the final weeks of the semester.
The month of May also brings with it some additional testing for our online students. Be sure to read below for details about the upcoming final round of NWEA testing for the school year. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this.
Have a great weekend, and Go Blackhawks!
Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3! NWEA Edition
May is the season for Spring NWEA testing. All Summit Virtual students in grades K-10 are required to come in person to complete this test. Unlike SAT and PSAT testing, NWEA testing is not timed. Therefore, you will see arrival times listed below, but not pick up times. As soon as students are completed with their testing, they are able to be picked up. Details on NWEA testing are listed below:
When: NWEA testing is broken up into three testing dates. All testing sessions are set to begin at 8:00am
- Tuesday, May 16 - elementary and middle school Summit Virtual students (grades K-8)
- Wednesday, May 17 - all high school aged Summit Virtual students (grades 9-10)
- Thursday, May 18 - make up testing day for all Summit Virtual students unable to make it on their original testing date
Where: All spring NWEA testing will take place at the ITech building attached to Brandon Middle School
What: All students need to bring their school issued chromebook and charger for testing
Attention Seniors: Senior Bulletin
OSTC Options for 2023
Upcoming Dates and Events:
- May 12 and 7:00pm: Spring Band Concert and BHS
- May 16-18 - Spring NWEA testing for Summit Virtual students in grades K-10
- May 17 - Seniors' Last Day (in person), receive cap and gown, return chromebooks
- May 19 - Senior Breakfast @ 8am, Senior Walk @ 9am, Graduation Practice @ 10:45am, all at BHS
- May 21 - BHS Commencement Ceremony @2pm @ BHS football field
Reminder of Expectations
- Expect your student to work for roughly 45-60 minutes per day, per course
- By now, you should have been reached out to by a counselor regarding your course progress. These will happen once a week. It is extremely important that you respond to communication. Please note that the student needs to respond and be in communication, not just the parent(s).
- Your main point of contact for content specific questions is your course instructor. If you need help doing so, don't hesitate to reach out to us at 248-627-1820.
Link for elementary overview: https://e.edmentum.com/eoa-getting-started-students-parents-caregivers/
Instructional Model overview for online learning (last page has links embedded to parent orientation presentations):