Pluto, the Dwarf Planet
All about pluto
What does it look like?
How is it different compared to Earth?
If you compare it to Earth you'll find out it's very different. For example, Earth isn't that far from the sun. If you look at Pluto you'll see it's way back in the Kupier Belt. Where all the other dwarf planets are. In fact, it's 40 times farther away from the sun. Also, it's different from Earth because it's smaller... way more smaller. Also Earth takes 1 year to orbit the sun, but Pluto takes about 248 years! So you would only have 1birthday if you lived on Pluto. Finally, Pluto's orbit is pretty different than the other planets . For example, it's orbit is sort of egg- shaped and it goes into Neptune's orbit. As you can see, Pluto is very different compared to Earth.
Why is it a dwarf planet?
When astronomers first found Pluto they noticed it was a little different from other planets, including it's orbit and the planet itself. For example, its orbit runs into Neptune's orbit. Also, it was tinier than astronomers thought it looked. They also found lots of other planets that were like Pluto.When astronomers got together, they voted off Pluto as a planet and said it was a dwarf planet.You probably think Pluto is a dwarf planet because it's tiny. That's particularly one of the reasons, but it's also because there are 3 rules to be a planet:
1. It has to orbit the sun
2. It must be round
3. It must clear its neighborhood ( clear it's path )
So, because Pluto can't clear its path, astronomers reclassified it as dwarf planet.
- An eleven-year old girl suggested the name Pluto.
- Pluto is 3.6 billion miles from the sun
- If you weigh 100 pounds on Earth, you'll weigh 7 pounds on Pluto
- One of Pluto's moons' is pretty close so some people say it's a double planet
- A spacecraft called New Horizon was sent to Pluto to study it in 2015 ( this year)
- Docter Robert Hurt. Why isn't pluto a Planet ? video
- Ducksters. dwarf planet Pluto. website
- Esa kids. Planets and moons. website
- Highlights kids. Why isn't Pluto no longer a planet? website
- Nasa. What is Pluto.website
- Planets for kids.Pluto.website
- Random facts. Planets and moons.website
- Scholastic. Pluto. website
- Science a-z. Pluto. article
- astronomers- people that study space.
- reclassified- put in another category
- solar system- planets with moons that orbit around the sun together along with astroids, comets, etc.
- kupier belt-a place where all the dwarf planets are
- orbit- a circular path for planets etc thats around the sun
- spacecraft- a vehicle for space
- dwarf planet-a body-like planet that orbits the sun but isn't a really planet