Thompson Crossing News
Growing Minds... Growing Leaders... 2-5-2018
Connect With Us
Attendance Line: 317-860-4678
2/5 - Math Bowl Practice @ 8
2/7 - Mid-Terms Posted
2/8 - Math Bowl, Musical & Art Club
2/8 - Student Council Meeting After School 4-5PM
2/9 - Jump Rope For Heart
2/9 - 1st Grade Field Trip to Expo Bowl
2/9 - Sweet Heart Dance @ 6:30PM
2/13 - PTC SkyZone Family Night
2/15 - Kindergarten Field Trip to The Gymnastic Company
2/15 - PTC Meeting @ 6:30pm
2/16 - 3rd Grade Field Trip to Expo Bowl
2/19 - Snow Make Up Day
From Your Proud Principal Mr. Murphy
The month of February is jam-packed with lots of events in and out of school, so please make sure you look through the newsletter to find more information about upcoming events.
Believe it or not, our first round of ISTEP testing will take place in 3 weeks. Our testing dates are February 26 – March 9, 2018 for students in grades 3-5 only. The first session of ISTEP is the Applied Skills portion, also known as ISTEP Part A.
Our 3rd Grade students will take the IREAD-3 test, March 12-14, 2018. This is a language and reading based test to determine if students are at grade level and can move on to fourth grade. I have had some parents ask me how they can help their child(ren) at home prepare for the upcoming ISTEP. Please look below for some helpful tips on how to prepare your child for the ISTEP test.
· Please ask your child everyday what they learned in language arts and math at school.
· Have your child read at least 20-30 minutes a night to help build reading stamina.
· Work on math computation problems at home (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division). · Visit the Indiana Department of Education website: http://www.doe.in.gov/assessment/istep-grades-3-8 You can view past ISTEP question samples with answer sheets.
· Make sure your child is well rested and ready for school each day!
· Be positive at home with the You Can Do It attitude!
As always, I continue to encourage if you have questions about your child’s progress in school, please contact their teacher and set up a conference. I fully realize that we only have formal ‘fall’ Parent/Teacher conferences, but we hope you will reach out to us anytime you have a question, curiosity, or a concern. We are all one team, working on behalf of your child!
Thank you for all you do to help in your child’s education and I am looking forward to continuing a wonderful second semester at TC!
Yours in Education,
Mr. Jeff Murphy, Proud TC Principal
Did You Know??!!
- Our Lost and Found is located at the front of our building in the main entrance lobby. If your student is missing any items you are welcome to look there or have them look before school starts.
- Staff E-Mail Addresses- All teachers within FTCSC have e-mail addresses. The address consists of their first name, a period, their last name, @ftcsc.k12.in.us (For example: email@example.com) A staff list is available on our TC webpage with teacher first and last names.
- If you are new to the district and need your PARENT portal log on information for the first time, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, from the email address that is on file with the school district.
- If you have forgotten your user name and/or password, please click the 'Forgot your password' or 'Forgot your user name' links. If you are still having trouble, please follow the instructions in the 'Problems logging in' link.
Sweet Heart Dance Volunteer Sign Up
If anyone is interested in helping out with the Sweetheart Dance, Please use the Link below.
Reminder To 5th Grade Parents About Band & Orchestra
This is a message from the Franklin Township Community School Corporation reminding you and your child about the Band and Orchestra Sign-Ups on Monday February 5th at FTMS EAST at 5:30pm and 7:00pm and Tuesday, February 6th at FTMS WEST at 5:30pm and 7:00pm. Any student interested in participating in Band or Orchestra for the 2018-2019 school year is encouraged to attend one of the two Band and Orchestra Sign-up nights. Parents and students should plan on attending one of the meetings to answer any questions regarding, band camp, cost, rental fees, etc. If you have not already done so, please make sure you turn in your band or orchestra sign-up form to your music teacher as soon as possible so FTMS EAST and WEST can properly schedule your student into the correct related arts class.
Attention TC Eagles!
Students will be sent home with yearbook ordering information today and tomorrow. The sale ends FEBRUARY 16TH...don't miss out on the memories of 2017-2018 school year. We will have very LIMITED copies of the yearbook for sale when they come in at a later date. To ensure your student has a copy please send in the order form or order online BY Feb. 16th. The forms have many styles available at assorted prices. The cost of the standard yearbook is $17.00 and it is a soft cover without any inserts or name foils. Checks should be made out to Lifetouch. Please visit the link for online ordering.
YEARBOOK ID CODE: 11648218
Trait For This Month Of February Is Manners
Jump Rope For Heart February 9th!
Information regarding the event, taking donation pledges and prize incentives, came home last week with students. This event will take place Friday, Feb. 9th during student's special area class time in the gym.
Also a new incentive this year: Anyone who donates $150.00 ON LINE will win a field trip to Sky Zone on March 9th during school!! Paid for by the AHA!! All money is due on or before Feb. 9th. Checks are made out directly to the American Heart Association.
Any questions can be directed to Laura Foreman, PE teacher, at email@example.com
School Volunteer Information
INSTRUCTIONS FOR VOLUNTEER BACKGROUND CHECKS
- Any person who will be working with students for extended periods of time – either consecutive hours or on a regular schedule.
- Any person who will be in a position to supervise students – this includes but not limited to field trips (at all levels, including band and choir trips) or taking a group of students out of a classroom for remediation work.
- Any person who will be alone with a student.
*NOTE: VOLUNTEER BACKGROUND CHECKS ARE NO LONGER FREE OF CHARGE. THE FEE IS APPROXIMATELY $16.00 PER VOLUNTEER.
If you wish to proceed, please follow the instructions and click on link below.
- Please select VOLUNTEER for *Please select a Position
- Make sure your name is spelled correctly
- Please complete the entire form, all fields with *are required
- Please select the school or schools for which you request to volunteer
- Select I Agree and then Submit
All schools have access to the volunteer data base and can verify a clear background check. If there is an issue with the background check that will affect the ability to volunteer, that volunteer will be notified. This comprehensive background check will be active for two years. You will receive an email notification once the background check is clear. You will also be notified when it is about to expire.
From Your FTCSC Transportation Department
- We will be presenting to elementary parent groups during January, February, or March. I’m sure your principal will be giving you the date our department will be there to present soon. There will be a short presentation and then we will entertain questions.
- Also, we will be posting on Facebook whenever a bus is running 10 minutes or more behind schedule. Sometimes we run behind due to traffic or mechanical problems. Like us!
- As the weather gets colder, students will be tempted to remain in the house or car longer. Please make sure they are standing at the stop when the bus pulls up. It is scary for bus drivers to watch a student run to their stop to catch the bus. This is especially dangerous with ice or snow on the roads. Thank you for your cooperation.
- We have put five new general education and two new special education buses on the road. These buses have seatbelts in them. Please encourage your children to wear these.
- Thank you for expecting your children to remain seated, stay out of the aisles, and not eat on the buses. These are all things that put your child in danger.
We are hiring bus drivers. We will train you! And pay you for the training! Apply on line through our school website.
Star Express News
Star Express, Fruit of the month: Pears!
Here at Star Express we proudly offer pears as a fruit option during the school year. Take an opportunity to add pears as one of your daily fruit choices.
If you haven’t tried this yummy fruit yet – try it this month!
We look forward to serving you.
See you at lunch!
Have a question? We’d love to hear from you!
Contact the Star Express Registered Dietitians
with any comments, concerns or questions at 862-2411.
Betsey Willard, RD – Child Nutrition Supervisor
Alison Powers, RD – Assistant Child Nutrition Supervisor
*View Our Menu Below*
Birthday Treat Policy
For the safety of our students, it is important that all persons picking up or dropping off students use the proper procedures. Students may not be dropped off before 8:40 a.m. With security procedures, the front door will not be unlocked until 8:40 a.m. and students should not be allowed out of an automobile until that time. We also understand that the drop off line gets long in the morning, but please be patient and take the time necessary to make it safe for all our students, parents, and staff. When dropping off students before and after school, please use the main entrance area only. Make sure that you follow the drive through and drop off lanes. Also, make sure that students get out on the curb or left-side of the car. There is no passing in the drop off lane. Your patience is always appreciated!
Appointments/Early Dismissals * New Procedures
On the day of your student's appointment, it is very important that you have your student bring a note to their teacher or the office before school begins for the day. **Prior notification completely eliminates a classroom disruption and helps to assure that your student will be waiting in the office and ready to go when you come to sign them out. We understand that last minute things come up, but we do ask that you keep walk-up requests or last minute phone calls to a minimum. If you are picking up your child for an early dismissal THEY MUST BE PICKED UP BY 3:15 PM ON A NORMAL DISMISSAL DAY AND 2:50PM ON A PLC/WEDNESDAY. Request for early pickups by parents for appointments, etc. will be made through the front office and MUST be in writing also. These new policies will help ensure a safe dismissal for all students. The note should include the students name, teacher name, your name and date. When picking up your child for appointments, please go directly to the Main Office to sign them out. When a student returns from a mid-day appointment, the student should sign back in at the Main Office and turn in his/her doctor's note if they have one.
Absences During the School Year
Students should be fever-free without the use of fever-reducing medication (i.e. Tylenol) for 24 hours before returning to school. If your child has an illness associated with vomiting and/or diarrhea, they should not return to school until 24 hours after the last episode. This helps prevent further spread of viruses and bacteria, and to promote a healthier environment for all. Our goal at Thompson Crossing is to keep kids healthy and in school. It is important for all students to adhere to our illness guidelines in order to reach this goal.
Attendance is extremely important. If your child is not in our classrooms, they cannot learn and be exposed to the same content as their teacher presents. However, everyone becomes ill at various times and we understand! If your child is going to be absent, please call our attendance line at 860-4678 by 9:15 AM. Our data clerk will check the line daily to record absences. Follow the steps below:
- Date of phone call
- Name of parents/ guardians
- Name of student
- Reason for absence
- Number of days for the absence
If you need to leave a personal message for your child’s teacher and/or request homework, please call the teacher’s voice mail number.