Futures W.A.G (Week at a Glance)
Good Afternoon Futures Team!
I want you to all know what a pleasure it is to work with this team. Your unified spirit, wanting the best for our scholars, is really shining through.
A Definition: The "Futures Way" :
The "Futures Way" is to do whatever it takes to build up our students and their families for academic and social success.
- Maleni Sanchez for running such as great fitness and after school program.
- Ida Johnson our new attendance clerk who is now officially hired and doing great work.
- Colleen Tiffenson and Carole Taylor (CUES) for breaking through a perceived division between Futures and Cues and creating a wonderful shared parent cafe this past Friday
- Peace Maker Williams for being there when we need him.
- Rachel Amsterdam for dealing with some very challenging issues last week; done with grace and professionalism.
Reflection on what went well last week (school-wide)
Last week I saw great evidence of guided reading beginning to happen, as evidenced by groups at tables, students in stations / centers or with literacy tasks. I also noted that trackers are coming in to Rachel which is great evidence of NNN.
It's a little thing that can snowball into a big thing: some classes are arriving late for lunch and causing a backup and parent complaints about not eating. I used a timer and found that for three classes that were late, they had an actual all sitting/eating time of 8 minutes. Can we all fix that?
Again in the picky -but-important: Please include last names of students on COST forms, Discipline Forms etc. It helps us with filing!
Deliverable(s) for the week
By end of day Tuesday :
A few teachers still need to answer the "Literally a one minute survey" I resent the link. This is how I will know how to make committees.
BY end of day Friday Oct. 10
- (Not Kinder) All data cards F& P (100% of your class) for each student displayed in my office and on the electronic tracker. Grade one I will transfer your data over for you from the New Leader tracker. Kindergarten is using different data.
- A goal for each guided reading group written for each group . Go back to the earlier agenda notes in your PLC folder and add these goals .
- School Site Council Nomination forms if interested in being on SSC (First meeting 4:30 Monday October 20
- Reply to upcoming email if you want to extend your contract to work with students after school.
PLC during Fitness
I am leaving this week to be "catch up " week for all the above deliverable(s) so there is no agenda in the PLC folder this week.
Please see this great website OUSD had put together on balanced literacy :
Your physical stance: According to author Fred Jones (Tools for Teaching):
Always squarely face your students, looking forward in a relaxed but stable pose, when delivering instructions. Standing sideways indicates "half seriousness" and means less compliance. Try this in the mirror and you will get it.
Buy Back Day
There is no school for students on Friday. This is a special learning day for teachers. I am working with my director about what we can do for our teachers who have already attended the offereings. In any case, plan it as a work day.
We will do a training on Google Chromebooks, A science deliverable update, and committee work.
Our Previous Grade Four teacher Sarah Upstill at Lion Creek last year, at the Fall Festival.
Meetings and Events
Monday , October 6: no special events scheduled
Tuesday, October 7
NO COST THIS WEEK
8:30am Intercom: Every Tuesday: Meet Mr. Purcell in the Garden: Teacher picks one student a week for anything to be rewarded. Student gets small prize. Teacher keeps track. Student can either verbal or note say why they are seeing me.
12:50pm Kinder/First Physical Fitness (Coach gets students from class, teacher meets outside at 1:45)
3:15pm Culture and Climate Meets Portable Mr. Gonzalez room (Kevin Edwards, Jessica Gallagher, Peacemaker, Parents, Brian, Rachel, Colleen T, Representative of Fitness/After School Program, custodian, lunch staff, office Mendoza, OHA, Shannon, Leesa, Mike, Leah, Jenny (chair) , Heather
Wednesday, October 8
Farmer Market On Campus: Classes welcome
Minimum Day ( Wed PD begins 9/17 1:45 @ Portable C)
Wednesday PD @ portable C
Thursday, October 9
NO COST TODAY
Auditorium NED SHOW whole school character assembly
Grades two /Three Physical Fitness (Coach gets students from class, teacher meets outside at 1:45 )
Friday, October 10
Professional Development Day
NO STUDENTS & NO PARENT CAFE
Monday, October 13
Mr. Purcell Out of Town
CANCELLED Faculty Meeting in Portable C
Tuesday, October 14
Wegner Field Trip Exploratorium
Save the Date: After School Monday, Oct. 20 4:30-6:00 First SSC meeting and Title One Data night
After school Oct. 24: At Lion's Creek : Harvest Festival
Halloween is a minimum day. If you are new to Futures, you will see why:)
Futures SHARED Folder - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-Vs3wkhm9IMdnNKWVl0azhkNGM&usp=sharing
Here is the Futures Elementary Calendar.