Looking back and Looking Ahead September 1, 2017
It's All About MINDSET - I LOVE the activities that I am seeing
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow your progress, You're still way ahead of everyone who is not trying" Tony Robbins
Tuesday - PTL Meeting. There will be a google doc going around about this, but please know in advance that every teacher needs to show his/her face at two meetings this year. They are short and sweet. They are trying to improve them this year. Thank you to KIRSTEN for her willingness to the the teacher representative to the PTL. You can share with her or with me if you have anything you would like presented or discussed. When you see it, sign up. All of the dates are on the google sheet calendar that I sent you.
Wednesday: Chapel Mary
Thursday: Chapel Miguel
Friday: Early Childhood Snack with Grandparents and special older friends
Friday: Fall Sale kick-off 1:30PM ish TBA
Activities and Extracurricular Schedules
Things to be aware of and deal with this week
- Please complete and turn in your green sub folder.
- Please be sure to read your email in the morning and afternoon and respond if appropriate.
- Thank you all for working hard to be on time today. Please keep it up. I appreciate it.
- You should be working on things and saving things for both of the Back to School Nights. They will be here before you know it.
- Remember that your relationships with your parents will make or break your school year. What are you doing to cultivate them? How are you communicating?
- Have you selected the student that you will be a champion for this year?
Cafeteria / Lunch Info
Things have been going well. You may have noticed that I have hired Mr. Patterson as a lunchroom monitor. This is on a trial basis for now but I do want your feedback on whether or not you find this to be helpful and how I can better direct him. If it works well, you will be able to take turns NOT eating in the cafeteria. However, even with him there, it is important that the staff that is the cafeteria does not have their backs towards the students.
A few things to remember:
1. Complete your lunch order on time.
2. Bring your class on time.
3. Line up SBJ Sandwich Hot
4. Stay only for your allotted time which is 30 minutes. Leave on time. Last year some classes extended their lunch times. Please make the correction.
5. All trash should be removed from the tables as you dismiss your class, as well as from under the floors. They need to clean up after themselves.
6. Do not forget to wipe down/assign students to wipe down the tables when you leave.
Thank you very much!
Holy Cross's Vision, Mission and Beliefs
Appreciations and Shout Outs
Thank you to Spencer for planning such a great event for the middle school students. Thank you Kirsten, Eric, Myriame, Adria, Natalia and Estrella for volunteering and chaperoning.
Focus for 2017-2018 ( Take a 2nd look)
In order to help every child their personal best, Holy Cross Students and Staff will focus on developing a growth mindset. What does this mean?
In a fixed mindset, people believe that their basic qualities of intelligence or talent are fixed traits. They believe that talent alone creates success. They are wrong.
In a growth mindset, people believe that their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work. Brains and talent are just the starting point. This view creates a love of learning and a resilience that is necessary for great accomplishments. Instead of thinking, "I can't do that" instead you think, "I can't do that YET".
Teaching a growth mindset creates motivation and productivity. I would encourage you to take the time and do your own reading and research. There are marvelous resources available online including TPT and Pinterest and there are great books written just for teachers and for children of all ages about this topic.
This goes very nicely with our theme, which is Building Champions...through Goals, Growth and Grit. In Philippians 4:13, it states, "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength". We need to instill this belief in our students, that with the help of God and their own hard work and determination, they can learn and will learn.
Any time we have an idea, concern, solution and/or comment, this is the filter through which we should speak. Let's help each other live up to our vision, mission, and beliefs.
We are a cohesive, diverse community providing engaging learning experiences for all.
We will encourage academic excellence, a growth mindset and a firm foundation in Christian Faith through partnership and relationships with students, parents, staff and community.
- Partnerships between students, parents, community members and staff are foundational to educational success.
- Positive school culture and a safe environment foster growth.
- Everyone has inherent value and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.
- Learning is an active process requiring engaging tasks and engaging minds.
- Relevant and authentic experiences ignite continuous, deeper learning.
- Meaningful relationships enrich learning.