by cierra ross
- Each day has different traditions. Day 1The thirteenth lunar day of the Krishna Paksh (Hindu Calendar) housewives consider it favorable to spring clean the home and shop for gold or kitchen utensils.
- Day 2 people decorate their homes with clay lamps or diyas, designed patterns called rangoli colored sand or powder
- Day 3 is the main day of the festival when families gather and pray to Lakshmi, followed by a feast and fireworks.
- Day 4 first day of the new year when friends and family visit with gifts and wishes.
- Day 5 brothers visit their married sister who welcome them with love and a meal.
when it is celebrated
why they celebrate it
Add on information
Utensils or Decorations used
The story of:The Victory of Rama: According to the epic Ramayana, it was the new moon day of Kartik when Lord Ram, Ma Sita and Lakshman returned to Ayodhya after vanquishing Ravana and conquering Lanka. The citizens of Ayodhya decorated the entire city with the earthen lamps and illuminated it like never before.