A Newsletter from Scotland Elementary School
September 13, 2021
The Scotty Updates has been created to provide families and staff with information regarding upcoming events, happenings, and programs at Scotland Elementary School. Please take time each Monday to review our newsletter. Thank you!
A Message from Mrs. Katkocin
Dear Scotland Families,
On Friday, Dr. Da Silva shared an update regarding instruction for students placed in quarantine due to exposure to COVID-19. Please find that update below.
Quarantine Learning Update
What is Quarantine Learning: Quarantine learning is an experience provided to all students across PK-12 as a result of a positive covid case or a required quarantine due to exposure to COVID-19. Quarantine learning should not be confused with the “Remote Learning” option that was made available to all students last fall regardless of quarantine status. Remote learning (outside of quarantine) is no longer mandated by the CSDE and does not count toward school hours, you can read the CSDE document here. Quarantine and isolation guidelines from the CSDE and DPH can be found here.
Who has access to Quarantine Learning?
Students placed in quarantine due to exposure to COVID-19.
Students with COVID-19 who have no symptoms.
How do you verify the need to Quarantine?
A Verified Quarantine is a COVID-19 exposure that has been reported to your school nurse and Director of Nursing, Aaron Crook (email@example.com) and has been determined to require a quarantine.
What does not qualify students for Quarantine Learning?
Confirmed Covid Case where the individual is ill
Travel (before, during, after)
Choice/Preference for the Learning Model
At the elementary level students will be invited to virtually participate in a class, led by a teacher, for the duration of the school day during quarantine learning. Any individual student(s) in quarantine across the six elementary schools log into the google meet for the grade level and is provided remote instruction for the entire day. All quarantine learning will follow the grade-level curriculum and scope and sequence, while the daily lesson may not mirror the exact lesson of the child's typical classroom; they will provide instruction to keep the student up to date on grade level learning.
Essentials may be asynchronous or synchronous. The classroom teacher will provide (as needed) the student with a bag of learning materials to be used during the quarantine and to be picked up at the home school. In addition, the classroom teacher is available to the family and student during quarantine to support any additional learning questions. All assessments are completed when the student returns to school. The elementary quarantine day will run from 9am to 3pm. Each morning the class will get a schedule including lunch recess for an hour and an essential activity.
Beginning September 20, 2021: All PreK-12 students with special and/or related services via an IEP or 504 plan, as well as EL services, will follow their daily schedule for these services, and be offered the opportunity to participate virtually. Similar to the Spring of 2020 and the 20-21 school year, parents will be provided with this confidentiality notice in order to access virtual services during a COVID-related quarantine.
PreK-5 special education and/or related services that are designed as “push in,” or services that are to take place within the general education setting, will not be provided virtually due to confidentiality issues. For these services, providers may offer parents the opportunity to virtually join another services group during that day or later in the week, even if this alternate group/time is not their “normal” services group or time.
For PreK, parents of students with IEPs and peer models will be offered the opportunity to stream into morning meetings, read alouds, already scheduled 1-1 sessions with special education teachers, and related services outside of the PreK classrooms.
Parents may opt out of virtual services at any time.
Just a reminder that there is no school on Thursday, September 16, 2021 in recognition of Yom Kippur.
Picture Day is September 14th! 📸
PICTURE DAY IS TUESDAY, 9/14!!!
The deadline for ordering your portrait packages is TOMORROW, 9/14.
HOW TO ORDER:
️Ordering will take place online only. If you absolutely need an order form, please request one from your teacher.
️No need to print out or send in order confirmation. No paperwork necessary.
1. BEFORE Picture Day, go to www.coffeepond.com and select "Order School Portraits"
2. Using the drop-down menu, select the city and state, then the name of our school.
3. Follow the prompts to enter your information and select packages.
4. Ordering questions ??? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (508) 907-6633 ext. 0
Health & Safety Update
The CT CSDE and DPH released updated quarantine and isolation guidelines for schools this week via Addendum 5. RPS will be following this guidance, please take a moment to read it. Key components that families need to know are:Vaccinated and unvaccinated students and staff should stay home from school if you have symptoms; and contact your school nurse. You may return to school with a negative COVID-19 test after symptoms have resolved. Vaccinated and unvaccinated students who come to school with a symptom of COVID-19 will be sent home by the school nurse. Students who are sick should tend to their health and will not access quarantine learning.
- Fully vaccinated students and staff who have been exposed to COVID-19 and have not developed any symptoms may continue to come to school. Unvaccinated students and staff who have been exposed to COVID-19 must quarantine at home. They can get a test on day 5 after exposure, and return to school on day 8 if they remain free of symptoms. Students who are required to quarantine and are symptom free will have access to quarantine learning.
RPS is asking families who travel domestically or internationally to follow CDC travel guidance which can be found here.
Snaps around Scotland! 📸
Events and Happenings 🗓
WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, September 13th:
- C Day
Tuesday, September 14th:
- D Day
- Picture Day!
Wednesday, September 15th:
- E Day
Thursday, September 16th:
- No School - Yom Kippur
Friday, September 17th:
- F Day
Thursday, September 23rd:
- Early Dismissal for students (11:40am)
- Professional Learning for Staff
Friday, September 24th:
- Scotty Fun Run!
- More information to follow
- Rain Date: Friday, October 1st
Thursday, September 30th:
- Open House - 5:30-7:00pm
A Note from Our PTA
Scotty Fun Run!
Friday September 24!
The PTA is sponsoring an in-school Scotty Fun Run!
Bach to Rock will be playing music all day to get our runners pumped and ready to go!
Date: September 24 (rain date Oct 1)
Time: Each grade will run during their "specials" time. No need to register for this event.
What to wear: Students should wear Scotty Spirit shirts OR a red or white shirt
Refreshments: Outshine Bars will be served after the race. Please have your child bring a labeled water bottle that day.
Volunteers: Unfortunately, due to Covid restrictions this event is not open to all parents. We are allowed to have a few volunteers per grade. If you would like to volunteer for the Scotty Fun Run, please CLICK HERE.
The PTA has Spirit Bracelets for all our Scotties that will be given out that day!
Questions? Contact Becky Hurta
CVC's (Classroom Volunteer Coordinators) Wanted!
-Organize classroom parties and special activities
-Communicate with classroom teacher
-Share communication with the class via email
-Recruit classroom volunteers as needed (dependent on whether volunteers are allowed in the classrooms this year)
** These are some of the typical CVC duties in a “normal” year, unfortunately we’re still not back to normal but this gives you a snapshot of what typical CVC responsibilities are.
If you're interested, please email, Kristin Rosengren with your name, your child’s name and their teacher’s name.
The Scotty Buddy Program is back!
The Scotty Buddy Program is back! The Buddy Program connects new families to Scotland Elementary School with experienced or “veteran” families. The program was created to provide new families with a resource who they can contact for questions/tips on making their transition to SES smooth and successful! Please FILL OUT the form below if you are interested in participating as either a NEW FAMILY or a VETERAN FAMILY.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP!
Purchase a SES Chromebook Sleeve!
Scotty Spirit Fundraiser
Help protect your brand new Chromebook AND show your Scotty Spirit with a new laptop sleeve. Proceeds will go to support the 5th grade class end of year activities!
Laptop Sleeves will be delivered and distributed at school in about 2-3 weeks.
Please be sure to check out of your shopping cart to complete your order!
If you do not receive an emailed receipt your order has NOT been completed.
Questions? Please contact Jessia Aframe
Actual products may differ slightly in appearance to images shown
CLICK HERE to order!
The PTA Needs You! Volunteers Wanted!
We're so excited to get parents involved again at SES! We're so LUCKY to be able to offer opportunities for you to help our kiddos and our school!!
Volunteering with the PTA allows you to contribute your skills and knowledge for the benefit of both your own children and the greater school community. You’ll also meet and make new friends!
Please fill out the form and you'll hear back from us soon!
CLICK HERE to find out all the ways YOU can make a difference this year - opportunities available for those with extra time and those with little time!)
Important Information to Keep Handy! 📝
- School Lunch will be available from the first day of school. Chartwells is the District-wide food service provider. The school lunch menu is available online on the RPS website; click District Offices and click on Food Service, as well as below.
- School lunch will continue to be free during the 21-22 school year. Snacks and additional items will be available through The Lunch Time POS system that allows students to purchase their lunch by entering a 5-digit code at the cash register. These items can be prepaid online at School Payment Portal Powered By LunchTime Software and at the school kitchen.
- Questions in regard to Lunch Time POS can be directed to John Morris, RPS Food Service Director at 203-894-5550 x1127 or email@example.com
We will follow a similar drop off / pick up procedure that we did last year.
- Drop off begins at 8:30am. Please do not drop off your child prior to 8:30am as there will be no supervision at this time.
- Pick up will begin at 3:20pm.
- Each day, please have your child(ren)’s first and last name displayed on your passenger visor, and have it remain visible until your child is in the car. This needs to be bold and large enough to be visible at a distance. This is a very important step to ensure we have your child ready when you arrive.
- For the safety of both students and staff, proceed carefully and slowly through the lot.
- Please have your child exit/enter the vehicle when your gear is in the park position and is one of the cars at the front of the line designated for drop off.
- Students must exit the vehicle on the passenger side (building side) of the vehicle. Multiple children must exit on the passenger side. It is dangerous to exit/enter on the driver's side of the vehicle!
- Students need to have all of their items ready in hand and will then exit the car immediately.
- Parents, please stay in your vehicle at all times so that the process will prevent backups on Barlow Mountain Road.
- If you miss the drop off time (after 8:45 a.m.), please park in the front lot and walk your child across the designated crosswalk to the main entrance of the building. If you arrive after the drop off window and must park in the parking lot, we ask that you kindly use the crosswalk.
School Dismissal Manager
We will continue to use School Dismissal Manager this year at Scotland. Please click below for information regarding this system. This system will be available to families in late August. A welcome letter will be emailed to families when the system is available. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!