The Friday Flyer
From Boone Meadow Elementary School
We want students to live richly literate lives. In this photo, Bryson enjoys a good book in our library.
Along with his fellow kindergarten classmates, Caleb works on stretching words as he explores sounds and word construction.
With the help of her classroom colleagues, Katy displays how the California Condor has adapted over time.
Talent Show is Tomorrow, February 3rd!
You'll be glad you marked your calendars for Boone Meadow's second annual Talent Show. Without a doubt, this will be an entertaining event. Prepare to be entertained by students (& staff) with singing, magic tricks, dance, and much more.
This enjoyable student-led & PTO sponsored event will kick off in our Café at 2:30
Boys & Girls Club Closed On Tuesday, February 6th
The Boys and Girls Club West notified ZCS that their building will be closed on February 6. Our GROW program is here to help! Families can use our BAC program for after care for $20. Students will go to BAC immediately after school for a snack, homework time, and activities. Parents can pick up any time until 6:00pm. Register at GROW Registration – click on February 6. For questions contact the GROW office at GROW@zcs.k12.in.us.
Welcome February with a focus on our lifelines: Kindness and Patience
The equality of being friendly, generous, and considerate.
The ability to remain calm when dealing with a difficult or challenging situation, task, or person.
Upcoming Events & Important Info
February 3rd - Talent Show in BME Cafe @ 2:30
February 8th - PTO Meeting
February 14th (or 9th)- Valentine Day Celebration (see message above)
February 19th - Presidents Day - No School
February 20th - No School for Students (Professional Development Day for Staff)
February 23rd - Spirit Day: Neon Day
February 23rd - BME Mixer at Golf Club of Indiana 6:30pm - Sponsored by PTO - See below
February 26th - March 3rd - ISTEP+ Testing window (Part 1) - 3rd/4th grades
March 28th - Kindergarten Round-Up @ BME (More information will be shared in coming weeks)
March 30th - April 6th - Spring Break (No school)
April 16th - May 4th - ISTEP+ Testing window (Part 2) - 3rd/4th grades
PLEASE mark your calendars for May 25th as our make-up day due to the 1/12/18 inclement weather cancellation.
CALLING ALL 4TH GRADERS!
Transitioning to Middle School
4th Grade Families:
Please mark your calendars with the upcoming information.
Thursday, March 15th - 4th to 5th Transition Day. Students will visit ZWEST and tour the school. That evening, ZWEST opens the doors to welcome future students and families. More information to come.
- 9:30a-11:00a: Tour/Music Performance @ ZWMS
- 6:00p-6:50p: Parent Meeting for select families with Special Education staff
- 6:30p-8:00p: 4th/5th Grade Social
- 7:00p-8:00p: 4th Grade Parent Meeting
Thursday, April 12th -
ZWEST music teachers (choir, band, and orchestra) visit Boone Meadow to engage with students. More information to come.
Boone Meadow Mixer
If you or your business would like to sponsor this event, or donate an item, service, or fun activity to our silent auction, contact Boone Meadow PTO at email@example.com. Click on link below to be a sponsor:
Tickets can be purchased by cash or check to the BME front office (checks made out to BME PTO), by sending PayPal payment to firstname.lastname@example.org or by using the link below:
Boone Meadow Mixer TIckets
Tickets are now $35. Each ticket includes heavy hors d'oeuvres, desserts, 2 drink tickets (adult beverages), and unlimited soft drinks.
We look forward to seeing everyone there!!!
Valentine's Day Parties
We look forward to celebrating Valentine's Day with our students at their classroom parties on Friday, February 9th or Tuesday, February 14th (teacher discretion). This is a wonderful opportunity for us to emphasize the Lifeline of friendship with all of our students. Please look for upcoming emails and newsletters from your child's teacher for additional information.
A few important items to note:
- We are incredibly grateful for the volume of support we receive from families and school community at Boone Meadow. Although thankful, some classrooms have become too heavy on numbers for classroom parties to go smoothly. Therefore, the classroom teachers will have a limited number of volunteer slots available for the parties. This information will be conveyed to families in upcoming weeks.
- If you are volunteering for the party, district policy requires you must have a FULL background check on file. If you don't yet have a FULL background check, you will need to apply for that as soon as possible as it takes 7-10 business days to be completed. You can apply for the background check by clicking here.
- In addition, volunteering requires undivided attention in order to assist in a creating a smooth event. Please remember that siblings to students should not attend the party with volunteers. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
- As you are shopping for Valentines to share with classmates, we encourage you to select cards and/or trinkets that are inedible. This could include pencils, erasers, stickers, etc. Providing non-edible Valentines assists us in our pursuit to ensure that all students can have a safe and fun celebration.
All volunteers are pre-arranged through the classroom teacher or their designee. If you are VOLUNTEERING for the Valentine Party, please please follow these directions for pre-registration for Valentine Day Parties:
- Page 1: Select the green “Next Step” button.
- Page 2: Simply enter your name and birthday when prompted. When it asks for "Building" select Boone Meadow Elementary. Select the green “Next Step” button.
- Page 3: When prompted for “Person Visiting” use the student’s name, then type “Valentine Parties” when it asks for your reason for visit.It will then ask for the date of the visit. Please use the date of the actual event. Disregard the “If you’d like to notify anyone portion…” on this page and hit Next Step.
- Page 4: Hit the green “Complete Request” button and you are done!
Please contact Mrs. Kiel at x14995 if you have any questions regarding pre-registration.
Thank you for your cooperation
Winter Weather Reminders:
Hopefully Old Man Winter is preparing to roll out, but meanwhile, please be sure to send your student to school appropriately dressed for the weather. As stated in the handbook:
As the weather turns colder, each child needs a winter coat, hat, and gloves. Snow pants and boots are required when there is snow on the ground.
Students without snow pants and boots (when there is snow on the ground) will only be permitted to play on the cleared blacktop.
All children play outside except on rainy, icy, or very cold days (wind chill below the 10-20 degree range). Inside recess will be held on those exceptional days.
For more information regarding our procedures for school delays and closings please visit our website.
BOONE MEADOW MIXER IS COMING FEBRUARY 23RD
Friday / February / 23rd / 6:30pm
The Cardinal Room
Golf Club of Indiana
6905 S. 525 E
Lebanon, IN 46052
Tickets are $35 per person. Ticket price includes: heavy hors d'oeurves and 2 drink tickets for beer and wine. Soda and water are free of charge.
Tickets can be purchased by sending in a check or cash to the school or through Paypal (BoonemeadowPTO@gmail.com)
Texts from SchoolMessenger
Parenting in the Digital Age
Parenting is never easy. But today's parents have to grapple with a wired world in a way that no other generation has ever had to before. This ever-evolving digital landscape can be daunting to navigate.
Join ZCS in a 5-part series on Parenting in the Digital Age. This series will take place over the winter months and focus on keeping our students safe and healthy in the digital world while weighing the potential benefits and possible negative effects of social media. All presentations will be from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Board Room at the Educational Service Center.
For dates and information on the sessions, click here!
Looking for a part time job?
ZCS is in need of expanding the substitue teacher pool. In addition, ZCS Food Service positions are now available at several of the ZCS cafeterias. Click here to apply directly and call 317-733-4804 with any questions!
Check here to see what else is going on in our community.
Strong in Every Way
Click here to learn more about ZCS's human capital campaign!
Volunteers and Visitor Background Checks
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VOLUNTEERS
We value partnerships with our families and welcome parents and guardians to serve as volunteers in our schools. Each ZCS building offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities.
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Out of Town/Overnight Chaperones
- Volunteer Coaches
- Classroom Helpers (PTO parties/room parents)
- Library Helpers
- After Prom Workers
- Field Day/Jog-A-Thon Volunteers
- Book Fair Sales/Athletic Ticket Sales
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to sign in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee* for the full background check which will expire after 5 years. The link to apply for the full background check can be accessed on the Volunteers/BRAVO link on the ZCS main webpage. For more information, contact the Volunteer/BRAVO Coordinator.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VISITORS
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times.
- Lunch Guests
- Classroom Guest Speakers
- Classroom Special Events (Grandparent Day/Famous Hoosiers/etc.)
- Parent/Teacher Conferences
We ask that all visitors schedule an appointment to meet with teachers, counselors, administrators and all other staff members so that we may best serve everyone. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.
*ZCS thanks all volunteers for generous support of our youth and schools. Thank you, too, for supporting assurance of student and staff safety by completing and paying for a volunteer background check.