The middle colonies
Delaware, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania
- The Delaware Colony was founded in 1638 by Peter Minuit and New Sweden Company.
- Named after the Delaware River whose name was derived from that of Sir Thomas West.
- The first settlement on Delaware soil was made under the auspices of members of the Dutch West India Company in 1638 near the site of the present Lewes.
- Natural Resources: Good farmland, timber, furs and coal. Iron ore was a particularly important natural resource.
- The New Jersey Colony was founded in 1664 by Lord Berkeley and Sir George Carteret.
- Named after the British island of Jersey.
- Not dominated by a specific religion which gave way to religious freedom for Quakers, Catholics, Lutherans, Jews and others.