Week 3 March 19-23
Back in the SPRING of it!
I hope everyone had a revitalizing break! I really enjoyed traveling with my boyfriend to Kansas City to eat as much bbq as possible and the Lake of the Ozarks to see family!
What's Ahead This Week
- Monday No School!
- Tuesday Welcome back! We will be reviewing the appositive test taken before the break and students will have chance to earn back points missed on the test. We will also begin study on our next grammar concept: colon usage. Students will have a colon practice worksheet as homework.
- Wednesday Students will begin their study of literary nonfiction text structures. We will take some notes on the topic and then participate in an activity in which they identify different text structures. Then, students will experiment with changing the text structure of literacy narratives we have read in class.
- Thursday We will begin our study of Sandra Cisneros's literacy narrative, "Straw Into Gold." This reading will be more challenging than the previous literacy narratives. We will first study vocabulary and literary concepts before jumping into the reading on Friday. We will also check the colon practice homework from Tuesday.
- Friday We will begin by revisiting colon usage in a group activity and then begin our reading of "Straw into Gold." Students will read the text in groups and participate in a ready activity in which they will apply concepts from Wednesday's lesson on text structure. Should be challenging and fun!
- Colon Practice 1 due Thursday
- Straw into Gold Vocab Puzzle due Friday
We analyzed Alexie's literacy narrative by deconstructing how he uses the three key features of a literacy narrative. I was glad to hear the many students enjoyed this reading because it felt relatable to them.
Parent Teacher Conferences
Conferences will be held next week, March 26 and 27.
I hope to see you there! If you can't make it to conferences and would like to talk with me, please send me an email and we can arrange a phone conference or I can answer your questions via email.