By: Kayla Friend
The Northeast Region
The Northeastern United States, or simply the Northeast, is a geographical region of the United States.
A semi-permanent high pressure system over the subtropical Atlantic Ocean causes summers to be generally warm and humid. During the winter, the subtropical high retreats eastward, and prevailing westerly flow of air masses combines with the polar jet stream to bring cold and frequent storm systems to the region. Annual mean temperatures range from the low 50s F from Connecticut south to Maryland, and in the 40s F in most of New York State, New England, and northern PA . According to the Northeast Regional Climate Center, the average January temperature in its twelve-state region is 23.6 °F, with 3.07 inches of precipitation. This compares to July, when the regional average temperature is 69.9 °F, with 4.25 inches of precipitation.
Five Fun Facts
- The Northeast has 72 National Wildlife Refuges, encompassing more than 500,000 acres of habitat, and designed to protect some of the 92 different threatened and endangered species living in the region.
- The Northeast region is home to 22 professional sports franchises in the "Big Four" leagues, with more than 110 championships collectively among them. The region has also been noted for the relative prevalence of the traditionally Northeastern sports of ice hockey and lacrosse, and currently has four Major League Soccer teams and three Woman National Basketball Association teams.
- The rate of potentially preventable hospital discharges in the Northeastern United States fell from 2005 to 2011 for overall conditions, acute conditions, and chronic conditions.
- Anthropologists, people who study the human, recognize the "Northeastern Woodlands" as one of the cultural regions that existed in the Western Hemisphere at the time of European colonists in the 15th and later centuries.
- The Northeast Region is the oldest out of all of the others.
Why The Northeast Region is Better
One reason is, because the northeast region is the first region and people may know it more since it's the first. Another is, all states were by the original thirteen colonies, that were settled in the seventeenth century. One more is, New York City, is the largest city and metropolitan area in the United States. The region's population was estimated to be 54,741,353 in 2006.