Outlook: Filter Emails to a Folder
last updated 10/9/2020
What is Filtering Emails to a Folder?
You may want to file certain emails to a specific folder instead of getting lost in your Inbox. With Rules, you can send mail that meets certain criteria (sender, subject includes, message includes, etc) into a specified folder.
You will need a folder for the mail items to go into. Follow the instructions below to create a new folder and setup a new rule.
1. Open the Microsoft Outlook application on your computer (not the web version).
2. Right click on "Inbox".
3. Click "New Folder..."
4. Name the folder and press ENTER. Depending on how may folders you have, this new folder may be moved to the bottom of your folder list.
5. Open an email from the sender whose mail you want to filter.
6. Click the "Home" tab.
7. Click the "Rules" button in the "Move" group.
8. Click "Create Rule..."
9. Under "When I get email with all of the selected conditions" click the "From..." checkbox.
10. Under "Do the following" click the "Move the item to folder:" checkbox, then click the "Select Folder..." button.
11. Click to select the folder you created above that the message will now be moved into. Then click the "OK" button.
12. Click the "OK" button on the Create Rule dialog box.
NOTE: It will then prompt you to run the rule on all emails in the current folder, if you click the checkbox and then click the "OK" button, the message will be moved to the new folder.
If you leave the checkbox empty, the rule will run on all future emails from this sender.