for the Week of March 19th
Reminders from the Principal
All teachers are required to administer a unit assessment every 4.5 weeks and they must be labeled as a unit assessment in your gradebook. These assessments must also appear in the gradebook to reflect grades for that time period. While the expectation is that all teachers will administer at least one unit test every 4.5 weeks, the total number of assessments each nine weeks is determined by the classroom teacher. With assessments counting 75% of the nine weeks grade it behooves each teacher to have more than two. All teachers are required to have spoken to or had face-to-face contact with parents of students who have an "F" in their class BEFORE the end of each 9 weeks. It is NOT the responsibility of the EX ED teacher to make those contacts for the classroom teacher, either. These are non-negotiables.
All staff are responsible for electronic communications and items shared through the google platform. A copy of the current staff handbook for HMS is on the google drive.
All teachers should be uploading evidence to EducateAlabama on a regular basis. Do not wait until the last minute.
Here is a list of reminders for this semester:
1. If we want things to change the change starts with us.
2. All employees will be professional.
3. Attendance counts even for the adults. Attendance must be taken each class period and posted.
4. Our expectations for students have to be taught and have to be consistent across the team if not grade level.
5. All teachers are expected to be on time for school and duty.
6. Hall duty does not mean standing in a huddle and talking about the students. It means actively supervising students in all areas of the building. This includes the lunchroom. Teachers do not have a duty free lunch. Teachers are expected to monitor students to the lunchroom, in the lunchroom (including the line) and on the way back from the lunchroom.
7. All students are expected to be in the classroom when the tardy bell rings.
8. No student should be allowed out of class without a pass, period.
9. Teachers and staff are expected to be on campus all day. Permission to leave campus must be given by an administrator and only if it is school related.
10. 3rd Period Advisement and Career Prep Lessons are not optional. It is the expectation that these lessons will be delivered each Friday including when a teacher is absent.
11. Sub folders should contain emergency lesson plans for a teacher's classes including 3rd period. Rosters for all classes must be included in the Sub-Folders.
Spring Testing Incentives and Reminders
We have begun our ramp-up to the Spring Assessment of the Scantron Performance Series and are introducing an incentive program for our students. It is imperative that all students are at school on testing days and focused to try their best. To encourage students, we are offering the following incentives:
1) Any student who successfully makes their Spring learning target on the Scantron Performance Series Reading Assessment, has no unexcused attendance April 9 through May 4, has no test irregularities during testing and has at least a "C" average in the class can exempt either their English OR their Social Studies final exam in May.
2) Any student who successfully makes their Spring learning target on the Scantron Performance Series Math Assessment, has no unexcused attendance April 9 through May 4, has no test irregularities during testing and has at least a "C" average in the class can exempt either their Math OR their Science final exam in May.
3) All students who have no unexcused attendance April 9 through May 4 and no Class II offenses on test days will be eligible to participate in our End of Testing Beach Bash.
As a reminder to all parents and students, students are not allowed to have ANY digital devices in their possession during testing. Digital devices include cell phones, smart watches, Ipods, tablets and their equivalents. Any student found in possession of a digital device in a testing room will receive at a minimum a Class II, have their device confiscated and the device will be turned over to the district. Test irregularities are at a minimum Class II offences.
Important Reminders for the Week of March 19th Plus
Mar 19 - Timecards required to be approved and corrected by 3 PM
Mar 19 - HMS Tennis vs Westminster Academy
Mar 19 - HMS Baseball at Minor
Mar 19 - HMS Softball vs Bragg @ Natalie Bunn
Mar 20 - HMS Golf vs Minor Middle at Woodward Golf Club
Mar 20 - HMS Baseball @ CCMS
Mar 21 - 3rd Nine Weeks Awards Day Ceremony
Mar 21 - Tornado/Fire Drill - 7th Period
Mar 22 - PST Committee Meeting before school
Mar 22 - PLUS Day - Social Studies
Mar 22 - HMS Track @ Mortimer Jordan High
Mar 22 - HMS Golf @ Fultondale
Mar 22 - HMS Baseball @ Bragg
Mar 22 - HMS Softball vs Bessemer @ Natalie Bunn Field
Mar 24 - HMS Baseball vs Oak Grove @ Bud Newell Field
Mar 26 - 30 - Spring Break
Apr 9 - May 4 - Spring Testing Window
May 4 - Beach Bash for Students who meet expectations
PLUS Team Rotation
Mar 1st - English
Mar 8th - Math
Mar 15th - Science
Mar 22nd - Social Studies
No PLUS Team Meetings in April due to testing
PLUS Team time set aside on Apr 27 PD Day if possible
No PLUS Team Meetings in May
Lesson Plan, Unit Assessments & Contact Log Administrators
- 6th Grade teachers, Poe, Finch, Overton, and Owens submit to Mr. Anders via email.
- 7th Grade teachers, Gonzalez, Moreno, Evans, Williams and Channel submit to Mr. Powell via email.
- 8th Grade teachers, Cerka-Wilkes, A. Smith, Kunath, Whitfield and Richards-Broome submit to Dr. Foster via email.
Lesson Plans/Parent Contact Log Calendar
April 6 (LP Apr 9 – April 20, PC though Apr 5)
April 20 (LP Apr 23 – May 4, PC through Apr 19)
May 4 (LP May 7 – May 24, PC through May 3)
May 25 (PC through May 24)