The Ticehurst/Flint Newsletter
The Week of September 16-20
The Craft of Writing
I wanted to take a moment to talk about the rigor of the 4th grade writing curriculum so that there are no surprises on progress reports or report cards!
Until now, the students haven't really been given specific guidelines and procedures for completing a writing piece to these standards. The art of writing has to be fostered and pruned until it can fully blossom. Writing is a process that will take some time to develop. So please don't be surprised if your kiddos do not bring home 4's any time soon in this subject. There is SO much for them to learn. Simple things such as writing a complete sentence, using a capital letter, and ending with a punctuation mark is still not being executed routinely. Therefore, knowing how to begin a paper, using appropriate transitions into paragraphs, and adding voice will be very difficult for them for a while! THIS IS NORMAL and you should not freak out with their grades in this subject! =) Again, I want to reiterate, that it is a slow and methodical process. I am having to start at the very beginning with correct sentence expectations. From here we will grow and build! I have had the "don't get frustrated" talk with my amazing kiddos but I wanted to have this "talk" with you at home as well! They will get to where I need them to be; we just all need to be patient!
Each of my students are amazing, and I know amazing writing pieces will soon flow from their pens. I am excited to see them blossom with a little tender, loving care!
4th Grade Field Trip
Tuesday, Sep. 17th, 9:30amWHERE
Dallas Museum of Art
Don't forget that our field trip to the Dallas Museum of Art is Tuesday, September 17!
PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS ALSO PICTURE DAY AT SCHOOL!
4th grade will be the first ones to take pictures that morning and we are sure the majority of you do not want your child's picture in their McGowen shirt! If this is the case, please make sure you have their McGowen shirt packed and ready to slip on as soon as they have smiled pretty for the camera! Walking shoes are a priority this day too!
Field Trip Details:
Cost: $2 for students & parents are FREE!
Volunteers: We would like several volunteers for this day! Please let us know if you can accompany us this day to help! You must first be background checked by MISD!!! If you will be volunteering, and would like to drive your child home FROM the DMA, please let us know so that we can get you the permission slip for that. Children may not ride TO the DMA with parents!!! Also, parents may ride the bus only if there is room available!!!
Departing from McGowen: 9:30
Returning to campus: 2:00
Lunch: MUST bring a sack lunch that is totally disposable.
- Be sure to sign your child's planner each night.Homework will go out each week on Friday, and be turned in on Thursday of the following week. However, work loads will shift so please do not wait until the last minute to get these completed!!! If students haven't completed the packets by Thursday, they will join us for a lunch bunch to work on completing them. Thank you so much for helping with this at home. Your child will have a Spelling Test every Friday!
- Our class is in need of the game "Boggle". If you are interested in purchasing, please contact Mrs. Ticehurst first, just to make sure that it has not already been purchased! Thank in advance!!!
- If you haven't already joined the PTA, please do so!!!
- The Guidance Focus for this month is RESPONSIBILITY!!!
- Thank you to everyone who participated in the Cookie Dough Fundraiser! This money goes to buy great things for our school!!!
- ALSO, PLEASE GO OUT AND VOTE IN THE TRE ELECTION!!!
Things to look forward to:
September 17th- Field Trip & Fall picture day & Chick Fil A night
September 18th- Progress reports will go home
September 19th- Science MAP
September 21st- MISD Learning Expo @ MBHS
September 24th- PTA Purple Cow Night
September 27th- Mav Fan Jam; 2012 Volunteer Approvals Expire
September 30th-October 4th- September Novel Presentations Due!!!
Writing: Verbs & Adverbs, Adjective Man Final Copies
Social Studies: Adding Regions, Landforms, Rivers, Lakes, and Major Cities to our Buckskin Maps
Math: Addition & Subtraction