Nutrition and Osteoporosis
What is osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is a disease that causes weak bones, bones to lose calcium, bones to become fragile, and break easily. Three ways a person can help prevent against this disease is build healthy bones while young, have a healthy diet, and have a healthy life style.
Why is dairy food good?
Milk and dairy products contain many nutrients that our bodies need to absorb.
- Calcium - for healthy bones and teeth
- Phosphorous - for energy release
- Magnesium - for muscle function
- Protein - for growth and repair
- Vitamin B12 - for production of healthy cells
- Vitamin A - for good eyesight and immune function
- Zinc - for immune function
- Riboflavin - for healthy skin
- Folate - for production of healthy cells
- Vitamin C - for formation of healthy connective tissues.
- Iodine - for regulation of the body's rate of metabolism
5 Healthy Food Choices
- Greens- such as, lettuce, kale, mustard greens, and broccoli. They all have calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, zinc, and vitamins A, C, E, and K in them.
- Sweet vegetables- such as, corn, carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, and onions.
- Fruit- such as, berries, apples, oranges and mangos. These provide fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants.
- Skim milk
- Low-fat cheeses
"The Dairy Council." The Importance of Milk and Dairy Products as Part of a Healthy Balanced Diet. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=131>.
ooray! Here's your new citation:
"Healthy Eating." : Easy Tips for Planning a Healthy Diet and Sticking to It. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Oct. 2015. <http://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-eating/healthy-eating.htm>.