WINTER PARK BAND Weekly Newsletter
May 9, 2021
2021-2022 Marching Percussion Placement Auditions
Tuesday, May 11th, 6-8pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
COLOR GUARD SPRING SHOWCASE
Wednesday, May 12th, 7-8pm
528 Huntington Avenue
Winter Park, FL
2021-2022 Color Guard Tryouts
Thursday, May 13th, 5-7pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
From Mr. Clemente
Dear Winter Park Band families,
Happy Mother's Day to all of our wonderful Band Moms! Thank you for all that you do!
Congratulations to our 2021-2022 Band President: Maddie Visconti! We are looking forward to see what you do in this role for the coming school year. Elections for other representatives of the 2021-2022 Band Council will take place this coming Wednesday, May 12.
2021-2022 Band Registration
If you missed this week's Band registration night, not to worry! Please find instructions below and register your student for next year's band as soon as you are able.
This week, the Color Guard holds their final performance on Wednesday with their Spring Color Guard Showcase. The performance will be held at the 9th Grade Center Auditorium. We are also holding placement auditions for next year's Marching Percussion sections (Drumline and Front Ensemble) on Tuesday evening and hold tryouts for next year's Color Guard on Thursday. We also will join in with the rest of our school community for the Senior Drive-through on Thursday evening. A busy week of farewells and new beginnings!
Looking ahead, our Marching Band Mini-Camp will take place the weekend before the last day of school. Saturday, May 22 from 12 - 6 PM New Marchers/Incoming Freshmen, Student Leadership, Drumline, Front Ensemble, and Color Guard will begin the new year working on our Les Miserables show. Then on Sunday, May 23 from 2 - 8 PM all of the students of the Winter Park Band will come together to rehearse and mark the first time the 2021 "Sound of the Wildcats" Marching Band will meet!
Thank you to our Band families who heeded my message last week to look at their financial statement on Charms as you read this Newsletter. We have had a number of payments made, but the Band program still currently has $7,253.50 in Past Due Band Payments. All Band payments came due back on Wednesday, March 3, 2021, and the Financial Obligations schedule has been sent out at the end of every Newsletter. All student accounts must be brought to date immediately. Students with Past Due Payments will be placed on the school's Obligations List. For Seniors especially, the Graduation tickets will be withheld and the Student Services office will not release student diplomas until a student's Past Due Obligations have been paid.
Please see our Band Promo for the coming 2021-2022 school year. A big thank you to Maddie Visconti for putting together the video! We would appreciate it if you share the video wherever you can on social media, especially with our incoming Band families.
Thank you and congratulations to our Seniors and their families on your approaching last day of high school. The Band program will never forget your contributions, and we wish you the best in all your future endeavors. Visit often!
Let's have a great week!
Band Promo 2021 - Please Share!
From the Band Booster President
Week of May 9, 2021
Happy Mother’s Day to all the band moms, grandmothers, and mother figures who support your students. We appreciate all of you and hope you have a relaxing day.
Congratulations to all of the Seniors!! We will miss you so much and wish you happiness and success as you move on to a new chapter.
If you have not registered for band next year, please do so, and encourage new families you know to do the same.
Please keep an eye on the calendar for upcoming events. If you are interested in helping out next year, we will need help in uniforms, provisions (meals), and communications. Please contact me for more information at (email@example.com). We appreciate all of you!!
Have a great week everyone. Best of luck as we approach the end of the year.
It is now time for all underclassmen to return their school owned instruments. Any school owned instrument must be returned no later than Wednesday, May 12th. Once the instrument that was lent to you has been returned and checked by Mr. Smith, it will either be checked directly back out to you, or it will be sent in for necessary repairs before all of the reapir shops get swarmed over the summer. Please check for any and all marching instruments, especially marching baritones and mellophones, so that we can get those back out to you in time for Mini-Camp.
2021-2022 BAND REGISTRATION
If you missed last week's Band Registration Night, don't worry! It is not too late to register your student for next year's Band. Please follow the steps outlined below as soon as you you are able.
Please note that Band Registration Night is different than the “course registration” done by guidance counselors in the winter, and it is for all new and returning Band students.
The following forms are included below in Step 3 and should be signed and turned in at the May 4 Registration Night:
- WPHS Bands Financial Obligations 2021/2022 (specific for “Woodwind/Brass/Percussion,” and “Color Guard/Winter Guard”)
- Emergency Treatment Authorization Card
- OCPS Model Release Form
The following forms are for informational purposes only (nothing to be turned in):
- Uniform Information 2021/2022
- Essential Equipment for the High School Musician
- What Do I Need for Marching Band?
Registration Step 1
- Complete the Band Registration Google Form
Registration Step 2
- Make the $25 Registration Payment on either the below SchoolPay.com link or by check made out to WPHS Bands.
- Make the $60 Band Camp Meals (optional) payment on the below SchoolPay.com link or by check made out to WPHS Bands.
- 2021/2022 Band Registration and Band Camp Meals SchoolPay Link
Registration Step 3
- Complete the forms in the following 2021-2022 Band Registration Forms packet that applies to your student's main instrument and return the completed and signed forms at Band Registration Night on Tuesday, May 4.
- Woodwind/Brass/Percussion Registration Packet
- Color Guard Registration Packet
Have questions? Contact Mr. Clemente at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuesday, May 18 - 2021-2022 Marching Percussion & Color Guard Rehearsal, 6 - 8 PM
Saturday, May 22 - 2021-2022 Marching Band Mini-Camp, New Marchers, Student Leadership, Percussion, and Color Guard, 12 - 6 PM
Sunday, May 23 - 2021-2022 Marching Band Mini-Camp, All Students, 2 - 8 PM
Tuesday, May 25 - Last Day of School
Monday, July 19 - Thursday, July 22 - Band Camp Week 1
Monday, July 26 - Friday, July 30 - Band Camp Week 2
Unlike a full band rehearsal experience, studying with a private teacher focuses in on the student’s individual needs. Students who study privately once a week from a professional musician are usually those who excel and find Band more enjoyable. These students frequently earn positions in honor groups like All-State and All-County, and make entry into our more advanced bands like Wind Symphony and Jazz Ensemble I. Some even go on to earn college scholarships, even if they are not majoring in music!
By following the link below, you will find a list of local private teachers. This list is not exhaustive, and there may be other individuals who are not on the list. If you know a private teacher who should be added (or would like to be deleted), please contact Mr. Clemente at email@example.com.
FINANCES & CHARMS
At this point in the year, all past due student balances should be brought up to date. Please see below for a "how-to" to check your student's account in Charms.
Past Due Band Payments:
- Band Registration Fair Share - $25.00 Due 5/5
- Fair Share Payment 1 - $25.00 Due 8/19
- Fair Share Payment 2 - $25.00 Due 9/30
- Jazz Fair Share Payment 1(if applies) - $15.00 Due 9/30
- School Instrument Semester 1 Maintenance(if applies) - $60.00 Due 9/30
- Marching Band Shoes - $30.00 Due 11/30
- Jazz Fair Share Payment 2 (if applies) - $15.00 Due 1/6/21
- School Instrument Semester 2 Maintenance (if applies) - $60.00 Due 1/6/21
- Fair Share Payment 3 - $75.00 Due 3/3
Viewing your Student's Financial Account in Charms:
There is a direct link to Charms in "Quick Links" on the band website.
- Our school code is winterparkhsband
- The Student Area Password would be a unique password that either the student or parent have set up. (If you don't know the password it can be reset by one of the band directors).
- Once you have logged into the Student Area, click on the round, red $ symbol on the top menu bar to view your student's account
- If your student has earned Band Account Credit (in the Miscellaneous Ledger) this credit can be transferred to pay for many band fees: Fair Share, School Instrument Maintenance, Registration Fees for All-State, All-County and Solo Ensemble.
Requesting a Credit Transfer to pay for Fixed Payments Due:
- Click on the "Transfer Request" tab just below the round, red $ symbol. Select the fixed payment you would like to pay for using the credit. The request is sent to the band directors and the band booster treasurer.
- SENIORS: Please check your credit balance and use it accordingly during the year. Credit for Seniors left at the end of the year can only be transferred to siblings.
2020-2021 FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS SCHEDULE
If you are having a technology issue and have not yet reached out to the school about resolution, please email Mr. Steffey at Donald.Steffey@ocps.net to set up an appointment at school for your computer to be looked at. Email should be sent as soon as you read this!
As a reminder, students are considered present in their LaunchED class if they:
- Joined the call before the tardy bell.
- Have their camera on the entire class period.
- Are able to be seen, face and instrument, in the camera view.
- Participate in class from bell to bell.
Students who do not have their camera on for the duration of class, and we have not received an email from the school stating awareness of the issue and work towards it being resolved, will be marked absent.
Thank you for your work to resolve these technology issues!
Help the Band with Amazon Smile!
Make a difference for Band students with every day purchases! Shop at smile.amazon.com/ch/27-0964817 to generate donations for Winter Park High School Band Alumni Association Inc. Once this charity is selected, always type in Smile.Amazon.com to place orders.
**NEW THIS YEAR!...To enable AmazonSmile on the Amazon mobile app:
- Open the app (sign in) and touch the three horizontal lines in the top left corner. Select "See All Programs" , then select "AmazonSmile".