SpaceTravel Past To Future
By; Ranique Janvier
spacetravel past to present
- In 1957 U.S.S.R. launches Sputnik 1, as the first artificial satellite.
- In 1961 Yuri Gagarin was the first human in space.
- In 1962 John Glenn is the first human to orbit the Earth.
- In 1969 Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the moon
- In 2015 NASA plans to send astronauts to Mars in 2061.
Space Mirror Memorial
- January 27, 1967 NASA's Virgil Grissom a.k.a. Gus Grissom was killed along with fellow astronauts Ed White and Roger Chaffee during a pre-launch test for the Apollo 1 mission.
- April 24, 1967 Vladimir Komarov died of a parachute failure when re-entering the atmosphere as the capsule hit the ground during the Soyuz 1 Mission.
- October 5, 1967 Clifton C. Williams crashed due to an aileron control mechanical failure, about 15 miles (24 km) north of Tallahassee, Florida Williams was ejected too low for the parachute to open properly.
- March 27, 1968 Yuri Glenn along with his flight instructor Vladimir Seryogin when their trainer jet crashed from what was determined to be an avoidance of weather balloons.