STDs 101:Genital Herpes.
Information for you to get the help you need.
Genital Herpes. What is it?
Genital Herpes is an STD (sexually transmitted disease) and caused by herpes simplex virus 1 or herpes simplex virus 2. Genital herpes is very common, very contagious, and spread through having sex.
- 1 in every 4 adults have genital herpes.
- More women over men get genital herpes.
- Every 30 seconds, another person gets genital herpes. The number of cases has gone up over 30% over the decade.
- About 50%-80% of adults in the U.S. have oral herpes.
To prevent getting/spreading herpes, use latex condoms whenever you have sex.
Get tested for it. You never know and you would hate to spread that to someone you care about!
The most important step to help prevent herpes is ABSTINENCE.
Symptoms & Treatment.
Symptoms and Treatment.
There are many symptoms that can occur with this STD, in both men and women. Some of the symptoms include:
- Raw, red areas around your genitals.
- Itching around genitals.
- Small or painful blisters on or around your vagina or penis.
- Blisters may occur in your inside the Urethra or place where your urine comes out.
- Painful urinating.