Tech Notes - May
Topics: FrontLIne, Roll-ins, Projects, Classroom A-V...
Frontline Account Changes
HOW THIS AFFECTS YOU
We will transition onto the Insights Platform on Friday, May 25, a little after 9:30 am. You will receive an email invitation from email@example.com. Use this email to create your new Frontline ID account. Moving forward, you will use this single account to access all your Frontline applications. Please click Create a Frontline ID from the email and follow the instructions. For more information on creating your Frontline ID, please review this article: Receiving an Email Invitation for a Frontline Application.
Please note you will continue to use your existing Phone Login ID and Pin when using the phone/kiosk system. In other words, iPad or similar time-clocks will function as they always have for the purposes of clocking in and out.
4th Generation iPad Collection
4th generation iPads are the larger size, and are no longer able to update to the latest version of the iOS operating system. The largest batch is all of the kindergarten iPads, but there are also around 300 currently being used by staff.
Most of these will be swapped out for a newer iPad. A full list of these devices and last known whereabouts can be found here.
There will still be a 2:1 ratio of devices to students.
Note that these will be new, meaning they will not have any apps installed on them for the start of the year.
We do not have a wide variety of case colors to choose from for this model, so we expect all cases to be the same color.
We expect new iPads to be ready on or around August 20th.
K-2 and Specials cart and crate cables
Seesaw End of the Year Reminders:
Ignore any end-of-year emails from Seesaw
You do not need to archive your courses (tech will take care of this)
Please do not delete any students from your classrooms
- Do not turn off parent access
Roll-in Schedule for Devices
- Part 1 - Pre-Collection Information (5/18/18)
- Part 2 - Collection Day (5/25/18)
East & West Junior Highs
- Part 1 - Pre-Collection Information (5/18/18)
- Part 2 - Collection Day (5/29/18, 10:55-12:55)
High School Collection Dates & Times
- Thursday, May 24th – 10:00-4:00
- Friday, May 25th – 10:00-4:00
- Tuesday, May 29 - 11:00-3:00
- Wednesday, May 30 - 10:00-1:00
Tokata Learning Center
- Wednesday, May 30 - 8:00-3:00
3rd-5th Roll-in Plan
DLC Staff sent out e-mails with the following info and also included presentations to use with your classes to walk through the process.
The 3rd and 4th grade iPads will not be erased and will be rolled up to the next grade in order for the students to use them on the first day of school this fall! The 5th grade iPads will be erased and cycled down to 3rd grade and set up in the fall. We do need your help in getting these iPads ready for summer. We have prepared a short presentation you can go through with your students.
The last day iPads will be available to classrooms and students is Friday, May 25th.
Before May 25th, go through this presentation with your students. Each student needs to:
Clean their iPad (You will be provided with cleaning wipes)
Delete all photos (3rd-4th only)
Take a Selfie and Set-Lock Screen (3rd-4th only)
Label iPad with Post-It note (3rd-4th only)
Roll-in Schedule for Mi-Fi
High School - 12th graders: 5/25/18
Junior High: 5/29/18
High School & Tokata: 10th & 11th graders not holding on to MacBook over summer: 5/30/2018
Clear cache for IC login
- From the “Menu” button in the upper-right corner of the Chrome window, choose “More Tools” > “Clear browsing data…“.
- Press “CTRL” + “Shift” + “Delete” keys in Windows or Linux, or “Command” + “Shift” + “Delete” keys on MacOS.
Frontline Professional Learning Management
Note that KeepCertified will remain active through June 2019. We will be providing additional info around the start of the school year about how to migrate data from KeepCertified to Frontline.
E-mail Group Name Changes
The format would be: <Building Initials>_Group Name
Current list of Building Initials
CFC - Central Family Center
DO - District Office
EC - Eagle Creek
JC - Jackson
RO - Red Oak
SP - Sun Path
SW - Sweeney
PR - Pearson
EJH - East Junior High (will change to either E or EMS this summer)
WJH - West Junior High (will change to either W or WMS this summer)
HS - High School
TLC - Tokata Learning Center
We also use these initials:
DW - District Wide
Password Policy Changes
- We are discontinuing the practice of forcing password changes annually.
Any passwords created from now on will have the following minimum requirements:
- Must be between 8 to 16 characters long.
- Cannot contain any part of your username or name.
- Cannot be any of your last three passwords.
Managed Print Services Switch
In July, we will be switching services to Loffler. This will create another transition period, but we hope to end up with more efficient services and we will see a cost-per-page reduction of about 20% less than our current rates.
Tech Tools Website Refresh
Audio-Visual Committee 2018-2019
This spring we sent out a survey on the topic of audio-visual equipment use in the classroom. This helped to clarify how hardware such as interactive white boards and software such as Smart Notebook were being used in the district. It also reinforced the need to get active participation in the process of looking at our audio-visual environment and developing a plan for what it looks like a year, five years, even ten years from now.
At the start of the 2018-2019, we will invite staff to join an audio-visual exploratory committee. This group will be focused on PK-8 spaces.
Challenges that committee must confront include:
- SmartBoard as a company has done little to innovate in the past few years and has actually made their software less functional (on Macs) in recent releases.
- When the district chose to go with a Mac platform, it appears that not enough consideration was given to the limitations of Macs when it comes to interactive whiteboards.
- The technical environment in this district from initial investment in SmartBoards up to now has changed dramatically. Teacher mobility on Mac laptops, student access to tech at 1:1 levels in 3rd grade and up, tablet devices (iPads) K-8 – none of these were present or remotely foreseen at the time. Continuing to invest in A-V technology that pays no heed to our actual day to day environment is a practice borne of inertia, not innovation.
- Funding to do a mass upgrade is limited in any given calendar year and we are a couple years out from being able to make significant, district-wide changes to our A-V environment. Which is why now is the time to start planning for what’s next.
Staff involvement will be critical to the success of such a committee and to the process of reviewing options moving forward and making innovative and informed decisions on what comes next. So, if you are interested, please be on the look-out for news about this committee in late August-early September.
Here are some things we will be working on for next school year
- Launch of Frontline Professional Learning Management
- Launch of Frontline Central
- Refining our use of LaserFiche and exploring the use of LaserFiche Forms
- General availability of Infinite Campus Fee payment through the parent portal
- A-V Committee
- Development of bid documents for phone system replacement
- Bidding and vendor selection for phone system replacement (summer 2019 completion)
- Continue to strategically upgrade and reduce printer fleet