Academy of St. Benedict the African
October 16, 2022
Week of October 16, 2022
Hello, St. Benedict the African Families,
The video above has highlights of this week's bulletin.
Monday is a kind shirt day! Wear kind shirts with correct uniform bottoms.
Children who are sick must stay home. COVID and the Flu are quite prevalent. Please discuss vaccinating for both with your healthcare provider if you haven't. We have a responsibility to each other, as a community, to work to keep everyone well.
All families must have birth certificates and immunization records on file by Monday morning. Families have been contacted repeatedly. Children who are missing those documents will be excluded from school on Tuesday. The office must see appointment cards for children to stay in school who have upcoming appointments. We are a recognized Illinois non-public school and must follow all state laws regarding immunizations and records.
Also, tuition payments for most families are due Monday. Please review your family's FACTS account or call the business office (x102 or X103) for clarity.
Our Flag Football Team won on Saturday and will play for the championship this Friday, the 21st, at 6 PM at Leo High School. Come on out and support our team! We are closing extended day at 5:45 on Friday so that all can attend the game on time.
Featured Families: Would you like to be a St. Benedict the African Featured Family? Complete this form! We love spotlighting our families and will even offer 1 PAW for participating!
Our busy month continues - here's what is happening this week:
- October 17th - All immunization information and birth certificates must be submitted to the school to avoid exclusion
- October 18th - Fight Like A Girl program 3:30-4:30 for those registered. Class is full
- October 19th - Chipotle Night - Come to 63rd & Halsted Chipotle between 4-7 - order in or out and support our school! It's a fun community-building night, and proceeds will help with our continuing library project. I will be there from about 4:30-7.
- October 21st - SPIRIT DAY - Students may wear jeans or jogging pants with their St. Benedict hoodie, Kind shirt, and/or gym sweatshirt. Students must wear gym shoes. Clothing must be school appropriate.
- October 21st - Home Run Inn Pizza Day - Prepaid orders. $1 for cookies that day (everyone). Some extra pizza will be available for those who didn't preorder. Regular lunch is available for all.
- October 21st - Flag Football Championship 6 PM at Leo High School
More information about the Harvest Fest is coming. PK - grade 3 students may dress up for Halloween. Costumes must not have weapons or be gory and bloody. Students in grades 4-8 will have a dress-down day. Grades 5-8 will be involved in a basketball tournament that afternoon and should wear clothes for play. The cost is $10/per student. This will include some food for all. Gr. PK-4 will have games in the morning, and grades 5-8 will have basketball and fun in the afternoon. Grades PK-4 will trick or treat around the building in the afternoon before going home. We need help for this to all come together! Call the office to volunteer - volunteers must be in compliance.
Please continue to be courteous and kind at drop-off and pick-up. A few extra minutes won't hurt, and our children's safety is at stake. Please keep sick children home. We have a shared responsibility to keep everyone healthy!
All scholars enter the school at door 1. For extended-day families, pick-up is from door 2 after 3:30.
Let's make this a great week of learning!
773-776-3316 enter 101 at the voicemail message if needed.
This is required, not suggested. Those failing to follow the stated uniform will be given the proper items to wear.
Please help us build our community by having your child/ren wear the proper clothing daily.
- Navy blue slacks, skort, or jumper
- Light blue polo shirt with the school logo or name
- gym shoes with white, black, or blue socks or tights - no leggings
- School hoodie, gym sweatshirt, or plain (no brand logos) navy blue sweater
Gym or Dance day:
- Gym uniform
- Light blue school t-shirt with either logo or tiger
- Black sweatpants with the school logo (plain black (no brand logos showing) sweatpants will work)
- School hoodie or gym sweatshirt
Only plain navy sweaters, school hoodies, or school gym sweatshirts may be worn during the day over the polo.
The gym uniform must be purchased at Martinellis 3517 W. 95th, Evergreen Park.
The school has the polo ($15) and the school hoodie ($20 cash/$23 card). We have a limited supply of extra Kind shirts available for $5. Cash only, please, for those shirts. Please label all hoodies and sweatshirts.
Also, the children will be asked to remove their jewelry if wearing any. It's a distraction, against our dress code, and creates safety concerns. All boys should remove their earrings before coming to school. Our dress code regarding jewelry and nail polish aligns with all other Catholic Schools in our council.
In choosing our school, you agree to follow the uniform policy.
The calendar is always accessible on our website and our mobile app.
2022-2023 School Calendar
Tuition Payments & Action for Children
It's essential that payments are made as scheduled so that the school can meet its obligations.
Please contact me or Ms. Fernandez, our business manager, if you have concerns.
School & Office Hours
Arrival for breakfast 7:15 AM - 7:35 AM
Classes Begin: 7:45 AM (Children not in their seats at 7:45 are marked tardy)
School Ends at 2:45 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. 2:00 PM on Wednesdays
Extended Day: 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM - to reach extended day, call the school and enter 107 at the recording.
Office Hours - Every Day - 6:30 - 3:30 and by appointment
UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES!
- October 17th - Kind Shirt Day
- October 19th - Chipotle Fundraiser 4pm - 7pm - 63rd and Halstead
- October 21st - Spirit Day - Wear St. Benedict Hoodie, Kind Shirt, or gym sweatshirt with jeans, jogging pants, and gym shoes. Come out and cheer on our football team at 6 PM at Leo High School.
- October 25th - Picture Day
- October 28th - Harvest Fest $10/student
- November 14th - 17th - Scholastic Bookfair
- November 17th - Parent-Teacher Conferences from 8-4, Remote Learning Day with Childcare available from 6:30 - 5:15.
- November 18th - NO SCHOOL/NO Childcare - Professional Learning Day
- November 21st - 25th Thanksgiving Break - NO SCHOOL
- December 13th - NO EXTENDED DAY - ALL Staff Meeting
- December 21st - Christmas Program at 9 AM Last day of school before Christmas.
- December 22nd - January 3rd - Christmas Break
- January 4th - All return to school