February 10, 2016
“We succeed only when students succeed. That is our goal. That is our passion. That is our work.” Nate Davis
- Dates: Leadership Academy begins in 3 weeks. The dates for Leadership Academy #3 are February 26, March 11, and March 25.
- Focus: The first session is Change Management with Laurie Erdman and is a continuation of the session she presented at the 2016 HOS Summit.
- Attendance and Project Requirement: Attendance is mandatory because you will use what you learn to create a project during each Leadership Academy. You will share your projects with your RVP and they are connected to your individual PMO's.
- Prework - Please see the Change Management Corner below for more information about Leadership Academy #3 prework.
Head of School in the Spotlight
Improving Virtual Work Connections!
Check out Harvard Business Review: Working smoothly with a virtual boss.
This article gives you very succinct advice for how to create a smooth working relationship when you are managing people virtually.
ACTION: In lieu of a video this week, please read the article and we will reflect on these questions on our HOS call this Friday:
- How can you take one of these statements and live it out. What actions would we see you doing?
- Which of the one of these tips would be easiest for you to implement? Which is most difficult, and why?
- Which one of these tips would give you the most leverage with your team?
Cheers to You!
Take an opportunity to celebrate a colleague(s) via our weekly "Cheers" shout outs. Here are this week's cheers:
I am cheering for Alan Eldridge - our new HRBP in the Central Region - because he is incredible to work with and is always willing to lend an ear to help brainstorm ideas! Thanks for being such a great part of the Central Region. This HOS is thrilled to get to work with you!
I am cheering for Carrie McClain because she is one of the most supportive and knowledgeable leaders to work with. She makes the job we do as Heads of School much easier. Thanks, Carrie!
We would like to extend our tremendous thanks to Tina Littell for the countless hours she’s spent over the last two months, listening to and interpreting the feedback and incorporating all of it into this beautifully formatted Academic Plan.
We would like to highlight your Cheers in the next HOS Highlights newsletter. Feel free to cheer for regional teams as well as your fellow HOS's. Please submit your cheers on the form below.
Change Management Corner
Prework for Leadership Academy#3: Change Management
*This information is recurring from last week
Please complete the following prework prior to February 26th when you join your colleagues for Leadership Academy 3. The following statements (Prework) come from Laurie Erdman'sPresentation on Change Management at our HOS Summit in January.
- Answer/journal the questions on slide 7. If there are things you are not bought into about the upcoming change, determine what you need to do or who you need to speak with to get yourself there so you can create buy-in.
- Next answer/journal the questions on slide 10-15. These questions will help see where you might have resistance or where you need to shore up support or infrastructure.
- On Slide 16, from the leading list identify your strength and your weakness. Reach out for support on your weakness.
- Finally, do the work as described on slides 20 through 24. Step 1 is about having conversations with your staff 1-1 to ensure they all have a shared perspective of why they are working for your school. These conversations will also help you understand what is important to them and to reconnect them with that. Steps 2-4 are work on your own – setting an intention and getting clear (at a high level) what needs to be done to close that gap from a change management perspective.
- If you have any questions please reach out to Laurie.
Past issues of the HOS Highlights
Leadership Academies and HOS meetings Dates
Leadership Academy #2
· October 9th
~October 23rd *HOS Call and Leadership Academy
· November 6th
~November 20th *HOS Call Only
~December 18th *HOS Call Only
~January 22nd *HOS Call Only
~February 12th *HOS Call Only
Leadership Academy #3
· February 26th
~March 11th *HOS Call and Leadership Academy
· March 25th
Leadership Academy #4
· April 15th
~April 29th **HOS Call and Leadership Academy
· May 13th
~May 27th *HOS Call Only
Leadership Academy #5
· June 10th
~ June 24th *HOS Call and Leadership Academy
· July 8th
~July 29th- *HOS Call Only
Reoccurring Information Below
Leadership Academy Titan Pads
Team members: Amanda Conley, Cassie Barton, Josh Williams, Katrina Abston, Lynn Barr, Mark Christiano, Matt Arkin
Team members: Faith Shanholtzer, Kelly Van Sande, Kendall Schroeder, Josh Williams, Marcus Moore, Nicholaus Sutherland, Nicole Tiley, Lynn Barr, Sara Baker
Team members: Pam Jonidis, Beth Lorigan, Caroline McIntosh, David Crook, Ryan Clepper, Stacey Hutchings, Steven Hoff
Team Members: Laurie Erdman, Brandy Osborn, Byron Ernest, Elizabeth Roth, JD McMahan Joel Medley, Theresa Gallagher Scott Sides, Sheryl Tatum
Team Members Sheila Sheibler,Cherry Daniel, Jeffrey Bush, Jessie Thoman, John Huber, Kelly Edginton, Monti Pittman, Theresa Gallagher Suzanne Sloane, Theresa Gallagher, Veronica Clemons
The Leadership Academy Basics
- Weekly Leadership Academies begin at Noon EST every Friday afternoon and run for 90 minutes
- Here is the participant link.
- It is highly recommended that you participate in the weekly academies via BBC because the classes are going to be interactive. Your experience will not be as rich if you join via phone only
- Pertinent school services information that was typically presented during Friday HOS calls will be shared via regional calls, the weekly HOS newsletter, or monthly national HOS calls
- This newsletter will have all of the information you need for the upcoming training and will arrive in your inbox every Wednesday morning
iLead@K12/School Leadership Development & Support Team
2015/16 Leadership Academy Content and Focus
2015-2016 Leadership Standards and Practices
Leadership Academy #1- "Explore U": YOU are the focus of Leadership Academy #1 entitled, Explore "U". Throughout the first seven weeks we will focus on your strengths as indicated in the Myers-Briggs assessment most of you took in January, 2015. Throughout the cycle you will build upon your strengths and learn to leverage those strengths to minimize weaknesses.
Leadership Academy #2- "Build It and They Will Come": Your knowledge and expertise will be leveraged to build out content for one of the leadership strands. Each School leader chooses one standard to work with over the course of the 7 week cycle. The goal will be to codify your expertise within the leadership strand to build a complete leadership Academy cycle in your area chosen area.
Leadership Academies #3-5-: Once the content is built, you will choose one strand to focus on for the remaining cycles. Choice is built into the process and we would like you to choose two standards. We suggest you work with your RVP/DRVP to choose one leadership strand that you would like additional support in. The strands include: Strategic Leadership, Instructional Leadership, Community, Human Resources, and Organizational Management.
The iLEAD team leads the design, development, execution, and evaluation of national programs that build exceptional school leadership across K12’s network of managed schools. The team coordinates school, regional and national efforts to improve leadership practice and school outcomes.