Learning at Home
March 15, 2020
Food Sources Available for Students
More Food Options
· Beginning March 20, 2020, Lafayette School Corporation along with their Food Service Partner, Chartwells, will be providing free breakfast and lunch to families. All meals will be for children under the age of 18.
· Meals will be distributed from the student drop-off area at Glen Acres Elementary. These meals will be distributed from Lafayette School Corporation Food Truck. Meals will also be served from the drop-off area of Miller Elementary.
· The hours of the meal pick up will be from 9:00 A.M. to 12:30 P.M.
· Services will be provided from 3/20/2020 Monday through Friday until 4/3/2020. These dates may be extended if necessary.
· These meals will be given out drive-thru style. Parents and students must remain in their vehicles and a staff member will come to your vehicle to provide the meals. Both breakfast and lunch will be given to students at that time.
· Serving sites are subject to change as needed.
· These meals are in addition to the meals previously advertised, which will be given out at Sunnyside and Tecumseh.
Year Book Orders
You may order an Edgelea yearbook for 10.00 but time is running out. Please visit
https://inter-state.com/yearbook or click on the link below.
ENTER THIS CODE 44307Z
You may only order through March 21, 2020.
Pick Up Student Work
If your child was absent last Friday, you can still come in to school and pick up iPad and books from 8-4:00 on Thursday or Friday of this week. The school will be closed for Spring Break March 23-27. The plan is for the principal to be back in the office on March 30-April 3.
Physical Education E-Learning from Mr. Cross
TPA Pizza Fundraiser is Cancelled
Free Mystery Science Mini Lessons
Story Time From Space
Story Time from Space is a project of the Global Space Education Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit education foundation.
We send children’s books to the International Space Station.
While in space, astronauts are videotaping themselves reading these books to the children of Earth. These videos are being edited and placed on this Story Time From Space website- look under the heading ” Story Time Videos”.
Astronauts on the ISS will also conduct and videotape educational demonstrations designed by Veteran Canadian Astronaut, Bjarni Tryggvason, to complement the science concepts found in the Story Time From Space books – look under the heading “Science Time Videos”.
Scratch and Scratch Jr.
With Scratch, you can program your own interactive stories, games, and animations — and share your creations with others in the online community.
Scratch helps young people learn to think creatively, reason systematically, and work collaboratively — essential skills for life in the 21st century.
Scratch is a project of the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at the MIT Media Lab. It is provided free of charge.
Troubleshooting Kindergarten iPads
I had a parent message today and tell me that she struggled to get her kindergarten child's iPad connected to the internet. However, she went into settings and turned on VPN. This is located near the Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi, Blue-Tooth sections. After turning VPN on, it worked.
Another tried and true trick is to turn the iPad off and turn it back on again. This resets it and often corrects issues.
How to Turn an iPad Off
- Press and hold the on/off/sleep button at the top right corner of the iPad.
- Keep holding the button until a slider appears on the screen.
- Move the Slide to power off slider all the way to the right, or choose Cancel to keep the iPad on.
Free WiFi in Lafayette
We provide this information for your convenience. If you do not have Wi-Fi at home, we would absolutely not expect you to drive around town to find internet for your elementary age child to do homework. We do understand that not all children will be able to access internet over this shut down. You are welcome to call me at Edgelea if I can be of assistance to you by providing books or other additional learning opportunities during this shut down.
March 19-20 8-4:00
March 30-Apr 3 8-4:00
I have also heard that Comcast is offering free Wi-Fi to families during this time, but I don't have any more details on that. You might want to phone Comcast for more information.