The Monday Minute
IMLEA November 1, 2021
Indiana Connections at the AMLE Virtual Conference
- Dr. Nikki Woodson, Superintendent of MSD Washington Township, will accept the "National Educator of the Year" Award during the general session on Saturday at 9:45 am (with Gholdy Muhammad as speaker following). She will also be a judge for the Student Voice Off competition on Thursday night (which includes student Julia Polit from Bloomington.)
- Tammy Miller and Mary Anne Knapp from Readable English will be speaking at 2:40 on Friday about "Literacy is Equity: It is not too Late for our Middle Level Students to Read at Grade Level."
- Tara Mitchell and several students from Tri-West Middle School will present "Inclusive Youth Leadership: Student Perceptions and Implementation" at 3:40 pm on Friday. This relates to their successful experiences with Special Olympics and the Champions Together program. (See more about Champions later in this newsletter.)
- Also at 3:40 on Friday, Dr. Matthew Moulton from ISU will co-present "Applications for Practice: 2021 Middle Level Teacher Preparation Standards." On Saturday at 8 am, he will present "Writing for Publication."
- Brad Weinstein and Nathan Maynard will be the featured speakers at the general session on Saturday afternoon at 3:15 pm on "Hacking School Discipline."
Did You See? The Indiana Teacher of the Year is a Middle School Teacher!
Students (and Educators) Can Participate in #GratitudeSnaps
@WeVideo at the end. You might have your students use instagram or some other platform. They can share with their families at Thanksgiving.
High Priority ELA Standards for 6-8
20th Anniversary "CELLebration"
Heath's books are great examples of writings for the business world that have many applications to education as well.
In Indy on November 6?
COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF INDIANAPOLIS HOST COMMITTEE TO HONOR TEACHERS
Join them for College Football Day at The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis on Saturday, November 6 to celebrate teachers at the Sports Legends Experience. The 7.5-acre outdoor activation will be transformed to focus on all things football with games, giveaways, special appearances, and more! Limited quantity of free museum admission tickets are available for teachers (first come, first served, up to 4 per person) with additional teachers receiving discounted admission. Click here to learn more. Secure your tickets by calling 317-334-4000.
Special DonorsChoose Grant up to $3000
More Champions Together News
IMLEA partners with Special Olympics Indiana to promote Unified Champions. While the pandemic has limited activities, the Rocket League with Unified eSports begins this week, and Super Smash Bros. will start in January. If you are interested, you can email Tori Batson at Special Olympics, and she can add you to their list. We are hoping that more events, including athletics will continue to be added. You can see many examples on our webpage. And as always, if you are interested in trainings or getting started, contact Tori.
Organizing Your Documents and Resources
Byrne includes many examples that can inform your teaching, as well as build relationships with students and incorporating metacognition. (Buttons above and below both work.)
Some great tips for exploring the confusing world of middle school friendships. These could be good points for discussion in an advisory group. More and more research is showing the importance of students having at least one good, reliable friend.
Learning Opportunities (all times EDT-until Sunday!)
November 3: UIndy/CELL Celebration with Keynote Presentation by Dan Heath, 4 pm
*November 4: Flipgrid Event with poet Amanda Gorman and Loren Long, 1 pm
November 4: Monica Burns Session on Lumio, 3 pm
*November 4: Inside the Vault: Primary Documents on JFK's Assassination, 7 pm
November 4-7: AMLE Virtual Conference
November 5: Deadline to Apply for Special DonorsChoose grant (up to $3000)
November 6: Children's Museum Free Admission for Educators (see story above)
*November 6: Dinosaur Family Fun VIrtual Event, 1-3 pm
November 16: UIndy/CELL counselor webinar, "Devious Licks- Symptom of a bigger behavior issue?" Noon
November 16: Supporting Students During Independent Reading, 4:30 pm
November 16: "My Google Drive is a Mess," 7 pm
Please note: Webinars and events mentioned in this space are not an endorsement of commercial products; on the contrary, we try to avoid listing events that appear to be commercial in nature. Every effort is made to strip social media/tracking data from provided URLs. In many cases you can register and receive a recording later.