Term 2, Week 7, 15th June 2022
At Waipawa we value:
This roller coaster of a year continues. After a rough two weeks with our attendance, this week has been amazing - only 10% of our roll have been absent.
That's pretty unusual for this time of any year especially considering the illnesses surrounding us. The Ministry of Education has just released its attendance strategy to turn attendance rates around. I'm not sure about the timing, however, I imagine more responsibility will be put on schools to ensure all children's attendance sits around the 90% mark! When details finally emerge I'll share more with you.
Unfortunately, today is our worst day for teacher attendance - we have 5 away with illness. However, despite this, we have a plan for the day and we'll see how it goes!!
Matariki Celebrations next week. In 2021 we started our week of Matariki activities and we're really looking forward to building and improving on what we did last year. It's a great opportunity for us to do things differently for a part of the week and have children work with different groups and different staff on a wide range of fun and interesting activities related to Matariki.
Ngā mihi nui,
ATTENDING APPOINTMENTS DURING THE SCHOOL DAY
Digital Technology in class
Room 10 has also been exploring Gamefroot through the Get into Gaming programme. They are currently designing games about our local area.
HB Netball draw: https://www.hawkesbaynetball.co.nz/centralmeff
HB Miniball draw https://websites.mygameday.app/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3990-0-0-0&a=COMPS
Please make sure you check regularly as the draws can change at short notice.
I will put Sports draws up on the noticeboard at the school gate by lunchtime each Thursday.
Some action shots from last week's Netball
Year 8s visit to the HBCFCT - Sports Park
The completed tasks such as electric hands, tunnel run and a 15-step handshake that they had to memorise and show during the day.
Thanks to Whānau and Friends for making trips such as these possible for our tamariki.
Whānau & Friends (PTA)
Please return your completed orders to the school by NEXT MONDAY 20th June 2022.
Whānau & Friends June Newsletter was posted on HERO yesterday. If you would like a hard copy there is some hard copies in the school office.
The next fundraiser will be selling Yummy Pies.
Whānau & Friends next meeting is on Tuesday 21st June at 7.00pm at Skinny Mulligans, all welcome.
Apologies, last week due to illness we were unable to hold Breakfast Club on Thursday, we have now however had some more volunteers for backups. Thank you to Rachel and Kerry for stepping in when able.
CHB College 2023 Enrolments
CHB College are currently taking enrolment appointments for next year's Year 9 Students. It is important that enrolments are completed prior to students sitting the Entrance exam which is due to take place on Friday 11th November. (Further information on the entrance exam will be sent out to you nearer the time.)
Our website has the ability for Parents/Caregivers to complete an online enrolment. Once they have completed their online enrolment, they will be contacted by the College to book their enrolment appointment and complete their enrolment.
Please find link to our website below:
Money owed to school
Accounts for Uniform purchases are due at the time of purchase.
Technology Fees are charged per Term. These fees are $15.00 per student per Term. Term 1 fees are now overdue. Term 2 Technology fees accounts were sent out yesterday.
If you would like to setup a weekly/fortnightly payment scheme to school please make contact with Sue in the office.
- Fish & Chip Friday Rooms:- 8 to 12 (Week 7)
- Scholastic Bookclub closes 17th June (Week 7)
- Room 10 and 12 trip to MTG - Monday 20 June (Week 8)
- Room 3 and Kākano trip to Te Mata Peak - Monday 20 June (Week 8)
- Room 11 trip to MTG - Thursday 23 June (Week 8)
- Matariki Celebrations Friday 24th June (Week 8)
- Ki-o-rahi Tournament Yr 5-8 - Wednesday 28 June (Week 9)
- Room 4, 5, 6 Cycle Ride to Waipukurau - Wednesday 29 June (Week 9)
- Last Day term 2 Friday 8th July
Have you moved house?
Changed your phone number?
Changed your email address?
Want to delete or add a new contact?
Is there a new medical condition we need to know about?
Please email Sue at email@example.com to update your details or to check and see what details we have.
Waipawa School Term Dates 2022
Term 2: Monday 2nd May to Friday 8th July
Public Holidays: Queen's Birthday 6th June, Matariki 24th June
Term 3: Monday 25th July to Friday 30th September
Term 4: Monday 17 October to Friday 16th December
Public Holidays: HB Anniversary Day 21st October, Labour Day 24th October
Teacher Only Days:
Term 3: Friday 26 August
Term 4: Friday 18 November
STARTING SCHOOL : 4 Year Old Mornings
- We find 4 visits before starting school is usually sufficient. However, if your child requires more we would be in close communication with you.
- Whanau are welcome to stay for the first visit and leave when the child / parent feels comfortable. Subsequent visits we ask that parents be brave and leave so that the child experiences what school is like.
- Please pack a snack for brainfood (fruit, sandwich, muesli bar) and something for morning tea.
- Children can wear mufti clothing or school uniform if they have it available.
Please don't hesitate to pop in and see us if you have any questions or concerns.
Jess Stewart and Karena Finch
Matariki Games Night at the Faraday Museum
To celebrate our first Matariki public holiday, we are opening the museum up at night for a “Matariki Games Night”.
· Have a blast at the museum with your friends and family
· Beat your opponents while playing games from the past
· Hunt for clues while exploring our museum doing our Matariki scavenger Hunt
· Sign up to our newsletter on the night and go into the draw to win a cool prize
· Buy snacks and treats in our cool Museum store
Date: Friday, 24 June, 2022 (Matariki public holiday) from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Venue: Faraday Museum of Technology, 2b Faraday Street, Napier
Admission: $10 per adult / $5 per child
View on map https://goo.gl/maps/HRKssMSKQzhUy6tq5
Enquiry: 06 835 2338 / firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to you spending a night at the Museum.
Pure Sports & Leisure
Pure Sports & Leisure, Ruataniwha Street, Waipukurau will provide all Waipawa Students with a 10% discount off sports equipment & items. All you need to do is to inform them that you are from Waipawa School.
This as an incentive to get more kids outdoors & into sports.