Compass Family Update
January 16th, 2016
What's happening at Compass this week?
Monday, January 16, 2017
- Martin Luther King, Jr Day: School Closed
Tuesday, January 17th, 2017
- 8:15AM: Meet and Greet with Adjowah, new Tulip Co-Teacher (Community Room)
Wednesday, January 18th, 2017
- 8:20AM: Join us in the gym for Community Gathering
Thursday, January 19th, 2017
- 8:30AM-10:00AM: Prospective Family Tour
Friday, January 20th, 2017
- 9:00AM-10:00AM: Jazz and the Great Migration (Part two of our three part concert series from Jazz for Young People through Jazz at Lincoln Center). This is for second and third grade classes only and will take place in the auditorium.
- 3:00PM-3:45PM: Maple Class Reading Celebration
- Tulip Class (Third Grade) Field Visit to New York Historical Society
Tuesday, January 31st, 2017
- Vision Screenings for kindergarten and first grade students
From the Co-Directors
Meet and Greet with Adjowah, New Tulip Co-Teacher
This is a reminder that Tuesday morning, we will be hosting a meet and greet with Adjowah, our new Tulip co-teacher and Compass team member. Please come to the Community Room at 8:15 for an informal question and answer session with Adjowah. We are so excited for everyone to meet her. Coffee will be provided!
Kindergarten Applications for 2017-2018
If you have a child who will be entering kindergarten next fall, please apply online. Applications are due by April 1st, but it helps us to know how many siblings will be attending Compass next school year. We get a lot of questions from new families applying for kindergarten and we would like to be able to share an approximate number of open seats. Siblings of currently enrolled students receive priority in admission, but only if the application is completed by April 1st. We are looking forward to more siblings joining Compass in the fall. If you have questions, please let us know.
Accessing the Compass Public Calendar
The link to access our Compass Public Calendar has moved! Please bookmark this page to stay up to date with Compass events, school closings, and field trips.
*You will need to scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the calendar.
Department of Health staff will be on site on January 31st to do vision screenings for Kindergarten and 1st grades. You will receive a follow up letter only if your child fails the vision test.
Funds for Meals Eaten & Healthy School Fund
Please look out for emails and a letter backpacked home with updated amounts due for meals eaten at school and the Healthy School Fund (for November- December). When making electronic payment, please make sure to note your student's name and what you are paying for.
Reminder of Late Arrival Procedures
The arrival window every morning is 7:45- 8AM. Arrivals after 8AM are considered late. If you arrive between 8 and 9AM, you must sign in at the security desk and bring your child up to the 4th floor and to class. If you arrive after 9AM, please sign in at the Compass Main Office (room 431), get a late pass and bring your child and the late pass to the classroom. Signing in at the security desk/ Main Office ensures that the Main Office is able to adjust your child's official record to show that he/she was in fact present for the day.
Reminder of Early Pick Up Procedures
We understand that there will be occasions that you need to pick your child up from school early. If you need to pick your child up from school earlier than 3:45 (or 12:45 on Wednesdays), you must first sign him/her out by coming to the Compass Main Office (Room 431). Main Office staff will give you a pass to give to your child's teachers. Teachers will not release children in their room without seeing this pass!
Updates from the Studios
Music Update from Sara
Third grade is developing their harmony skills. Here is the Chestnut class singing Ah, Poor Bird in two parts.
Order Your School Pictures! Deadline for ordering is 2/28/17
School photos are ready for purchase! Thank you to Compass parent and photographer, Lucy Schaeffer, for donating her time to our School Photo Fundraiser.
You should have received an email with instructions for how to order photos. If you have questions about how to order, please email our Photo Volunteer, Alex, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Pictures are available for purchase through February 28th. Please place your orders by this date. Thanks!
Save the Date: FSC Winter Fling
Our Healthy School Fund: January
If you have not already contributed to the Healthy School Fund for September and October, please do so as soon as possible. We ask that you contribute $30 per child per month. Directions for payment are listed below. Please let us know if you have questions. If you need support in making contributions to the Healthy School Fund, please let us know and we will do our best to support you.
Various ways you can make payments to Compass (for the Healthy Snack Fund, t-shirts, school lunches) include:
- Mail or hand-deliver a Cash, Check, or Money Order to Todd or Chelsea (For the time being, please only give money to these two Compass employees. Haleema, our new Finance Manager, will be setting up a new process for receiving funds in the near future.)
- Venmo: username = compasscharter
- Square Cash = send your contribution to Todd’s work email address: email@example.com.
- Here are slightly sophisticated directions for how to setup an automatic payment through Square Cash if that helps you.
- Chase QuickPay = send your contribution to Todd’s work email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Chase's platform allows you to easily setup a recurring payment.
- Online: https://brooklyncompass.org/donate/
2016-2017 School Year Calendar
Click HERE to access our public Compass calendar.
*Please scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the calendar. We update this often with events such as field trips and FSC events for families.
Compass Charter School
Follow us on Instagram @brooklyn_compass
Feel free to reach out anytime with questions or to catch up. Our contact info is listed below.
Brooke Peters, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction
718-310-3588, extension 503
Michelle Healy, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction
718-310-3588, extension 504
Todd Sutler, Co-Director of Strategic Development
718-310-3588, extension 501