Everything Student Development - January/February 2016
In the world of academic advising
Important Dates to Keep in Mind
- Financial Aid Balance Disbursement for First-Time Loan Borrowers - If you are a freshman-level student who has not previously received Direct Loans, your Direct Loan funds will be disbursed on this date - as long as you have accepted your loans in WebAdvisor and completed your Master Promissory Note and completed Loan Entrance Counseling at studentloans.gov.
- Last Day for Student-Initiated Withdrawals from First 8-Week Classes - After this date, students cannot withdraw themselves from classes. Learn more about how to drop a class.
Happy 2016 to all! Career Services is excited to jump in again and continue providing career guidance, networking opportunities, and top-of-the-line service for our students!
Looking ahead this semester, Career Services is excited to announce their participation in two career fairs this Spring semester! The first is the 2016 McLennan Career Fair, built on our partnership with the University Center, and will be held on our campus on Wednesday, April 6th from 10:00AM until 2:00PM. Career Services will also continue to partner with the Greater Waco Chamber of Commerce to participate in the annual Work in Waco Job Expo, held this year on Thursday, April 14th from 1:00PM until 4:30PM.
Please don’t hesitate in contacting Tina Lyles for additional information on the Career Fairs.
Thank you in advance for your help in promoting these two events!
Career Services will also continue to do their one-on-one career appointments (including assessments, career coaching, resume and cover letter critiques, and interview preparation). While most of their energy is dedicated to the Career Fairs nearing the end of the semester, they are also continuing to receive workshop and class presentation requests. If you hear any requests for a Career Services presentation or workshop, please send the request their way!
Finally, please see the following list for additional, upcoming Career Services Events.
Upcoming Career Services Events:
- Tuesday, February 2nd, 3:00PM—Professionalism Presentation, Diane Schmaus
- Friday, February 12th, 3:00PM—Trio Workshop, Monica Burmicky
- Friday, February 25th, 11:00AM—SEP Workshop, Lizette LaStrape
- Wednesday, April 6th, 10:00AM—MCC-UC Career Fair, Tina Lyles
- Thursday, April 14th, 1:00PM—Work in Waco Job Expo, Chamber of Commerce
- Tuesday, April 19th, 11:00AM-Advising and Career Services Presentation, Laura Lalani
- Thursday, April 21st, 9:35AM-Advising and Career Services Presentation, Laura Lalani
New this semester, the first test will be at 8:30 am (instead of 8:00 am) Monday-Thursday. Doors will open at 8:00 am, but testing will start at 8:30 am. This is reflected for all tests on RegisterBlast.
Upcoming Testing Dates
- The TSI Assessment is offered Monday – Thursday between 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and Fridays from 10:00 am-12:00 pm on a scheduled or walk-in basis.
- The HESI will be offered February 2nd and 16th at 12:00 p.m.
- The TEAS will be offered February 11th and 18th at 12:00 p.m.
Instructors may send students to take exams. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 299-8453 to make arrangements for your students to test.
Instructional Testing information for Students:
Instructional testing offered Monday-Thursday from 8:30 am-6:30 pm for students on a walk in and scheduling basis.
If you need to take an instructional exam for an instructor in the Testing Center, please make sure you do the following:
- Students are welcome to schedule an appointment online. Click on Register Blast button on left-hand menu. Choose MCC Classrooms exams. Follow prompts to complete your registration process.
- Make sure and bring you photo id with you come to test.
- Bring only the items that you need to complete your test on the testing day.
Cell phones are not permitted in the testing room.
The TSI Assessment is an untimed test offered every Monday-Thursday from 8:30 am-4:00 pm and Fridays from 10:00 am-12:00 pm for both walk-in and scheduled appointments.
Student may schedule appointment times and pay testing fee online through Register
Blast button from left-hand side. Fees may be paid in MCC Business Office. Please bring receipt to Testing Center on test day.
All students must complete the pre-assessment activity (PAA) using MCC ID number prior to taking TSI Assessment.
Other forms of testing
- The CLEP hours are Monday - Thursday at 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. and Fridays 11:00 a.m., and 2:00 p.m.
- Correspondence tests can be proctored for students attending other colleges
- See posted schedule for Health Sciences exams (TEAS & HESI.)
- National SAT & ACT tests are Saturday administrations.
Student Services Center, Second Floor • 254-299-8453
Hours: Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.; Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
TRIO Student Support Services NEWS
- TRIO SSS had 19 students attend NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION last Friday! The students received a ton of information and were welcomed to the TRIO family!
- TRIO is NOT accepting any more applications, as the program will more than likely be FULL for the rest of the semester. They will start accepting applications for the Fall 2016 semester in mid to late April.
- TRIO has started the Grant Aid process, in which funds are given to TRIO students that have met specific program requirements. Students must apply and interview for this scholarship. This year TRIO hopes to award 33 students with the Grant Aid!
- You may start seeing TRIO SSS shirts around campus, TRIO Scholars Association raised over $3,000 working at the McLane Stadium last Fall and made enough (along with a generous donation from the Foundation) to get all TRIO students shirts!
- A program proposal has been ACCEPTED to present about the TRIO Peer Mentor Program at the NISOD conference in Austin in late May.
TRIO SSS Dates to Remember
- Jan 27th- Completion Center & TRIO SSS Training on Academic Coaching
- Jan 27th- First TRIO SSS Workshop of 2016 on “Developing a Solid Study Plan”
- Feb 5th- Cultural Event to Mayborn Museum
- Feb 12th- Ms. Johnnie Talton’s Retirement Party
- Feb 18th- Transfer Thursday
- Feb 19th- College Tour to TAMU
- Feb 23rd- PD Conference at UT Austin
- Feb 26th- Cultural Event to bake bread at Gourmet Gallery
FIRST PERSON TO SOLVE THE BELOW PUZZLE RECEIVES A $5 SONIC GIFT CARD!
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again." -W. E. Hickson
Completion Center News
SUPPORT & EMPOWERMENT PROGRAM
Lizette has officially begun the role of SEP Success Coach and program coordinator, and Becky is now a part-time SEP Coach…. Woohoo!!!
Becky’s new work hours are Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday from 8:00AM – 3:00PM
SEP is still accepting applications for the Spring 2016 semester. If anyone comes across a single parent student on campus, please send them to Lizette or Becky for more information on eligibility requirements and the application process. We are happy to talk to students throughout the semester about participation in our program.
- SEP meetings will begin the week of Feb. 1st and continue through the 17th.
- SEP will be offering the following four Workshops to SEP participants in February: Assertion Skills, Yoga, Time Management, and Soft Skills
- SEP will be more than happy to speak to different classes or groups throughout the semester about the services that they provide. If anyone has an interest please contact Lizette LaStrape at 299-8600.
More information about SEP can be found on the SEP Website.
SEP Success Coach
SEP Success Coach
Update - How are we measuring up after one semester?
Provide career and educational advising to at least 95% of the selected cohort each year from 2015-16 to 2018-19.
- All active Project Link students received career and educational advising during the Fall 2015 semester.
The four-year graduation rate of the selected cohort will be at least 95% by 2019.
- After Fall 2015, all Project Link students are on track to graduate. However, this could change by the end of the academic year.
The percentage of seniors from the selected cohort who successfully complete the FAFSA or TASFA will be 100% by 2019.
- After Fall 2015, the number of seniors who had completed the FAFSA/TASFA was 0%. (Students have the opportunity to begin completing some sections of their 2016-2017 application and to obtain EFC estimates, but will not be able to complete their 2016-2017 application until after their parents have completed their taxes.)
The percentage of seniors from the selected cohort who apply for college using Apply Texas (or other applications) will be 100% by 2019.
- La Vega – 99% of Project Link seniors have completed at least one application for admissions through ApplyTexas. *6 students have completed TSTC application
- University – 100% of Project Link seniors have completed at least one application for admissions through ApplyTexas. *14 students have completed TSTC application
- Other college/universities applied to are: Abilene Christian University, Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts, Austin College, Austin Community College, Baylor University, Houston Baptist University, Houston Community College, Irvine Community College, Midwestern State University, Prairie View A&M University, Sam Houston State University, San Angelo State University, San Antonio College, Tarleton State University, Texas A&M University at Commerce, Texas A&M University at Corpus Christi, Texas Christian University, Texas Southern University, Texas State University, Texas Tech University, Texas Women’s University, Tyler Junior College, University Mary Hardin-Baylor, University of California LA, University of Houston, University of North Texas, University of Texas, University of Texas at San Antonio, University Texas at Arlington.
The percentage of seniors from the selected cohort who complete a MAC Grant application will be 100% by 2019.
- After Fall 2015, the number of Project Link seniors who had completed the MAC Grant application was 0%. (Students have the opportunity to begin completing their 2016-2017 MAC Grant application by using their estimated EFC on their started 2016-2017 FAFSA application, but are unable to complete/submit their MAC Grant application for consideration until after their parents have completed their taxes, and their FAFSA application has been completed.)
- Mrs. Stabeno, Waco Foundation’s Director or Scholarships & MAC Program will be visiting La Vega and University throughout the spring semester to help students with completing their FAFSA or TASFA and their MAC Grant application.
- La Vega – 84% of seniors have completed at least one other grant or scholarship application.
- University – 93% of seniors have completed at least one other grant or scholarship application.
- Other grants & scholarships applied for: AJ Moore Business Advisory Board Scholarship, Brazos Education Foundation, Buick Achievers, Coca-Cola Scholarship, Dell Scholarship, Gates Millennium Scholars, GI Bill, Hazelwood, Kiwanis Scholarship, Ron Brown Scholarship, ROTC, VFW Voice, Waco Public Schools Alumni Association.
The number of graduates from the selected cohort immediately matriculating into post-secondary education will be 60% by 2019.
- Unable to measure at this time.
The percentage of matriculants from the selected cohort who return for their 3rd term (2nd year) will be 75% by 2019.
- Unable to measure at this time.
The percentage of matriculants from the selected cohort completing a certificate or degree program at MCC and TSTC within 150% of expected time will be 25% by 2019.
- Unable to measure at this time.