SUMMER EDITION - JULY 2019
SHOW YOUR TRUE COLORS! ~ MUESTRA LO MEJOR DE TI
The 2019-20 school-wide theme for Olson will promote these positive character traits. We will encourage students and staff to be authentic in their words and actions, always mindful of the value of a positive, respectful attitude toward self and others.
NEW OLSON STAFF 2019 - 2020
- PE - Mr. Jay Fuller comes to us from Dean Street Elementary. Mr. Fuller has been a D200 PE teacher for many years and we look forward to his enthusiasm, energy, and positive support for students and staff.
- Interventionist - Mrs. Valerie Sass also comes to us from Dean where she was a dual language 2nd grade teacher. She will be our new 1st - 5th grade Interventionist, working with students and staff at all grade levels to support literacy instruction. She will also facilitate the 2nd grade "Everyone Reads" after school program. Welcome Mrs. Sass!
- 3rd Grade Spanish Dual - Mr. Ivan Cisneros comes to Olson this fall from Prairiewood Elementary where he was a 2nd grade dual teacher. Mr. Cisneros will partner with Mrs. Doyle in 3rd grade. He brings experience in dual language and he's excited to join our team!
- LBS/Special Ed Resource Teacher - Karen McPheron joins us at Olson in a Special Education position. Most of her work will be with 3rd - 5th graders. Mrs. McPheron was a Special Education teacher at Verda Dierzen for the past 8 years and we are very happy to have her with us at Olson.
- Instructional Coach - Mrs. Jen Malecke will be the Instructional Coach for Olson next year. We will share her with Prairiewood. Mrs. Malecke has been a D200 teacher for many years, most recently at Prairiewood. She'll work with teachers and students at all grade levels to implement effective strategies for literacy and math. She'll also support tech integration.
We are very excited to have these new staff members joining our incredible Olson team!
HAVE YOU REGISTERED YOUR CHILD FOR 2019-20?
If you haven't registered your child for school, please do so as soon as possible. If you need assistance, call the District Office for more information. Placement at Olson (or other schools) after the spring deadline is dependent on transportation, class size, and program availability.
CHALLENGER CENTER MOVES TO OLSON
D200 and Olson Elementary are excited to welcome the
Challenger Learning Center in the fall of 2019!
Work has begun to transform existing spaces into a new learning center that will provide amazing opportunities for district students and staff as well as welcoming students from other districts. The Challenger Center will continue to provide STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) education, space-themed simulated learning, and hands-on problem solving experiences.
We have relocated music and art into spaces that will continue to support the strong programs at Olson. Band and Orchestra will share a different space across the hallway that will work well for students and teachers. Kids Club will continue to use the cafeteria and gym, and we've utilized classroom spaces as needed for a Book Room and for one of our Special Education programs. A district document storage room will also be used to provide a wonderful STEM/Makers Space for the Challenger Center program.
Watch for special events this fall as we celebrate the opportunities this brings for D200!