Our Town Happenings Week #32
Reagan Elementary :: Leander Independent School District
Week of May 2 - 6, 2016
WELCOME TO 4TH GRADE!
Weekly newsletters may also be found archived on our class website under the "Weekly Newsletters" page. Questions and/or comments? Please let us know!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- revising & editing review
- Texas is Annexed - continued
- math skills review
- reading skills review
- Core Word Review - Sitton List 25 - 27
- animal adaptations continued
- vocab quiz #1 REDO - Tuesday, May 3rd
OUR CURRENT WEEK
- Orange Specials Day (Beasley/Art, LaCombe/PE)
- Book Fair open in library - 2:45 - 3:30 pm
- Yellow Specials Day - (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Performing Arts)
- Schoolyard Ecology Quiz #1 REDO (only for students who originally scored in the 60s or 70s)
- Book Fair open in library - 7:45 - 6:00 (FAMILY NIGHT!)
- Green Specials Day (Beasley/Performing Arts, LaCombe/PE)
- Book Fair open in library - 7:45 - 3:30
- Blue Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Library)
- Book Fair open in library - 7:45 - 3:30
- Purple Specials Day (Beasley/Library, LaCombe/PE)
- Sitton Spell Check - List 25/26/27 (Core Words ONLY)
- Book Fair open in library - 7:45 - 12:00 - NOTE EARLY CLOSING TIME
- Fun Friday in 4th - Dress like a STAR! (optional; school dress code still applies)
- Reading Log: 100 minutes (in Google Classroom account); due Sunday 5/8
- STAAR Math Book - students marked required lessons in class on Monday
- Core Word Spell Check (Lists 25/26/27) on Friday 5/6
- Students receiving a vocab quiz 1 in the 70s may / in the 60s must redo the quiz this Tuesday, May 3. To review vocab, they may use the flash cards they made in class, or practice online via Quizlet (linked below).
- Vocab Quiz #2 will be given on Friday, May 13th. Students made flash cards to study from in class, and may also review the words online via the link below (also found in Google Classroom Science Class).
READING & MATH STAAR TESTING - NEXT WEEK - MAY 9th & 10th
As with the writing STAAR test in March, we will be sending home notecards for you to write a note of encouragement to your child. It's a great way to help them smile before beginning the testing process! Please return the notecards by this Friday, May 6th. Thanks for your help!
FAMOUS TEXAN RESEARCH PROJECT
IT'S RESEARCH TIME!!
With our Math STAAR and Reading STAAR on the horizon next week, we'll be taking a break from our Famous Texan research project both this week and next. We will send home poster board after STAAR next week so that students may begin their museum displays, and begin working on our slides presentations at school the week of May 16th.
For additional details and more specific dates, see the newsletter linked below.
LIVING MUSEUM DAY PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE
- 10:00 - 11:00 - Flores, Eddy, & Weltzin homerooms perform
- 11:00 - 12:00 - Beasley & LaCombe homerooms perform
- 1:30 - 2:30 - Lau & Heim homerooms perform
We would love to see you on Living Museum day! Feel free to come and support your little Davy Crockett, Bessie Coleman, or Ladybird Johnson if you are able. Performances will occur as scheduled above and will be upstairs in the 4th grade neighborhood.
A few reminders -
- Poster board for the museum displays will be sent home Wednesday, May 11th. If students would like to use something other than the white posterboard we provide, they are welcome to.
- While students are expected to dress as much like their Texan as possible on museum day, it is not our intent for you to purchase items specifically for this purpose. Let us know if you have any questions.
- A one minute video of last year's Living Museum can be found below if you would like to see what the event has been like in the past.
SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR - THIS WEEK, MAY 2 - 6
- Monday, 5/2 - 2:45 pm - 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, 5/3 - 7:45 am - 6:00 pm (FAMILY NIGHT)
- Wednesday, 5/4 - 7:45 am - 3:30 pm
- Thursday, 5/5 - 7:45 am - 3:30 pm
- Friday, 5/6 - 7:45 am - 12:00 pm
END OF THE YEAR PE EVENTS - MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
- 8:00-10:00 2nd, 3rd
- 10:15-12:15 K,1st
- 12:30-2:30 4th,5th
In addition to the school-wide field day stations, the older grades will be participating in a tug-of-war. Start times for tug of war are as follows:
- 8:30 - 5th grade
- 9:30 - 4th grade
- 10:30 or 10:45 - 3rd grade
Our 4th and 5th grade annual track meet will be held at Vista Ridge High School on Friday, May 20th. This is a highly anticipated event that the students look forward to every year. Again, be on the lookout for more details.
Volunteers will be needed to help make both events a success, so consider sharing your time if you're able on one or both of those days!
UPCOMING DATES - UPDATED THROUGH THE END OF THE YEAR!!
- Monday 5/2 - Friday 5/6 - Book Fair in Library
- Wednesday 5/4 - progress reports sent home ONLY for students with a grade >70% in any subject
- Friday 5/6 - Fun First Friday in 4th Grade - Dress like a STAR! (music, sport, TV - school dress code compliant, please :)
- Monday 5/9 - 3rd & 4th Grade STAAR Math Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Tuesday 5/10 - 3rd & 4th Grade STAAR Reading Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Friday 5/13 - School-wide Field Day - more details to come!
- Monday 5/24 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Friday 5/20 - 4th/5th grade Track Meet at Vista Ridge HS - MORE DETAILS TO COME
- Friday 5/27 - Famous Texan Living Museum - SEE ABOVE FOR PERFORMANCE TIMES
- Monday 5/30 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- 4th 9 weeks - report cards sent home
- Last Day of School - Have a GREAT summer!
OUR WEEK IN PICTURES
CHECK POLICY FOR LUNCH PAYMENTS
HELPFUL LINKS FOR PARENTS
CURIOUS AS TO WHAT WE DO ALL DAY?
Weekly memos will be sent via email as well. If your address changes, please let us know so we can keep our records current.