Tech Time Newsletter
September 22, 2015
- Kinderdogs will be off this week, see you Tuesday, September 29!
- First grade will save their Power Point to the Resource Drive and begin Internet Safety lesson.
- Second grade will finish their All About Me Posters and begin Architecture and Geography Unit.
- Third grade will finish their All About Me Journal and begin Internet Safety lesson.
- Fourth grade will finish their Journal entry.
- Fifth grade will finish their Journal entry and create a folder cover in Publisher.
What is Teaching Channel?
It is a nonprofit video showcase -- on the Internet and TV -- of inspiring and effective teaching practices in America's schools. Teaching Channel has received seed funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as well as the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation. It is a free resource for all teachers.
This year, one of my goals is to teach students to believe they can complete the assignment without crying! As I was searching on Teaching Channel I came across the video titled, “Encouraging Students to Persist Through Challenges”. The teacher, Maricela Montoy-Wilson, modeled a math lesson with second graders. She used seven tips to support her students in their work:
•Assign challenging work.
• Normalize and talk about struggle.
• Encourage students to ask for advice when they’re stuck.
• Encourage students to articulate their thinking process.
• Encourage students to ask each other questions.
• Help students reflect on the learning process.
• Encourage struggle with wait-time.
• Frame struggle as part of learning and growing.
Last week, I began stopping classes a few minutes earlier to reflect on the learning process and share struggles and successes. This self-reflection has already resulted in positive sharing and feelings in these classes.
Check out Teaching Channel for great lesson plan ideas, teaching practices, and collaboration.