Hoover Elementary School
Staff E-Blast 05.29.2016
Thank you for your willingness to collaborate and provide valuable feedback during our vertical team meetings and when completing your student profile forms. Our students are so fortunate to have teachers like you who can work together productively and positively to discuss ways to help support their success!
WEEK AT A GLANCE
Monday, May 30
- No School: Memorial Day Holiday
Tuesday, May 31
- Faculty Meeting: 8:00AM in Library (CANCELLED)
- Grade 5 Field Trip: JMS Visit
- Spring Sing Performance: 2:30PM in the Gym
Wednesday, June 1
- Last Day of Library Classes
- Grade 5 Field Trip: Lutherlyn
Thursday, June 2
- Grade 5 Field Trip: Lutherlyn
- Instrument Tryout: Grades 2-3 (See Outlook Invite for scheduled time)
Friday, June 3
- Hoover Field Day: Grades 1-3 in AM and Grades 4-5 in PM
- Kindergarten Cafeteria Presentation: 11:00AM and 1:15PM
Saturday, June 4
- Hoover PTA's A Run Through the Woods 5K: 9:00AM
Faculty Meeting Cancelled
End of Year PDC Meetings/SLOs
I have placed holds for available appointments on my calendar. Please work with Cheryl to choose an appointment that will work for your schedule. I look forward to sitting down together with each of you individually, as we wrap up a terrific year!
MLFE Teacher Representative
After many dedicated years of service, Christina Contes is stepping down from her leadership role on the Mt. Lebanon Foundation for Education board of directors. We are thankful for the hours of time she committed to benefit teachers and represent the elementary program on this committee, which provides funds directly to teachers supporting innovative teaching and learning.
The MLFE is looking for at least one teacher to replace Christina on the board. The time commitment is typically one meeting per month (evening- approximately 1 hour) and some other volunteer opportunities (ie Taste of Lebo, School Board Meetings.)
If you are interested in this role and would like to learn more, please feel free to reach out to Christina or me. Thanks!
Hoover PTA 5K
Hoover Spring Sing
We will gather in the Gym on Tuesday at 2:30 for the Spring Sing performance. The event is estimated to last 45 minutes. It may be beneficial to have your students pack up for dismissal prior to arriving for the show.
Field Trip Reminder
With field trip season upon us, please keep the following important logistical items in mind:
- Remember to keep the Health Office informed of the date and time that you will be out of the building, so that they can prepare medications.
- Be sure to confirm that all parent chaperones have the appropriate clearances (PA Criminal History, Child Abuse, and FBI Fingerprinting/10-Year Resident Affidavit) on file with the school district at least five (5) days in advance of your trip.
- Before boarding the bus, please leave a copy of the permission forms in the Main Office.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to see me. Thanks!
ROTATING DUTY SCHEDULE
Attendance: Please be careful when entering your attendance in the morning and after lunch. We need to be sure that we are marking absences for the correct student(s). With the new Safe Walk system, families receive automated phone calls to confirm absences. We want to make every effort to avoid these calls going to families in error.
Arrival: Please remember to collect your students from the blacktop, no later than 8:28AM. It is important to be timely, as our aides and teachers on duty need to be in their classrooms by 8:30AM as well. Thanks for your cooperation!
Duty: Please remember to work together to ensure that your designated responsibilities are covered, in the event that you cannot be there. This includes lunch duty, recess duty, pick-up or drop-off, dismissals from school, entrance into school, Go-Zone, etc. Please communicate with each other when things come up on your personal schedule that are unplanned. Otherwise, please make sure you are on time for your scheduled duty responsibilities. Please see me if you have questions or concerns.
Playground Rules: Please remind students of the playground rules and expectations below. Please be attentive to dangerous games or behavior. Also, please be alert to any visible hazards and report them to the office.
Playground Rules and Expectations
Keep your Hands, Feet and Body to Yourself
Be Kind to Others, Play Fairly and Include Others
Use Equipment Safely
Play in Safe Areas
Copying: Please try, as much as possible, to do ALL copying in house
Personal Days: Please remember that I can only approve a given number of personal days per day in the building. Personal days are requested through AESOP, verified with Cheryl, and then approved.
Outdoor Recess: Please help to escort students to the playground and wait for the monitors to arrive. For the safety of our students, it is critical that they are not left unattended on the playground. Monitors, please make every effort to get to your posts as quickly as possible.
Keys: Please remember to leave the key to your classroom in your mailbox before leaving for the day, so that we can access your room in the event that you are not able to return the following day.
Announcements: If you have any staff news or announcements, and would like to share, please email me. I will place it in our next e-blast.
Maintenance Work Orders
Please continue to complete maintenance requests using the Work Order system on your MTLSD Homepage. If Gary cannot resolve the issue in-house, he will request support from central facilities. You will receive an email when the request is complete.
Behavior Management Resources
The Student Services Department created this Google site, which outlines Tier I and Tier II positive behavior interventions and supports (PBIS). These resources can be used by staff to help support students in the classroom.
This site provides a number of suggested interventions for behaviors students may present in the classroom, along with useful tools for tracking data.
This folder contains resources for teachers who have academic and/or other concerns about a particular student. You will find suggestions for Tier I interventions that can be used by teachers to support students in the classroom. Please be sure to contact families regarding your concerns.
Should students continue to have difficulty, even after introducing Tier I interventions, please contact Mary Perz to initiate the IST process. The flowchart below outlines the steps of the IST process.
Clicking on the flowchart to the right to view in larger size.
Technology for the Classroom
Animoto is an easy to navigate video maker that produces original videos from photos, video clips, and music. Available on the web or as an app for your smart phone, Animoto guides users through a simple, step-by-step process to create impressive multimedia presentations. Educators can now apply for a FREE Pro Level Account, allowing access to many additional features!
Remind101 provides a safe way for teachers to text message students and stay in touch with parents. It is 100% free and is used by over 200,000 teachers, students and parents to send millions of messages every month. Leverage the convenience and reach of communicating via text message, without breaking personal boundaries.
- Message your entire class of students or parents in seconds.
- Teachers never share their phone numbers, or collect the numbers of their students/ parents.
- Students and parents join by sending a text message. No computer needed.
- Unlimited subscribers * Unlimited text messages
- 100% free
- No ads, ever!
Monday, June 6
- Grade 1 Field Trip: Zoo
- Grade 4 Wax Museum
Tuesday, June 7
- Grade 5 Musical (Staff and Students): 9:00AM in the Gym
- Grade 5 Musical (5th Grade Parents Welcome): 1:15PM in the Gym
- Grade 5 Farewell Reception (5th Grade Parents Welcome): 2:15PM in the Cafeteria
Wednesday, June 8
- Mt. Lebanon Public Library Summer Program Assembly (K-5): 1:10PM in Gym
Thursday, June 9
- Last Day of School for PM Kindergarten
Friday, June 10
- Last Day of School for Students (K-5): 11:15PM Dismissal for Kindergarten; 12:00PM Dismissal for Grades 1-5
- Grade 5 Clap Out: 11:45AM