Mrs. McEachern's Message
April 7, 2014
What's Happening in First Grade?
Reading - The students will read the story Follow a River. We will be working on the following skills this week:
- dipthongs - ou/ow
- Use a graphic organizer as a tool to write facts.
- Use a desciption wheel to take notes and write a summary from Follow a River.
Writing - April is national poetry month. The students will be reading and writing various types of poems during the mont of April.
Spelling List 19
Science - Matter
Students will identify and explore the properties of matter (solid, liquid, and gas)
Math - Unit 8 - The following math skills will be taught this week:
- Place Value: Hundreds, Tens, and Ones
- Number Stories: Solve number stories using addition and subtraction.
- Making change: Strategies for making change.
- Equal Shares- Dividing objects into equal parts.
- April 7th - Portfolio and Reflection sheet come home for your review
- April 8th - Students visit art mobile
- April 9th - Return Portfolio and Reflection Sheet to school
- April 9th - Scholastic Book orders due online
- April 14th, 15th, 16th - Before/After school portfolio conferences
- April 17th - Student Early dismissal - (11:45)
- April 17th - Portfolio Conferences (12:40 - 8:00)
- April 30th - Field Trip to Graeme Park ( different than upcoming events paper that came home!)
Monday - Library - Return library books
Tuesday- Gym - Wear Sneakers
Wednesday - Art
Friday - Computers
*THURSDAY- SCHOOL STORE OPEN BEFORE SCHOOL
*If weather permits the students will be going outside for recess. Please dress your child appropriately for outside play!
100 BOOK CHALLENGE
Just a reminder to log any book your child reads on their pink Reading log paper. Please return as they complete each sheet. When they have completed their 100 books return the log to school. Your child will be recognized for reading 100 books with their pictured displayed on the First Grade Reading Challenge bulletin board.
Scholastic Book Order
If you are interested in placing book order for your child please click on the link below. I will be placing the order on Wednesday, April 9th. Our class code is MF2R4.
If you would like to sign up to volunteer to assist the students with their reading skills please sign up using the link below.
Now that our "Star of the Week" for each student has been completed, I would like to start a new activity in our classroom. Each week we will have the opportunity to have a "mystery reader" come read to our class. The mystery reader will be a surprise to the students until the person comes to the classrrom. They will give me 3 clues about themselves prior to the day they are to read and I will give the class the clues throughout the day leading up to their arrival. The mystery person brings a book to read and can even come in character or bring props to help enhance the story! If you or another family member (grandparent, aunt, uncle, or sibling) are interested and would like to be a "mystery reader" in our class please see the available dates on the sign up genius link below.