Garfield School Family Bulletin
May 9th, 2020
Garfield Family Corner
Good afternoon, Garfield families,
Oh behalf of the Garfield team, we hope our families are doing well and are staying safe during the school closure. To continue to support students with technology, Garfield will be hosting another technology pick up on Monday, May 11th from 1:30p-3:30p. This pick up is for families that have not already received technology or need to trade in their laptop due to technical problems. The pick up will take place in the back of the school off of 143rd. Please wait outside and enter through the back door to the gym. Staff members will be outside to assist. At this time, the district has received the hotspots and are preparing them for families; however, Garfield's hotspots have not been delivered to the school. I'll continue to keep families that requested devices updated.
To preview the forms, please click below:
- Agreement Form
- Internet Safety Checklist
- Family Reference Guides (multiple languages): This document will explain how to login to the devices, setup internet, etc.
Throughout this bulletin are updates including the updated Garfield Connection Calendar, at home learning resources, food pick up information, census updates, our parent tips and lastly, pictures from the Garfield Family Parade! Thank you to everyone who showed up to support our school!
Sincerely missing each of you,
Questions & Answers:
- When will enrollment begin? We're waiting on the final details regarding enrollment and will follow up as soon as we have more information.
- When can I come to the school to pick up my child's personal belongings? This upcoming week, a family pick up plan will be created allowing parents to visit Garfield to pick up student items. Keep a look out for an update via email and Facebook.
- Did the Zoom passwords for the Garfield Home Connection change? Yes, last week we updated these passwords. If you didn't receive the update, please contact your child's teacher.
- Will my child receive a 4th quarter report card? Yes and those details are being worked out.
- What is happening next school year? This is an ongoing discussion between the school district and the state. Once more information is provided, families will be updated.
- Is anything being planned for kindergarten and 8th grade promotion? Absolutely and more information will be provided soon.
At Home Learning Resources
- We update our Facebook page daily with enrichment opportunities and more: Click here.
- Updated: May 6th - May 11th CMSD Learning Enrichment Resources: Click here.
- Updated: CMSD Covid-10 Resources: Click here.
- Occupational and Physical Therapy Resources: Click here.
- Free daily Math and Reading videos aligned to our curriculum: Click here.
- Access free dance lessons for kids: Click here.
- For daily, online art challenges: Click here.
Garfield Food Services & Materials Pick Up
- Update: We do have 1st-5th grade curriculum boxes available.
The 2020 Census is getting under way, and everyone’s participation is needed -- for the good of Cleveland’s schools and the region. The Cleveland area is one of the most undercounted for young children in the nation, second only to Chicago. Undercounting can reduce the federal funding that comes into the District for critical purposes. Please click here for important 2020 Census information!
Parent Tip of the Week: Parenting During Coronavirus, You Are Enough
The expectations for being “perfect” during quarantine can add up. The best thing we can do right now is give ourselves what our friends offer us so willingly — the reminder that we are enough. That means you’re allowed to go a full day without a science experiment. You get to skip sentences while reading (super long) children’s books. You can hide the finger paint or tell your child that it dried up.
To read the rest of the article, click here.
The Garfield Parade!
It was incredible seeing the hundreds of students, parents, grandparents, family and friends coming out of their homes, holding up signs and celebrating our community! #GarfieldStrong #JAGEaglesSoar