August 29, 2020 - Issue 37
Dear Evergreen Elementary Families,
We are so proud of everyone's efforts in getting this school year up and running with Distance Learning. Our Bobcat community of staff, students, and families is doing a phenomenal job of providing and reinforcing learning opportunities.
We know that this model of school is not without its challenges. With that being said, please remember that we don’t expect you to be your child’s teacher... that is the teacher's responsibility! The best way that families can support students is setting up a positive home learning environment including:
- Provide a space for your child to learn and keep their materials
- Help them set their schedule for the day and week, and set timers as needed to remind them about live meetings
- Ask your student about their assignment completion and talk to them about what they are learning
- Have them show you their Google/Seesaw classroom assignments
- Communicate with your child's teacher if they are struggling with a concept or need additional support in any area
We are here to support your family and have tried to create engaging, high quality, positive teaching and learning opportunities at Evergreen despite the challenges that COVID-19 has brought.
School Schedules and District Reopening Plan
We appreciate your patience regarding school schedules. CRPUSD has finalized the daily schedules for all students. These schedules were created in partnership with district and site leadership, our teacher's union, and parents. If you have any questions at all regarding the schedules, expectations for your child's participation, etc., please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is some information directly from our COVID-19 Reopening Schools Plan:
- All students will experience both direct/interactive instruction (synchronous) and independent learning (asynchronous) during school work.
- The instructional minute requirement for our students is as follows: Transitional Kindergarten/Kindergarten = 180 minutes. Grades 1-3 = 230 minutes. Grades 4-12 = 240 minutes.
- Students will be expected to attend their online courses regularly as attendance is compulsory. Daily attendance will be taken and assignment completion is mandatory. Students will receive grades for their academic work.
- Classroom instruction will provide whole group, small group, and individual student support.
- Teachers and students in grades TK-1 will utilize the Seesaw platform and teachers and students in grades 2-12 will utilize the Google platform for online learning.
- Teachers will be available for office hours and will respond to student and parent concerns or questions regularly.
- Daily attendance will be taken.
- Attendance for distance learning is calculated by the following: 1. Daily live interaction with a teacher or virtual assignments 2. Evidence of participation in online activities 3. Completion of regular assignments 4. Completion of assessments 5. Contacts between any staff member and a student or their parent/guardian Daily live interaction, particularly live classes, is required for every student.
- One way communication, including voicemails, emails, or print materials, is not considered a live interaction.
The COVID-19 Reopening Schools plans are linked below, in both English and Spanish. Elementary school schedules are also linked below.
We are only able to provide hotspots for families that do not have internet connectivity. If you do not have internet at home and your child qualifies for free/reduced lunch, please visit www.internetessentials.com or click on the button below.
All Evergreen students (except TK students and some of our SDC students) will be taking easyCBM assessments in the areas of Language Arts and Math during the month of September. All elementary and middle school students in CRPUSD will take these assessments. Their purpose is to provide teachers and our district with data on how our students are performing, and areas that we need to reteach. These assessments are not graded or tied to your child's report card. Please do not help your child with these assessments, as this will not provide an accurate picture of their current academic levels. Just encourage them to do their personal best!
Some assessments will be linked through your Seesaw or Google Classroom, and will be assigned by your classroom teacher. These independent assessments will be accessed through the easyCBM website via Rapid Identity. Your teacher will notify parents exactly which assessments to take. They will also provide written directions and video instructions on how to login. Please don't attempt to start these until you receive direction from your child's teacher.
Other easyCBM assessments require 1:1 administration. Our Learning Center staff will be administering these live assessments with your child via Google Meet. Your classroom teacher will be providing a link to a Sign Up Genius so you can pick the time for your child's assessment. Please make sure that your child doesn't miss this assessment time slot, as we need all students to be assessed.
Thank you for your cooperation and support!
Back to School Night
Lunches and Food Pickups
Grab and Go Lunches will continue to be provided on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 11am-1pm at Rancho Cotate High School, Technology Middle School, and Lawrence Jones Middle School.
The Redwood Empire Food Bank will continue to offer free food pickup for all families regardless of status on Wednesdays from 11am-1pm at Rancho Cotate High School, Technology Middle School, and Lawrence Jones Middle School.
It is critical that families that qualify fill out the Free and Reduced Meal Price Application for the 2020-2021 school year. The application is linked at the button below.
Greetings Evergreen Elementary families! We are so excited to be starting a new school year. I know this will be a beginning not like any other but we are resilient, we are flexible, and we are BOBCATS! PTA would like to give a huge THANK YOU shout out to our amazing Principal, Assistant Principal, teachers and staff for working so hard to organize everything for distance learning.
We are starting the school year ONLY using our secure online Totem membership site until further notice. It is mobile phone and computer friendly. You will have to have an email address to sign up but you’ll have full access to the current years member perks discount information and can automatically download your 2020-2021 membership card!
Link to our secure online site: https://jointotem.com/ca/rohnert-park/evergreen-elementary-pta/join
STUDENT RECOGNITION: When signing up, please don't forget to complete the student roster section. This will tell us who your child is and who is their teacher so we can give them recognition on our virtual classroom window display.
Please email us at email@example.com if you have any questions!
District English Language Advisory Committee (DELAC)
We would like to invite you to the first District English Language Advisory Committee (DELAC) meeting of the school year which will be held virtually on September 3, at 5:30 p.m. We welcome parents who are interested in providing guidance and input related to our programs and services for our English Learner Students. We will be discussing the District’s Learning Continuity and Attendance Plan which is the guiding document for services and resource allocations for the school year.
Zoom Meeting Information:
Topic: DELAC Meeting
Time: Sep 3, 2020 05:30 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 765 1074 7064
Social Emotional Corner
Evergreen Elementary is a PBIS school that focused on Restorative Practices. You will find information below regarding Virtual Evergreen Expectations, PBIS tips for distance learning, a few videos from our school counselor, Mrs. Epstein, as well as how to obtain mental health support for your child.
Virtual Evergreen Expectations
While learning at home, students can be given virtual Evergreen Expectations from guardians and teachers. If you notice your student going out of their way to make good decisions, show respect to self and/or others and solve problems, please fill this out and celebrate with them!
Weekly Expectation winners will be announced on our Facebook page by Ms. Rochelle and prizes will be sent home. Don’t forget to bookmark the link so that you can easily access our Expectation Tickets! Go Bobcats!
Evergreen Elementary School-Based Mental Health Support: Request for Appointment
Please click the button below to request an appointment with CRPUSD school-based mental health support. Appointments will be conducted either via video conferencing or by phone. Please note that these remote appointments are not intended to replace the student’s medical care or services provided by an outside mental health care provider. These services are intended to support students in identifying and managing difficult feelings, and in developing effective coping strategies during these challenging times. A school-based professional will contact you within two school days (Monday – Friday).
Important: This is not a crisis line. For crisis support dial 911 immediately, or one of the following resources listed below:
• Sonoma County Crisis Stabilization Unit: (707) 576-8181
• Sonoma County Suicide Prevention Hotline: (855) 587-6373
For additional wellness or mental health support, check out the CRPUSD External Distance Learning Resources at https://bit.ly/CRPUSHELPS
If you have questions about classes or academics, please contact your school’s counselor or administrators.
District English Language Advisory Council (DELAC) - Thursday, September 3rd @ 5:30pm via Zoom
Labor Day (No School) - Monday, September 7th
Material Pickup/Work Drop Off Day - Thursday, September 10th @8am-3pm on Emily Avenue curb
School Picture Day AND Material Pickup/Work Drop Off Day - Thursday, September 24th @8am-3pm in MU and on Emily Avenue curb
Columbus Day (No School) - Monday, October 12th
Teacher Professional Day (No School) - Monday, November 2nd