Your Bi-weekly Grade 12 Newsletter - 2013 Nov 01
Upcoming University Visits to EMS
ALL visits are held in the Career Centre unless otherwise stated.
- Wednesday, Nov. 6 - UBC - in Theatre
- Friday, Nov. 15 - McGill University
- Tuesday, Nov. 19 - University of Alberta
- Friday, Nov. 22 - Queens University
- Tuesday, Nov. 26 - BIG PSI Night - at Elgin Park Secondary
- Tuesday, Dec. 3 - University of Guelph
University of Calgary - TBD
Langara School of Management Info Session
Tuesday, Nov. 19th, 6pm
100 West 49th Avenue
Dessert and beverages will be served.
For more information, contact Danielle Rockel http://www.langara.bc.ca/departments/langara-school-of-management/events.html#mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
VANCOUVER FILM SCHOOL (VFS) OPEN HOUSE WEEKEND - NOV. 23 & 24
Are you considering a career in film, television, video games, animation, or design?
Over the past 26 years, Vancouver Film School has earned a reputation as the world's premier entertainment arts school. Our graduates are working around the world, shaping today's entertainment industry.
This November, we are offering students the one-of-a-kind opportunity to go behind the scenes at VFS and learn everything they need to know about kick-starting their entertainment career.
During the VFS Open House Weekend, you can:
• Explore our campuses
• Meet alumni, current students, faculty, and staff
• View student work
• Watch live demonstrations
Visit the Open House page
or call 1.800.661.4101.
Saturday, November 23
Makeup Design for Film & Television - 10:00am
420 Homer Street
Foundation Visual Art & Design - 10:00am
151 West Cordova Street
Film Production - 2:00pm
420 Homer Street
Animation & Visual Effects - 2:00pm
151 West Cordova Street
Sunday, November 24
Writing for Film & Television - 10:00am
198 West Hastings Street
Digital Design - 10:00am
420 Homer Street
Sound Design for Visual Media - 10:00am
1380 Burrard Street
Acting for Film & Television - 2:00pm
420 Homer Street
Game Design - 2:00pm
88 East Pender Street
BIG Post Secondary Information (PSI) Night
Tuesday, Nov. 26th, 7-9pm
13484 24 Avenue
The following schools will be presenting :
Capilano University (Cap U)
Emily Carr University
Vancouver Island University (VIU)
Okanagan College (OC)
University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)
University of Northern BC (UNBC)
Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)
Simon Fraser University (SFU)
Corpus Christi College (on UBC campus)
University of Victoria (UVic)
Thompson Rivers University (TRU)
Vancouver Community College (VCC)
BC Institute of Technology (BCIT)
Trinity Western University (TWU)
UVIC News Bulletin
1. Engineering tours for high school students – November 12, 2013
The Faculty of Engineering hosts their annual engineering high school tours day on Tuesday, November 12, 2013. Current faculty, students and staff will open the doors to prospective students and help them explore the fields of engineering and computer science through hands-on activities, guest lectures and department fairs. Interested participants and school groups must register for either the morning (8:45a.m. – 12:45p.m.) or afternoon (12:15p.m. – 4:00p.m.) session using the online registration form at www.uvic.ca/engrtours
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com
2. Changes to the English language proficiency requirement for international high school students studying in Canada
For the next two years, Undergraduate Admissions will be piloting a change to the English language proficiency requirement forstudents applying to UVic whose first language is not English.
International students applying for admission for September 2014 or 2015 will have the English language proficiency requirement waived if they have completed at least three years of full-time study (down from the current requirement of four years of study) at a high school in Canada.
3. Academic requirements for September 2014 undergraduate admission
Requirements for September 2014 admission to UVic, including Saskatchewan math curriculum changes, are available online through the Undergraduate Admissions website at www.uvic.ca/programreq
4. Self-reporting is now open for all Canadian high school curriculum students
Phase one of UVic’s self-reporting program is now open, giving current grade 12 secondary school students in all provinces the opportunity to self-report their final grade 11 marks to UVic and be considered for admission as early as this fall.
Quest University (Liberal Arts) - Squamish, B.C.
There are only 180 seats for new students for Fall 2014. Interested students should keep in mind the following deadlines:
- The Early Action Deadline is December 1st, 2013 – students who complete their free online application and submit their supporting documents by this date, will have an admission decision before January 1st, 2014. After this date, we will review applications on a rolling basis starting January 15th.
- The Recommended Application Deadline is March 1st, 2014 – we recommend students complete their Admissions application by March 1st due to the limited number of spots available for the Fall 2014 class. We will review applications after this date if space is available.
- The Scholarship Deadline is also March 1st, 2014 – a student’s Admissions application must be complete before applying for scholarships. If a student is applying for both scholarships and financial aid, these applications must be submitted at the same time. Students are reviewed only once for scholarship and/or financial aid.The majority of our students receive some form of scholarships or financial aid to offset the cost of tuition.
- The Enrolment Confirmation Deadline is May 1st, 2014. Students must confirm their enrolment by this date. Last year, we started our waitlist on May 2nd.
- The 2014 Global Issues Network (GIN) Conference at Quest is set for May 16th-18th and registration opens Feb.1st. This is a FREE event for students and their support teachers (travel grants are available). More information will be sent out in the New Year.
Horatio Alger Jim Pattison Alberta & British Columbia Scholarship Programs
- a commitment to pursue a post-secondary degree
- demonstrated integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity
- strength of character
- financial need
- a good academic record
- enrolment full time as a high school senior and taking classes during spring 2014;
- progressing normally toward graduation in the spring/summer 2014, with plans to enter a post-secondary institution no later than the fall following graduation;
- a strong commitment to pursuing and completing a degree at an accredited public or private post-secondary institution in Canada;
- critical financial need ($50,000 or less annual net income per family is preferred, if higher, explanation must be provided);
- involvement in co-curricular and community activities;
- a minimum grade percentage of 65;
- attend a high school and live in Alberta or BC; and
- Canadian citizenship.
*Scholarship awards are intended for post-secondary studies.
TO APPLY: Complete an on-line application at http://www.horatioalger.ca/scholarships
DEADLINE: Application and required documents must be submitted by December 1, 2013.
TD SCHOLARSHIPS FOR COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP
The focus of these scholarships is not primarily on rewarding the highest marks. The key criterion is outstanding community leadership, in balance with the student's academic performance.
Students can download an application or apply directly online at http://www.td.com/scholarship. The website also highlights the achievements of last year's scholarship recipients.
DEADLINE: December 6, 2013.
$60,000 Schulich Leader Scholarship
For more information, including access to our frequently asked questions, please visit http://www.schulichleaders.com.
DEADLINE: Tuesday, January 7th to Ms. Domingo or Mr. Webster.