May 11, 2018
Important Dates to Remember
- Wednesday, May 16th WCPSS closed due to teacher rally- NO SCHOOL
- Friday, May 18th- Books and Beyond Celebration
This Week at a Glance
- Volunteer Spotlight- Book Fair Family Night Coordinator
- General PTA meeting
- Yearbook payments are due!
- Books and Beyond Celebration Save the Date
- Order your school supplies
- What is going on May 16th? An update from our Advocacy Chair
- Save the Date for Field Day
Please note: We are still in need of a Yearbook Editor, as well as, a Veteran's Day Celebration Chairperson! If you would like to see both of these programs continue at Penny Road, please contact us.
This week's spotlight: Book Fair Family Night
This person will work with the Book Fair team to plan a relaxed evening event (about 1.5 hours) during the week of the Book Fair. The event is meant to be enjoyable for the kids and bring parents out to the Book Fair. In the past there have been: food trucks and a craft, ice cream and a scavenger hunt, etc.
1-2 volunteers needed
Time commitment: Depends on what the event entails and what you make of it. The actual event is 1.5 hours in the fall
If you would be willing to help with this, please email Amy Toland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final PTA meeting at 9:30 am on Tuesday, May 15th
- Voting in the following nominees to our Executive Board for the coming school year:
President- Amy Toland
Treasurer- Amber Olah
Secretary- Desiree Bolibaugh
Vice President of Special Programs- Beth Potts
Vice President of Fundraising- Barb Wright
Vice President of Volunteers- Kimberly Sporrer
Vice President of Communications- LaTisha Hitchcock
Vice President of Education- Andrea Finucaine
Vice President of Programs- Denise Rose
- Voting on any current budget amendments, as well as, voting in our new budget for the 2018-2019 school year.
- We will be recognizing and thanking the families whom we know are leaving Penny Road who have generously donated their time over their years here.
- We will introduce the Dillard Drive Middle School Principal and you will have the opportunity for a Meet and Greet after the meeting.
- We will officially welcome Penny Road's new principal, Mrs. Gia Hoke!
Yearbook payments are due
Books and Beyond Celebration
Order your school supplies for the coming school year!
A PTA Advocacy Update
As you know, WCPSS will be closed on Wednesday, May 16th as a result of the tremendous wave of teachers requesting personal leave in order to attend the education march and rally in Raleigh.
This advocacy effort is not just limited to Wake County. Teachers in several counties around the State submitted overwhelming numbers of personal leave requests in order to meet elected officials on their first day back for the May session. Teachers, parents, administrators, and advocacy organizations from around North Carolina plan to meet in Raleigh for a march to the General Assembly building, face time with legislators, attend the opening meeting in the GA, and an afternoon rally.
This community is pushing for a variety of requests for public schools:
- increase in per pupil spending;
- increase in teacher pay (including compensation for advanced degrees and longevity);
- investment in public school student health and safety including increase in school counselors, school nurses, social worker, and support personnel;
- investment in the physical public school spaces (renovations and new construction proposals).
What can I do to support our teachers and the May 16th event?
Attend the march, sit in the General Assembly gallery to observe the opening sessions and/or attend the 3pm rally on the Bicentennial Plaza Mall behind the Legislative Building. [For more information on times, parking, march route and FAQs: http://www.ncae.org/advocacy-day/)
Call or write your elected officials and tell them directly that you support the requests listed above.
Rep. Nelson Dollar
N.C. House of Representatives
300 N Salisbury Street, Room 307B
Raleigh, NC 27603-5925
Senator Tamara Barringer
300 N Salisbury Street, Room 629
Raleigh, NC 27603-5925
Information from WCPSS can be found here:
Save the Date for this year's Field Day
Wednesday, June 6th- 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm Kindergarten and First Grades
Thursday, June 7th- 9:45 am to 11:45 am 2nd and 3rd Grades
Thursday, June 7th- 12:45 pm to 2:45 pm 4th and 5th Grades
Be on the lookout for a Volunteer sign up that will be sent out via Konstella! Any questions, please email Amy Toland (email@example.com)