Perry Township Office of English Learners
The southside of Indianapolis is the largest population of people from Burma in the United States. The military coup in Burma is affecting our neighbors and their friends and families still there.
One of our parent liaisons, K Jack William, explains what is happening in Burma right now.
How can we support this Civil Disobedience Movement in Burma?
1. Share on Social Media
2. Write letters to Senators, Congressmen, President Biden
3. Donate if you can.
Over 80% of Certified Staff in Perry Township have been SIOP trained.
Deep Thinking in Small Groups
One area that has been especially challenging through the pandemic is group work. We know that small groups and partners are essential for our students to learn. Here is a way to set up groupings, so that all students have roles that are meaningful and thought-provoking.
Once taught, cognitive strategies can be consistently practiced and implemented through the use of reciprocal teaching, which encourages students to take a leadership role in their learning and begin to think about their thought process while listening or reading. Teachers can use reciprocal teaching during class discussions, with text that is read aloud, and later with text that is read in groups. The students should rotate between the following roles:
- Questioner, who poses questions about parts of the lesson, discussion, or text that are unclear or confusing, or to help make connections with previously learned material.
- Summarizer, who sums up each important point or detail from the lesson, discussion, or text.
- Clarifier, who tries to address the Questioner’s issues and make sure that parts they found confusing are clear to others.
- Predictor, who makes a prediction about what will happen next based on what was presented, discussed, or read,
Bookmarks to prompt student thinking
4/5/21-4/19/21 Pre-reporting data validation window (LEAs in AMS)
5/24/21 Initial results release (online reports) in WIDA AMS
*The EL Department will schedule WIDA data meetings with each building once the WIDA results are in.
Perry Township Schools Office of English Learners
Phone number: 317-789-3720
Lisa Netsch-EL Supervisor
Nichole Seal-EL Coach