One School, One Purpose: Together We Can!
Sept 21, 2020 Volume 3, Issue 9
Weekly Update from Dr. B.
Dear Parkside Parents & Guardians,
Thank you again to everyone for all their hard work and support. This is truly a team effort between the school, students, and parents. I continue to be impressed by our students, while our current reality is not ideal, our students are rising to our expectations.
I know that we continue to have some connectivity issues. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at Parkside if you need assistance with obtaining a device for your student, internet access, or a hot spot. We are here to help, and our primary goal is for our students to be actively engaged in the learning process.
I would like to take a moment to remind parents to complete the Free & Lunch Application. It needs to be completed yearly, and even though our students are not currently in school there are many other benefits afforded to children and families who qualify. If you have been eligible in the past, or due to our current COVID-19 circumstances you believe you may be eligible, please take the time to complete the application. We are here to help. You can come to us in-person or over the phone, and we will work with you. Eligibility in this program provides 1-year FREE Comcast Internet, discounts for SACC as well as Sport Leagues. Additionally, if we remain virtual past the first quarter, there will be additional support for meals. Currently over 150 Parkside families have not applied.
Attendance is important for all of our students. We have begun to dive into NEW CONTENT. Our students will have plenty of assignments to complete online, without having to try to catch up on LIVE lessons they may miss. Our teachers at Parkside are committed to providing our students with quality LIVE learning. Some will be teacher-driven, but there will also be time for students to collaborate with one another, receive small group instruction, if needed, as well as time to work individually. We are taking attendance for each and every LIVE session, and all attendance will be entered into the HUB. Please make sure you communicate with our main office staff if your child has to miss any of their LIVE lessons. Again, if you need assistance with internet access, please reach out to us, we have the ability to help. If you need a device, even though you shared you had one of your own, please let us know. We are here to help.
As always, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions or concerns. And I promise you, if I have not answered your question(s) yet, I am working on it, and will be in touch.
"One School, One Purpose; Together We Can!"
Parents & Guardians, please read the IMPORTANT information below:
If you need any assistance with the information below, please do not hesitate to contact Parkside, and ask for Mrs. Lourdes Dutch, our Parent Liaison. She will be more than willing to walk you through the application.
Dear Parent or Guardian:
Meals are available for free or reduced prices for eligible students in Prince William County Public Schools. In order to receive these benefits, you must apply for meal assistance every year. Applications filed last year are only good for the first few days of school. Children from households that meet Federal Income Guidelines shown in the attached letter are eligible for a minimum of reduced price meals.
The fastest way to apply for free and reduced price meal benefits for your child is to apply online at http://track.spe.schoolmessenger.com/f/a/KjTzrBNTGfJywUYzZZhToQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRhDrzMP0QZaHR0cDovL3B3Y3NudXRyaXRpb24uY29tL1cHc2Nob29sbUIKAEdMiS1fpD5I-1IRYm95bnRvbWpAcHdjcy5lZHVYBAAAAAE~.
Online applications are typically processed within 48 hours of submission.
Households receiving SNAP or TANF for their children or who have foster children may not have to fill out an application. School officials will notify those households of children who do not need to apply. If you do not receive notification by September 5, 2020, you must contact School Food & Nutrition Services, or submit an application.
School Food & Nutrition Services
Prince William County Public Schools
P.O. Box 389
Manassas, VA 20108
Good Morning Parkside Panthers!
The counseling team hopes that your first week went smooth and that you are just as excited as we are for this unique start to school.
We know that several of you have had questions about your course selections. Please remember that we collected course requests a little different this year through an online format for our 7th and 8th graders. Our 6th graders got to meet with us and fill out the forms how we normally do. We have tried to place everyone into the classes they chose, but each request is just that, a request. Sometimes we have to change requests because of things we can't control such as a class being removed (year long art for 6th grade) or because the class had way more requests than spaces (creative writing for 8th grade).
If after the end of this week you and your parent or guardian still feel like you need to change a class please go to the counseling links portion of the PKMS Counseling Suite and click on the form for a request to change your class. Make sure to fill it out fully and have your parent/guardian review. Once you submit it, it will come to Ms. Wines who will review it and pass it along to Dr. Boynton for final review and decision making. Your counselor will follow up with you via your email to let you know if any changes will occur.
As always, if you need anything please let us know. We miss you all and can't wait to see you soon!
Parkside School Counseling Team
October 1 and 2
There will be more information on this pick up date soon!
We look forward to seeing you there.
Parents, please pre-fill the form below and print it out or send via email to GriffiAN@pwcs.edu
FEATURED ART WORK
ATTENTION ALL ROBOTICS ENTHUSIASTS:
Ready for some SCHOOL SPIRIT
Please click on the following link for Parkside back to school spirt wear.
PWC Public Library Card Drive!
PKMS Library Presents our very first in person PWC Public Library Card Drive!
Please join us: October 1st from Noon-4pm or October 2nd from 8am-Noon
We will have representatives from the PWC Public Library here to issue out new library cards to anyone who doesn't have one. You can walk away with a brand new card and all you need to do is have a parent or guardian with a valid driver's license present. The student or students must be present as well. If you would like to bring a completed application, you can download one at http://bit.ly/pwclibcard , or we will have applications ready for you to fill out. We look forward to seeing everyone and getting those Public Library resources in your hands and at your fingertips.
Parkside Cambridge House System & House Points
Groceries available for ALL families....
Please find attached our Meal Flyer (English/Spanish)with more information and locations. Below are details for the two student categories – in-person and virtual:
- In-person Students
- All student meals until December 31 will be FREE.
- All students will be sent home with a sack lunch on Friday to cover Monday.
- Your Café Manager should have already reached out on hot breakfast/lunch logistics.
- Virtual Students
- Families will have the option to pick-up a full or half weeks’ worth of grocery supplements (whole fruit, dairy, loafs of bread, packages of cheese, etc.)
- Distribution will be from 12 noon – 6:00 p.m. on Mondays and Thursday at the 56 on locations listed on the attached flyer. If school is closed on Monday, distribution will move to Tuesday.
- Schools listed in WHITE font will offer a larger benefit, due to an additional USDA program available at those sites, but meals at all sites are free of charge.
- The goal is to encourage families to pick-up on Mondays, but we understand many do not have the capacity to store a week’s worth of grocery supplements.
- Any family who experiences a hardship coming to a preferred location/time will be directed to their home school’s Cafeteria Manager, so we can work with the family to make arrangements.
Return to Learn Packet available in ParentVUE
- Normally schools send home a “first day packet” with important information and forms to be completed.
- This year PWCS is providing the information virtually and paperless, via the Return to Learn Packet, now available in ParentVUE.
- All families should complete the Return to Learn Packet by Friday, September 25, 2020.
- The information you provide will allow school staff to ensure the safety of your student this school year.
- To access the Return to Learn Packet, please login to your ParentVUE account and go to “Online Registration” in the top right corner.
- For ease of use, a web browser on a computer is recommended. The forms can be completed using the ParentVUE App for Apple devices or on Android devices using a browser.
- Instructions for completing the Return to Learn Packet.
- If a parent/guardian needs to make changes to information once they submit the Return to Learn Packet, they can resubmit anytime with updated information following the same instructions in number seven.
- If you need assistance, or do not have an active ParentVUE account, please contact your child’s school.
PKMS Library's Curbside Pick-Up
During this virtual instruction time, our Parkside Library is pleased to offer Curbside Pick Up starting the week of August 24th!! Students are encouraged to access the Parkside library Curbside Pick Up form at https://bit.ly/PKMSCurbside
From this page we encourage you to search and explore our collection. The catalog can be found at https://bit.ly/parkside-catalog . Remember we allow everyone 2 books for 2 weeks. If you need to renew your books, fill out the form again and indicate that you just want to renew. If you’re still holding onto books from last year, we will need those to be returned or paid for so that you and enjoy reading something new.
Who: Students or Staff
What: Check out any of our books or e-books
When: Complete the form by Wednesday at Noon and pick up your books Thursday from 12-4 or Friday from 8-12.
Where: Books checked out can be picked up from the Parkside lobby by students or parents with the student’s Name, Grade Level, and Student ID (lunch number)
Returns: Books can be returned to the Book Carts in the lobby during pick up times, or e-books can be returned online.
How Many: Students can check out 2 books at a time for 2 weeks. When books are returned new books can be checked out.
How: Fill out the form found at https://bit.ly/PKMSCurbside This link can also be found on the Parkside webpage virtual schoolhouse.
- Groceries Pick Up from 12:00-6:00 p.m.
Monday, September 28, 2020
- Groceries Pick Up from 12:00-6:00 p.m.
- Parkside Back to School VIRTUAL EVENT