September 15, 2019
Jensen Jaguar Families!
Over the past few weeks, our students and teachers have been busy with initial assessments. The initial assessments allow teachers to better plan and design instruction addressing student and classroom needs. Parent-Teacher Conferences officially begin next week. Take some time before you attend your child's conference to jot down any questions you may have. It's good to let the teacher know if you have specific questions or concerns so she can address them in the course of the conference or at least she will be able to follow-up with you afterward. Keep in mind that you and your child's teacher have the same goal: To help your child succeed in school. When you meet with your child's teacher for Parent-Teacher Conferences, the conferences will be back to back so please be on time and respectful of the schedule. Conferences focus on learning, although behavior and social concerns might be discussed. Your child's teacher will review your child's progress, including strengths and areas in need of improvement. Even if you know all is well, attending conferences shows your kids that you're interested in how they do in school and allows you and your child's teacher to build a collaborative working relationship. If your family has specific needs such as a translator or time for two separate family conferences, please communicate these needs with your child's teacher.
Please take note of our Fall Conference schedule with our early release days below. There will be a Friday lunch service available Tues.-Th. for students who want to buy lunch after they get out of school. Otherwise, students are released from school at the times listed below. There is no lunch recess:
September is Attendance Awareness Month. Please take a moment to review the attendance and new CVUSD Independent Study information below.
- CVUSD is sponsoring the 3rd cohort of Black Minds Matter. The 10-week program examines the challenges faced by our African American students as well as research-based strategies to improve success. See the flyer for more information. Session 1 begins Sept. 16.
- Wed., 9/18 The movie Like, a documentary about the impact of social media. The target audience is students in grades 5-8 and families but open to all. See flyer below. Click here for more information.
- Tues., 9/24, Wed., 9/25, & Th., 9/26 Kinder Release @ Noon and 1st-5th gr. Release @ 12:30 p.m.
- Fri., 9/27 No School-Conferences all-day
Please save the following links:
School Website https://jensenranch.cv.k12.ca.us/
Jensen PTA Website http://jensenranchpta.us/
Facebook @lisamacleanprincipal and @JensenRanchPTA
Ms. MacLean, Principal
Thank You Parent Site Representatives
Thank you to the following individuals who are serving as parent representatives to various site and district committees and programs this school year:
School Site Council:
CVUSD LCAP Advisory Committee:
Superintendent's Parent Leadership Team:
September is Attendance Month!
CA Education Code requires that students attend school 180 days unless they are ill or are on short term independent study due to extenuating circumstances.
Absences due to vacation are considered unexcused absences and cause your child to miss valuable instructional time. Please also note that extended unexcused absences of three days or more are referred to the School Attendance Review Team (SART). Although we understand the importance of family trips and vacations, we ask families to please plan trips during school holidays and vacations so that your child will not miss valuable instructional time.
Tardies also impact your student. Walking in late to class day after day can affect your child's self-esteem as well as a loss to instructional time. If you are having trouble getting your child out the door in the morning, please contact Ms. MacLean. Together we work on a plan to support your family. If you personally are having a hard time getting out the door in the morning, please take the necessary steps to adjust your schedule, make a family plan and communicate any needs/issues with the school. We can only achieve success when we work together and each do our part!
Please click the link to review the updated CVUSD board policy on independent study.
- Independent studies must be 5 days and no more than 10 days.
- No Independent Studies are granted during the first 10 days of the school year.
- No Independent Studies are granted for the last 15 days of the school year.
- A minimum of 10 days prior notice is required to request an Independent Study. An Independent Study form must be completed no less than 10 days prior to the requested Independent Study.
- Students granted Independent Study will be expected to complete daily written assignments in all subject areas which are due the first school day following the end of the contract.
September 15 begins national recognition of Hispanic Heritage Month. As with the recognition of all groups, we will take some time to recognize the culture, history, and contributions of Latinos today and throughout history. Our library will highlight a book display and include library read alouds. We are hoping to add additional activities so if you have any ideas, please let us know!
Hispanic Heritage Month is the period to recognize the contributions, culture and history of Hispanic Americans and Latinos from across the globe. The observation started in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week under President Lyndon Johnson and was expanded by President Ronald Reagan in 1988 to cover a 30-day period starting on September 15 and ending on October 15. It was enacted into law on August 17, 1988, on the approval of Public Law 100-402.
September 15 was chosen as the starting point for the celebration because it is the anniversary of independence of five Latin American countries: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. They all declared independence in 1821. In addition, Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence days on September 16 and September 18, respectively. Public Law 100-402 authorizes and requests the President to issue an annual proclamation designating September 15 through October 15 as “Hispanic Heritage Month”
Jensen Ranch PTA Updates
Dear Jensen Ranch Families,
SHOP AMAZON AND SUPPORT YOUR SCHOOL!!!
Shopping with Amazon Smile is the simplest way to support Jensen Ranch programs such as music and art!
3 Easy Steps:
1. Go to smile.amazon.com and login with your Amazon account. Your account will be the same with all your sopping list, registers, etc.
2. On your first visit to AmazonSmile choose the charitable organization - Jensen Ranch Elementary PTA
3. Now you can start shopping as you always do, and Amazon will give up to 0.5% of the eligible purchase price to our school!!
Thank you so much for your continuing support!
Jensen Ranch PTA Board
Become a PTA Member!
Become a voting member of the Jensen PTA! The cost is $20 per person and your membership affords you the right to vote on critical programs and events run by the PTA at our association meetings. PTA members can also serve as program chairs and board members.
Potential Parcel Tax Measure
Castro Valley Unified School District (CVUSD) provides an excellent education that prepares students to graduate ready for competitive colleges and 21st-century careers. This is possible thanks to strong academic programs, excellent teachers, high-performing students and a supportive community.
Planning for the Future
As we look to the future, we know we cannot rely on the state to provide the level of funding our schools need. Our District is among the lowest funded in Alameda County and has already made $1.8 million in ongoing cuts in the past two years. Additionally, the Bay Area is one of the most expensive places to live in the country, and many of our teachers live right here in Castro Valley. By retaining and attracting the highest quality teachers, we can improve student achievement and continue providing an excellent education to students.
Potential Local Funding Measure
To provide dedicated funding for our schools to support programs and teachers, the Castro Valley Unified School District Board of Education is considering placing a local parcel tax measure on an upcoming ballot. Although no final decisions have been made, a measure may cost $96 per parcel per year and generate $1.5 million annually for six years.
Funds from a measure could:
- Retain and attract highly qualified teachers
- Preserve strong academic programs in reading, writing, science, technology, engineering, arts and math
- Prepare students for college and careers
- Support the health and well-being of all students
- Keep schools clean and well-maintained
Fiscal Accountability Provisions of Potential Local Measure
- All revenue from the measure would be spent right here in our District to support local schools and could not be taken away by the State
- A citizens’ oversight committee and annual audits would ensure that all funds are spent as promised
- No funds could go to administrator salaries
- Seniors would be eligible for an exemption from the cost
Chicken Art at the Fall Festival!
Mark Your Calendars!
9/16 Black Minds Matter Cohort begins-see flyer below
9/18 School Site Council (SSC) 3:15-4:15, Library
9/18 "Like" the Movie @ Center for Arts, 6:30 p.m.-see flyer below
9/24-9/26. Early Release-Fall Conference Days (Kinder @ Noon, 1st-5th @ 12:30 p.m.)
Fri., 9/27 No School-Fall Conference Day
Fri., 10/4 Principal's Coffee & Tea 8:30-9:30 a.m. MPR
Th., 10/10 Jensen Ranch School Board Presentation @ 7pm, CVUSD Board Room
Th., 10/17 The Great Shake-Out
Fri., 10/18 PTA Walkathon afterschool
Tues.,10/22 Make-Up Picture Day
Fri., 10/25 PTA Fall Halloween Carnival
Fri., 11/1 Principal's Coffee & Tea 8:30-9:30 a.m. MPR
Fri., 11/8 Last Day of 1st Trimester
Fri., 11/11 No School-Veterans Day
11/13-11/14 Early Release Days for Report Cards (Kinder @ Noon, 1st-5th @ 1:50 p.m.)
Fri., 11/22 1st Trimester Report Cards Sent Home
11/25-11/29 No School-Thanksgiving Break
12/23-1/3 No School-Winter Break
Early Release Fridays @ Noon for all students each Friday!
Check the online school calendar for updates by going to the Jensen Ranch school website.