The Towler Times
November 13th, 2015
Our Week of Learning...
- In our guided reading groups we began taking notes in our planet journals. We have already learned so many interesting facts about some planets and the sun!! Students worked on asking "thin" questions. Ask your learner to explain a "thin" question. Also ask your learner to recite our acronym to remember each planet's order from the sun! (MVEMJSUN) During our "Tech Time" center: students use their individual devices. This week, and last, the students explored NASA's Picture Dictionary. The students were to then create a Padlet to share what they learned. This has been our first experience using Padlet in our class.
- In the computer lab we continued our work with Padlet. However, this time, we checked out Wonderopolis and then created a Padlet to share what we learned after reading a "Wonder."
Below you will find links to our Wonderopolis Padlet and our NASA Padlet. Enjoy checking out what students have learned!!
- In math, we prepared for our Module 1 exam. We played a fun Jeopardy style game in the classroom. The students did a wonderful job showing good sportsmanship! The students did an outstanding job on the test! We will spend some time on the study of area before our Thanksgiving holiday break. Next up...Place Value!
- Many completed their narrative rough draft writing. Next week we will work on the editing process and writing our final copies.
Bullying Behaviors Make us CrAzY!!!
Hour of Code!!
We live in a world surrounded by technology. And we know that whatever fields our students choose to go into as adults, their ability to succeed will increasingly hinge on understanding how technology works. This is why 3T has signed up to participate in the annual Hour of Code during the week of December 7th - 13th!! We are very excited to again take part in one of the largest learning events in history! For more information, please visit: https://hourofcode.com/us
Star of the Week...Maura!!
Maura has 1 brother, 1 dog and 2 gerbils. She loves donuts, playing outside with neighbors, playing soccer and playing her keyboard!! Her favorite subject is writing and her favorite book is The Giving Tree. She hopes to someday travel to Italy! On Expert Day Maura played her keyboard for us! We all enjoyed the performance which turned into a 3T dance party! Great job, Maura!
I look forward to speaking with everyone at conferences! Because our time is limited to only 20 minutes, it is important that the time is used effectively. To help me plan for our discussion, I'd love to have your input on this trimester. If you have any specific questions or concerns that you would like to discuss during our time together, please take a few minutes to email me at your convenience. I look forward to this time of sharing!
A look ahead...
- Thursday, November 19th: "Stand Together Against Bullying Behaviors" Day. Students are encouraged to wear WES school colors and/or the color RED to signify a stop sign as a message that WES Patriots are aiming to STOP bullying behaviors.
- Friday, November 20th: Wear a Word Day! Information came home Thursday via your child's backpack.
- November 23rd and 24th: Parent Teacher Conferences. If you haven't already signed up for a conference, please do so. I look forward to meeting with everyone!
- November 23rd - 27th: No School
Your learner may have come home at one point and spoke of a cumulative, student directed pioneer project. With how busy we have been in 3rd grade, it has been decided that this project will turn into a cumulative, student directed space project. At the end of our space unit, students will have an opportunity to share what they have learned in a way most meaningful to them. (More information will be sent home at a later date.) With that being said, some students were super excited to create a project, of their choosing, showing what they have learned about pioneers. It was explained to the students that they can still create a pioneer project, however, it is strictly optional. Please contact me with any questions. Thank you!
Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.