Erin McKillip Yellow layer #4
Eating disorder facts
- Eating disorders can be genetic or caused by issues with their physiology like family trouble, control issues, social issues, etc.
- About 24 million people in the u.s. struggle with an eating disorder.
- Out of those 24 million people only about 10% receive treatment, and only 35% seek treatment from a facility that specializes in eating disorders.
- From a survey a college conducted 91% of the women said they would diet to control their weight.
- Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate out of any of the mental illnesses.
- More than 50% of girls and 33% of boys have admitted to using unhealthy ways of losing weight such as smoking, skipping meals, etc.
- 58% of women feel pressured to maintain a certain weight, most likely more.
- Men feel ashamed to admit they have an eating disorder because its not associated with men but they make up 10-15% of the people who have eating disorders.
- 69% of girls admitted photographs of models and people on magazines inspire their desired body shape.
"Eating and Food Issues." Good Theraphy. Accessed February 23, 2014. http://www.goodtherapy.org/therapy-for-eating-disorders.html.