Waverley Elementary School News
Accelerating to New Heights
IMPORTANT- The following information has been sent home:
- All parents who have students in 4th and 5th grade this school year, received a letter notifying them of information relating to our state testing formally known as PARCC, recently named MCAP.
- We had our Open House on August 29th where we passed out information regarding our attendance goal for the school year, a brochure that provided information regarding being a Title I school, and grade level newsletters.
- On Thursday, October 2nd we sent home a letter from Dr. Terry Alban our county's Superintendent. This letter informed you of your right to ask for and receive information about the professional qualifications of your child's/children's classroom teacher and paraprofessionals who may work with your child/children.
If you did not receive these documents and would like copies or more information please contact the school at (240) 236-3900 and ask for Karyn Snyder.
Peanut Butter Collection at Waverley
We will be collecting these jars through November, so lets see how many peanut butter jars we can collect :)
Upcoming Important Dates
- ***Monday, October 21st - School Meal forms due ***
- Wednesday, October 23 -School Opens 4 hours late at 12:30 pm, evening conferences, No 1/2 day Pre-K
- Wednesday, October 23- Unity Day, wear orange or blue to show your support for safe and supportive schools and communities
- Thursday, October 24 -School Opens 4 hours late at 12:30 pm, evening conferences, No 1/2 day Pre-K
- Friday, October 25–School Closes 3.5 hours early at 12:00 noon, afternoon conferences, No 1/2 day Pre-K
- Wednesday, October 30- Parent Table Talk Event, 9:00-10:00 am. There will be a raffle for a Giant Eagle gift card and all parents who attend will be entered into the raffle!
- Thursday, October 31 -Dress up like it is 1969 to celebrate Waverley's 50th Birthday!
- Thursday, November 7 - PTA Meeting, 6:00-7:00 pm in Waverley's Cafeteria
- Friday, November 8 - School Closed for Students, Teacher Work Day for Report Cards
Introducing our Newest Staff Member!
Mrs. Metral will work closely with Ana Mejia to best serve our students and families at Waverley Elementary School.
Waverley Reminders and Information
Attendance: Attendance Counts at Waverley and Every Minute Matters! Our students need to be here every day to ensure they are learning and are set up for success! IF your child is out sick please send or bring in a doctor’s note so that our secretary can update your student’s file. You can also email your notes to Sonia.Rivera@fcps.org.
Arrival/Pick-up Procedures: If your student is going to be a car rider and has not gotten a car rider number please come to the school to sign up for a number for the school year. If your student’s transportation changes during the year PLEASE send a note in to the front office as well as the classroom teacher so that we ensure they are safely getting home each evening.
Changes in daily transportation need to be called in to the school by 3:00 pm.
Car Rider Pick-ups - You MUST have your assigned car rider number in your window so that we can efficiently dismiss your student(s).
PTA: At Waverley we strive for collaboration between families, staff and the community. Our PTA is a great group to be a member of so we can work together to make your student’s education experience the best it can be. At our meetings your voice will be heard! Please consider signing up for our PTA and coming out to our meetings. Be ONE VOICE with us!
- November 7th is our next PTA meeting and we welcome everyone to join us!
- New Spirit Wear will be coming soon!!
Parent and Family Events: We are planning our parent and family events for the school year. We are looking forward to all the fun we will have with you at these events. All parent and family event invitations will be on golden, yellow paper so watch out for these invitations and send them back in your child's/children's back pack as soon as possible so we can best plan for a terrific event!
Family Engagement Team: Ana Mejia (Community Liaison), Alex Metral (Community Liaison), and Karyn Snyder (Title I Support) are looking for interested parents to be on Waverley's Family Engagement Team this school year. This team is important for our school as we work together to create a plan that will meet our family engagement goals for the year. This plan will help us to improve our practices in order to best meet the needs of Waverley's students and families.
The Family Engagement Team meeting dates and times are listed below:
- Friday, December 6, 10:00-11:30 am
Friday, January 17, 10:00-11:30 am
Friday, February 7, 10:00-11:30 am
Friday, March 6, 10:00-11:30 am
Friday, April 3, 10:00-11:30 am
**Transportation for these meetings can be provided if you should need it.**
Communication is important to us so please check your student’s backpack each night to ensure you are up-to-date on important information. We will be using Schoology for home communication this year. If you are unsure if you have this account set up or if you need assistance please call the school and ask for Karyn Snyder.
We will also continue to use Find Out First and Thursday folders to send home reminders. Let us know if you ever have any questions, comments, or concerns.
**During parent/teacher conferences you will have the opportunity to ask questions or receive help with setting up your Schoology account if you should need it. This will be happening in the cafeteria.**
Attendance Counts at Waverley and WE pledge to be here every day ready to learn!
EVERY MINUTE MATTERS!Our attendance is off to a great start and we met our goal of 96% in September! Here is how each grade level did:
- Pre-Kindergarten - 94.8%
- Kindergarten - 94.6%
- 1st Grade - 97.0%
- 2nd Grade - 96.7%
- 3rd Grade - 97.5%
- 4th Grade - 97.3%
- 5th Grade - 96.2%
- Whole School - 96.3% - MET GOAL!
Positive Behavior Supports (PBS) Pointers
Effective parenting and teaching are very similar. Both require patience, perseverance and consistency. The following article contains helpful discipline tips for parents of young children:
Please feel free to contact Mrs. Workmeister (email@example.com), Behavioral Support Specialist at Waverley, if you have any concerns regarding your child’s behavior at home or school.
October is National Bullying Prevention Month
Our school will be focusing on the Character Trait of Respect and preventing bullying by encouraging kindnesss, acceptance, and inclusion. Join our school in celebrating Unity Day on October 23rd by wearing orange or blue.